Board logo

Brake pipe bulkhead fittings
James - 15/4/04 at 11:01 PM

Anybody know where I can get a male-to-bulkhead-male fitting brake pipe converter?

I got a bit over keen when I saw some male/female flexi pipes for sale and bought them without remembering that they should ideally be male/bulkhead-male.



NS Dev - 15/4/04 at 11:10 PM


[Edited on 15/4/04 by NS Dev]

Findlay234 - 16/4/04 at 08:17 AM

james i gave rally design a call yesterday with their catalogue in hand and they basically sorted it for me. Any questions i had he would relate to a part in the cataolgue and if i asked what a part number did hed describe, really good and would use them again. Jast call and chat to them about your needs.......

Jasper - 16/4/04 at 11:16 AM

Don't think even Rally Des could help with my needs

James - 20/4/04 at 10:27 AM

Thanks everyone- Raldes have them so will call them.



GO - 20/4/04 at 12:22 PM

James, it sounds like you've done it (almost) the way I wanted to.

I dont understand why its the flexi's that have the bulkhead fitting, surely it makes more sense for the fixed lines to have the bulkhead attachment??

So what have you got, fixed line female -> male bulkhead male <- female flexi?

James - 20/4/04 at 01:58 PM


I wouldn't do it the way I have if I was you!

"So what have you got, fixed line female -> male bulkhead male <- female flexi?"

Yes, this is what it's going to be. I don't want it to be this way really but if I change it then I'll have to buy new flexi lines. This way it's just *another* 2.50 per corner for the bulkhead.

The disadvantage of doing it this way is that you have an extra connection in the lines (more leakage point) and I'm still going to have a problem with lock-nutting the body end of the flexi to the bulkhead as I suspect it'll be too short to get a locknut on. Maybe Araldite will fix it but not sure if getting Araldite involved in brake threads is a good idea!

All in all I've dropped a bollock but it seems a pity to chuck away my sexy Goodridge flexis now!



[Edited on 20/4/04 by James]

tomban - 14/5/04 at 08:30 AM


I was just wondering, what is the best way to get a brake pipe through a bulkhead?

I'm talking about normal copper pipe rather than braided flexi.

I found the fixing in the pic below on an american website, and wondered if these could be bought in the UK somewhere.

Is this the best way and can they be found?

Thanks in advance for any help!


Findlay234 - 14/5/04 at 12:52 PM

try raldes as above, i think theyll sort you out.

tomban - 19/5/04 at 06:54 AM

Just to let you know.

It appears Rally Design only do a 10mm (I am after imperial, but forgot to say ) version. Which is a pity 'cause they're only just up the road from me.

I've found exactly what I want from a place called Earls, they list them under bike products.

They seem to have all manner of fittings, and in different materials like steel or aluminium.

NS Dev - 19/5/04 at 05:16 PM

If you want everything that Earls do, but at more wallet friendly prices, then give Think Automotive ( a call, they do any fitting you can imagine from Aerospace spec down to copper line end fittings, in every size. Still not cheap, but a lot cheaper than Earls!!!