Board logo

1.8 Silvertop Block - Pre-95
Tatey - 8/2/16 at 06:39 PM

Evening all,

I am currently looking at all options for getting my Haynes on the road. I bought a 1.8l pre-95 silvertop zetec a few years ago, which I am running on Megajolt and carbs. The head gasket has gone at some point in it's life which has meant a lot of water has been sitting in the one of the bores which has damaged the bore to the extent were it either needs a rebore, a new block or a new engine.

I want to stick with a pre-95 engine as I have everything for the zetec to run on carbs, and my car is so very close to IVA I don't want to rip out my carbed system that I haven't been able to use in anger yet to fit fuel injection and a cat to get through the stricter post-95 emissions.

So I am wondering if anyone has a pre-95 1.8l silvertop block sitting around there garage they would like shot of. Ideally I would like it to be a short engine with crank and pistons as it makes my life a bit easier, if not I will take what I can get. I've toyed with the idea of buying a new engine but complete pre-95 zetecs are like hens teeth and I don't want to chuck a load of money at one to risk it being a dud like the one I own. So my plan at the moment is to rebuild my silvertop with either a new block or some oversized pistons.

On a side note, has anyone ever bored out a 1.8l to 2.0l? This means I can then fit some standard 2.0l pistons and run it with my 1.8l head. I know some people do fit the 1.8l head to the 2.0l engine and I would guess that Ford have used the same block but bored out the 2.0l.

kingster996 - 8/2/16 at 07:51 PM

I know it's not a 1.8 but spotted this on eBay Ford 2.0L Zetec Silver Top Engine 1993 - 2004 (Zeta)

cliftyhanger - 8/2/16 at 08:29 PM

ssshhhhhhhh......that's on my list.....

nick205 - 9/2/16 at 10:46 AM

Given the cost of them I'd just buy another complete motor and fit it. Doesn't seem worth removing and reworking to me.

prawnabie - 9/2/16 at 10:52 AM

It may well be the height of the block that is different aswell, not just the bore size.

big_wasa - 9/2/16 at 10:57 AM

Be aware that a crate motor is unlikely to have an engine number and a rebore to your motor won't be cheap.

750mc - 10/2/16 at 08:19 PM

Sent you a pm