Board logo

Obscure dash instrument
GO - 24/6/03 at 02:04 PM

Ok, so we all know the trick of using a bigger wheel at SVA to allow a larger area exempt from radius testing etc.

But if you plan your dash layout for a smaller wheel, then when you stick a bigger wheel on for the test, the chances are that something will be obscured.

Getting to the point... what must be visible from the drivers seat? warning lights, speedo? and what doesn't matter if the wheel obscures it from view?

skippad - 25/6/03 at 10:53 PM

My mk got a failure on not being able to read speedo correctly. I had fitted the sierra steering wheel because it was sva friendly. I had put the instuments centrally in dash, obviously if i had put them in position not to be obscured by sierra wheel it would look crap when a smaller wheel was fiitted.
As it happens the tester said he would have allowed smaller wheel as long as i could prove the hub ws collapsable and of course no sharp edges.
I hope this helps

Peteff - 27/6/03 at 12:25 PM

How about an Altimeter. That would be an obscure dash instrument. If you were taller or shorter than the tester and could see the instruments but he couldn't, would it still fail?.

yours, Pete.

stephen_gusterson - 29/6/03 at 10:13 PM

or a compass? a lot of car instrumentation sellers also sell into the nautical market, so its not hard to find one to match!

atb

steve

robinbastd - 30/6/03 at 09:08 PM

Thermometer
Got one on my Robin Hood dash. Just in case you don't realise how bloody cold it is.
Used it as my only car for one winter until the novelty of carrying a change of clothing(in case of rain) wore off.

Ian

Wadders - 30/6/03 at 09:40 PM

What about a barometer, one of those nice brass and mahogany affairs, old people have in their hallways, tells you what the weather is going to be like.

Findlay234 - 1/7/03 at 07:47 AM

You have one dont you.....................? In your hallway?

Peteff - 1/7/03 at 09:20 AM

You could tell whether you are on the level or not.. I bet Morgans come with a barometer option don't they Steve?

yours, Pete.

DaveFJ - 1/7/03 at 11:58 AM

you could use the guages off a fiat panda 4x4 - they show pitch and roll.......... hmmmmm

stephen_gusterson - 1/7/03 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
You could tell whether you are on the level or not.. I bet Morgans come with a barometer option don't they Steve?

yours, Pete.

Im always on the level

atb

steve

Wadders - 1/7/03 at 04:32 PM

Of course dear boy, it sits beautifully between my favorite portrait of the Queen and a trio of flying ducks.

Hang on! are you trying to imply i'm an old git?

i]Originally posted by Findlay234
You have one dont you.....................? In your hallway?

timf - 2/7/03 at 01:46 PM

or even an artificial horizon

DaveFJ - 2/7/03 at 04:37 PM

How about these ??? Rescued attachment guages.jpg
Rescued attachment guages.jpg

RichyMkIndy - 7/7/03 at 09:52 AM

how about a G-meter dont you get those on Evos ? or is Skylines? i cant remeber

blueshift - 7/7/03 at 11:26 AM

Skyline R34 has an LCD which will show you all manner of pretty graphs including boost pressure, longitudinal and lateral G (I think) etc.

fun. but who wants the weight of unnecessary electronics? carry a laptop if you want to do testing, then unplug it, pull out the passenger seat, carpets, bits of fluff for minimum weight