Board logo

You get what you pay for ?
ken555 - 12/6/17 at 08:21 PM

Description
Description

Friend of mine took this photo yesterday of an Ariel Atom seat, doesn't look the quality I would have expected for the price.

[Edited on 12-6-17 by ken555]

coozer - 12/6/17 at 08:41 PM

LOOKS VERY THIN!

ste - 12/6/17 at 09:51 PM

What am I missing?

It is a carbon fibre seat. It's thin because it is strong. It is a homologated seat so will be approved.

ken555 - 12/6/17 at 10:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ste
What am I missing?

It is a carbon fibre seat. It's thin because it is strong. It is a homologated seat so will be approved.

The weave at the edges seems a bit rough ?

Top of the head restraint and 270 degree from left harness hole.

mark chandler - 13/6/17 at 02:38 AM

Does look like a factory second, I would have returned it

ste - 13/6/17 at 04:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ken555
quote:
Originally posted by ste
What am I missing?

Looks like any other autoclaved carbon part to be honest. It looks that was because it has been vacuumed down. the face side will have been against a mold so will be smooth.

phelpsa - 13/6/17 at 05:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ste
quote:
Originally posted by ken555
quote:
Originally posted by ste
What am I missing?

Looks like any other autoclaved carbon part to be honest. It looks that was because it has been vacuumed down. the face side will have been against a mold so will be smooth.

That's not been anywhere near an autoclave

russbost - 13/6/17 at 07:06 AM

Loads of weave missing at the top of the seat, & to N/S above seat belt hole - no one's mentioned what looks like a crack or potential starting point for a crack in that same area? Quite frankly I think the quality looks dire!

nick205 - 13/6/17 at 08:39 AM

Not that I can afford an Atom, but if I were shelling out for one I'd definitely expect better a better finish than that.

Charlie_Zetec - 13/6/17 at 09:58 AM

Quite a large weave on the woven glass, and unsure if it's carbon fibre or just plain woven roving glass mat - composites are a lot stronger than people often give them credit for, especially with the different resins used, and even 0.05mm thickness can make a substantial difference to strength. So without knowing the composition, can't really comment about the rigidity.

But as for the aesthetics.... you'll always end up with a glass strike-through on glass fibre products unless you finish with a tissue and/or gelcoat or topcoat. As it's at the rear of a seat, why would a company spend more money (which they'd undoubtedly pass onto the customer) finishing a product when the majority of it is out of view in daily life?

Having said that, I too can see the missing weaves near the top of the headrest - looks like they've not cut the glass mat properly, and just pulled. I wouldn't be happy with that. Or the joint/cracked area top left corner of the seat belt hole that looks somewhat wafty.

As said, if I had the money to buy an Atom and that appeared, I would be rejecting it or expecting some financial recompense for that product.

Mr Whippy - 14/6/17 at 11:29 AM

just horrid, I'm sure I could have done much better, trainee day perhaps