Board logo

Taking an outline from a jpeg
James - 20/4/12 at 10:06 PM

I'm trying to come up with a logo for my new Savate kickboxing club that I'm setting up.

I thought I'd try using an outline from a fighting picture. I've got Paintshop Pro 8 but free-hand selection is proving a nightmare.

Any hints/programs to do this easily. Part of the problem is, to get it accurate, I've got to zoom in on the picture, then when I scroll around, it loses the blessed selection!

Once I've got a decent outline, I can use it on leaflets, posters, t-shirts, website etc.

Cheers,
James

stevebubs - 20/4/12 at 10:20 PM

Edge Effects...trace contour...

stevebubs - 20/4/12 at 10:21 PM

Art Media Effects ... Black Pencil

austin man - 20/4/12 at 10:24 PM

I use a graphics tablet use a pen to follow post the pic up and let people have a play. You could alway convert to mono then erase sections

StevenB - 20/4/12 at 10:24 PM

what does the picture look like?

tandi - 20/4/12 at 10:36 PM

If you send the pic to me I can have a look for you if you like. Cheers kevin

T66 - 20/4/12 at 10:49 PM

The edge effect tool on psp can be changed to edge seeker, all you do is click along your outline.

James - 20/4/12 at 10:57 PM

Okay, thanks for the advice. Annoying thing is, a few years ago, I knew how to do this!

Here's me fighting at the Coup D'Opal in Calais in November 2011

[img][/img]

Cheers,
James

Ah, the watermark is gonna mess it up now, isn't it!

austin man - 20/4/12 at 11:07 PM

Description
Description

like this

austin man - 20/4/12 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James
Okay, thanks for the advice. Annoying thing is, a few years ago, I knew how to do this!

Here's me fighting at the Coup D'Opal in Calais in November 2011

[img][/img]

Cheers,
James

You can always crop a picture to get rid alternatively email it to whoever does what you want and have it emailed back, you need the highest resolution really so a resized image is not the best starting point

James - 20/4/12 at 11:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by austin man
Description
Description

like this

That's very cool so thank you and I like it a lot but I think I want a solid black (for now) on white image. I don't want to put anyone to a load of trouble! Then I can change it to different colours for t-shirts etc.

James

austin man - 20/4/12 at 11:23 PM

Description
Description

Description
Description

What about these ones

[Edited on 20/4/12 by austin man]

[Edited on 20/4/12 by austin man]

James - 20/4/12 at 11:23 PM

You can always crop a picture to get rid alternatively email it to whoever does what you want and have it emailed back, you need the highest resolution really so a resized image is not the best starting point

No, but I don't have the original... it's a pic of me, not one I took! I pulled it out of Facebook so not got it in any higher res. However, if it's just an outline and webpages I want it for, TBH, it's probably good enough.

spiderman - 21/4/12 at 01:10 AM

Has this picture been edited? As it appears that you right leg is about a foot longer than your left.

Madinventions - 21/4/12 at 02:14 AM

Like this?
Description
Description

Ed.

ReMan - 21/4/12 at 06:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Madinventions
Like this?
Description
Description

Ed.

As an outsider with nointerest, that looks good and i ca tell what it portrays
(but he has got a very long leg!)

Dusty - 21/4/12 at 03:48 PM

Would something like this help? White lining round the different parts of the sillouette?
[img]
[/img]

[Edited on 21/4/12 by Dusty]

James - 22/4/12 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Madinventions
Like this?
Description
Description

Ed.

wow! Excellent, thankyou!

I was up till 2am Friday night doing just me (the right hand person) and have just started doing the other one when I checked this thread again....

Thankyou very much!

Out of interest, how did you do it?

Cheers,
James

James - 22/4/12 at 03:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
Has this picture been edited? As it appears that you right leg is about a foot longer than your left.

Nah, nasty accident, I limp a lot! ;-)
lol

It's just the angle of shot and body positioning I think. Also, my right foot is pointing down the line of my leg, so with size 12 feet that probably adds some length!

Maybe I'll chop some out of my leg for the print though so it doesn't look too weird!

Cheers,
James