Board logo

seat harness lubrication
andy188 - 26/5/20 at 09:52 AM

Hi,

Been using the kit for traveling to work, extra layer in the mornings.

Belts becoming pain to adjust in evenings, ( less layers).

do we have any suggestions on Seat belt lubrication, Buckles tight to move/adjust

any ideas guys, good idea ?

Have you used any thing, suggestions please.

is it time for new harnesses ?

Stay Safe.

snapper - 26/5/20 at 05:35 PM

The adjustment on harnesses uses friction to hold them, I cannot imagine a situation where I would want to LUBRICATE a harness...

andy188 - 26/5/20 at 09:36 PM

Hi, thanks, sorry, I'm aware friction is used to lock the belts, perhaps, lubricate is the wrong word to use, just wanted them to adjust a bit easier, they certainly lock tight when pulled upon,

steve m - 26/5/20 at 11:11 PM

Wear less clothes on the way to work,

Its not as if your going to be cold, as its not been below s 12% at 0600 here, in sussex for a week

ian locostzx9rc2 - 27/5/20 at 05:25 AM

Clean the harnesses with a little soapy water

indykid - 27/5/20 at 07:09 AM

Depending on the adjusters, on most road type harnesses, the centre bar of the adjusters is usually floating. Lubricate the interface of the ends of the centre bar where it meets the housing. I was struggling to adjust my harnesses a week or so ago and found this to be the issue as the adjuster was binding in the locked position and pinching the belt. As you pull the buckle up to release, the centre bar should float into the centre position and release the lock on the belt. When you tighten the belt, it pulls the belt wrap into the side of the housing, locking it.

Lubricating the bar to housing also improves its ability to grip the belt when tight.

Don't go mad with goopy oil or graphite powder as it will still need to sit on your clothes. I used some dry PTFE type stuff.

I've used the coarse webbing Luke harnesses in the past though and they were a pig to adjust whatever you did with them so YMMMV.

andy188 - 27/5/20 at 07:39 AM

Cheers guys,

Thanks for the advise, ill give them a going over.