Board logo

Photos
johnhsmith - 29/1/19 at 06:22 PM

I hope I've finally worked out how to get some photos on here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3zn7oze9n1jzb0i/AAD7TY1hnIFCe65NAOnUElHja?dl=0

I hope that works

gremlin1234 - 29/1/19 at 06:54 PM

quote:
I hope that works
yep seems to work, looks nice ;-)

voucht - 30/1/19 at 02:51 AM

Good to see a real "book" Haynes Roadster, Ford Sierra based (if I refer to the instruments cluster) which is getting very rare nowadays, made in the Locost spirit (wheels, seats, instruments, ...) and still looking very nice.

I like the aluminium bodywork, you did a very good job there.

Congratulation for the build, and for the IVA pass!

Cheers

jps - 30/1/19 at 08:25 AM

Looks good.

I assume you've used the 13" steel wheels from the Sierra - how did you get them to fit? I wanted to do the same but there's no way mine will go over the lower bolt in the rear uprights

johnhsmith - 30/1/19 at 12:48 PM

Vouch,
Thanks for that. Yes, I wanted to use as much as possible from the Sierra and only failed with the propshaft, which I couldn't get balanced after reconstruction, and the wiring, which frankly just beat me.
The seats are from the rear of a Citroen Picasso (C4??)

JPS,
Yes the wheels are the original Sierra. I thought they would look so good just like the Caterham. And so cheap!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7imnozqjl2ftm9x/Photo%2018-10-2018%2C%2017%2007%2024.jpg?dl=0

I don't remember having any issues with the wheels/uprights. However, after making the wishbones and assembling the suspension I found that I had made a slight mistake with the lower wishbone. I had made the jig from the illustration in the book, showing the length at 465mm, when it should have been 475mm. To correct this I welded an extra RU8 onto the upright. Could this have made the difference?

John

nick205 - 30/1/19 at 01:37 PM

A very smart looking car!

Some hefty machines in the background - not your garage I'm assuming?

johnhsmith - 31/1/19 at 03:31 PM

Nick,

Thanks.

No, work.

Fortunately for me we have a business making parts for classic cars, so I have access to all machines and materials I needed for the build.

My admiration goes out to all of the builders out there who do it in their garage at home, or even on their drive under a tarpaulin!

John

PAULD - 31/1/19 at 04:14 PM

Very nice. Did you keep a record of the cost ? I would definitely recommend some stone guards on the rear wings though, mine are covered in chips around quite large guards.

jps - 31/1/19 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johnhsmith
JPS,
Yes the wheels are the original Sierra. I thought they would look so good just like the Caterham. And so cheap!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7imnozqjl2ftm9x/Photo%2018-10-2018%2C%2017%2007%2024.jpg?dl=0

I don't remember having any issues with the wheels/uprights. However, after making the wishbones and assembling the suspension I found that I had made a slight mistake with the lower wishbone. I had made the jig from the illustration in the book, showing the length at 465mm, when it should have been 475mm. To correct this I welded an extra RU8 onto the upright. Could this have made the difference?

John

I just had a google - looks like some Sierra steel wheels were 14". Mine are (I think) 13", so perhaps I can get that look after all...

johnhsmith - 31/1/19 at 06:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PAULD
Very nice. Did you keep a record of the cost ? I would definitely recommend some stone guards on the rear wings though, mine are covered in chips around quite large guards.

Too scared to add it all up! I first bought the Ron Champion book 'for less than £250.00' The raw tube and steel cost that much - at trade prices.

I should add it up though just to know. Best guess is between £5k and £10k.

Will definitely do stone guards, just waiting for some time.

John