Board logo

Interior paneling and plastic mounting
ChrisJ15 - 18/8/18 at 01:03 PM

The sills in my J15 are large so I have opening tops to them for storage. The problem is without any dividers things clatter about (especially with lively driving!).

What I'd like to do is use a plastic profile a bit like this...

__¦¦__

So the base can be velcroed to the inside of the sill and some palstic materical can be inserted between the two vertical sections and maybe rivetted through.

Trouble is I can find that profile of plastic or any suitable plastic sheet. I've seen some plastic sheet that is embossed to look like vinyl but cant find a supplier.

Any ideas?

Andybarbet - 18/8/18 at 02:07 PM

I think you can get Ali extrusion used for carport type roofs that's a similar profile.

Put 'glazing bar' in an eBay search.

I picked up a couple of ABS sheets that are 5mm thick for when I panel my boot area, it's nice to work with using a jigsaw, I think I got it from RS Components.

[Edited on 18/8/18 by Andybarbet]

Slimy38 - 18/8/18 at 03:01 PM

I am expecting to do the same with my car for pockets, what I was going to go for is that odd 'sticky rubber' stuff that holds things still. This stuff;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-slip-Resistant-Non-slip-Mobile-Glasses/dp/B0746GM684

But cheaper and in a larger sheet. I figured the fact that it's rubber means that things won't actually rattle, and the sticky idea will at least slow things down if not stop them moving entirely.

obfripper - 18/8/18 at 03:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisJ15
The sills in my J15 are large so I have opening tops to them for storage. The problem is without any dividers things clatter about (especially with lively driving!).

What I'd like to do is use a plastic profile a bit like this...

__¦¦__

So the base can be velcroed to the inside of the sill and some palstic materical can be inserted between the two vertical sections and maybe rivetted through.

Trouble is I can find that profile of plastic or any suitable plastic sheet. I've seen some plastic sheet that is embossed to look like vinyl but cant find a supplier.

Any ideas?

Have a look here for plastic sheet:

http://www.plasticstockist.com/ABS-Sheet.aspx

Dave

rusty nuts - 18/8/18 at 04:15 PM

Would an aluminium extrusion work? I'm sure I have a length somewhere

ChrisJ15 - 18/8/18 at 04:29 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thanks Rusty Nuts but I think almunium would be too much of a PITA to bend to the currved profile of the sill.

I was thinking of using plastic so I could cut wedges out to allow if to follow the curve and use self adhesive velcro so I could move the partitions.