Board logo

Headrest pads
swanny - 20/6/19 at 09:03 AM

Hi there

has anyone made there own headrest pads? I'm looking to mount some to my cage for a bit of support and ideally would like to be able to swap the thickness of the padding to allow for wearing or not wearing a helmet on ling drives.

I'd love to see some pics of what you did and how.

thanks

paul

Abe - 20/6/19 at 10:56 PM

Hi Paul

I’m a rehab engineer and often need to prescribe headrests for wheelchair users. These often need custom mounting brackets etc as many patients have complex systems and postural backrests already in place and it’s part of my job to make something work for them.
I use a company called RMS. can’t see why you couldnt make something work with the headrests and mounting brackets on offer here. The headrest stem can be loosened and moved back if you need more room for a helmet.

https://www.ineedawheelchair.co.uk/sites/default/files/2019-04/RMS%20Posture%20Cat%20Issue8_2019_web.pdf
(Look specifically at pages 22-25 for the headrests and pages 31-33 for mounting hardware).
Other options!...
I often use an upholsterer to cover a foam headrest pad that I’ll manufacture if a custom solution or shape is required, you could have two pads, a thick and thin one that Velcros onto a curved plate behind your head, I use 6mm pvc and heat bend the shape I want and mount with the brackets in the catalogue.

Andy

[Edited on 20/6/19 by Abe]

Bluemoon - 21/6/19 at 08:30 AM

Velcro sounds like a good way to me. You then just need some bracketry to mount a flat plate at the correct hight. I may do the same out ours as we have a seat without headrest (whiplash would be a real issue...). In my case there is a roll hoop bar in roughly the correct position, so a simple U bracket and a flat plate will suffice.. Obvlsoly no sticky out bits towards the head, just the flat plate...

Dan

Abe - 21/6/19 at 08:57 AM

Ive been using Sue at Customized Covers for years, she’s brilliant if you want any pads making and covering etc etc.

http://www.customizedcovers.co.uk/contact-us

swanny - 21/6/19 at 09:25 AM

Andy that's an interesting angle and one I hadn't thought of for ideas.

I do like the idea of Velcro to attach it to the plate. Much simpler than I had in mind!

I had a look last night and the brace on the roll cage should be in just about the right place for a u-bolt. Might need a slightly angled MDF base plate, and should be good to go.

Quite a few furniture makers where i'm from so will have a look at getting one of those on the case.

thanks all, as ever great help from the LCB massive!

will post a pic when its done.

paul

Abe - 21/6/19 at 10:41 AM

No worries Paul! I find 12mm marine grade ply better than MDF it stands the test of time better

Abe - 21/6/19 at 12:59 PM

I meant birch ply