Board logo

Roll bar, seat belts and stays
clbarclay - 14/5/05 at 12:05 PM

I am using a roll bar from MK with intergral upper seat belt mounts.

Should the roll bar stays go to the top of the main loop (the red line), or would they be better going to between the seat belt mounts (the yellow line)?

ned - 14/5/05 at 12:28 PM

like the red line, much stronger overall imho, i don't think i've ever seen a rolbar braced the way you show with the yellow line.

Ned.

ps http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/cockpit%20bulkhead.jpg is what mine looked like

[Edited on 14/5/05 by ned]

flak monkey - 14/5/05 at 12:31 PM

I would brace to the seatbelt mounting points to strenthen them and it will also make sure that the SVA man is happy that they are strong enough. I would say that if that seatbelt mounting is more than 2mm wall thickness then it wouldnt need braceing...but im not an SVA man...

Like ned says its more common to brace to the top of the roll bar. But if you did brace to the belt points then the roll bar should still be well strong enough in the event of a roll.

David

TPG - 14/5/05 at 12:44 PM

Justfor referance my belts are mounted in this manner on the rollbar,It didn't cause any trouble at SVA.And my 'bar isn't braced

Lars - 14/5/05 at 01:54 PM

I had the same decision to make a few weeks ago, and wasn't sure whether it is required even after reading the sva manual.
I have however seen several cars using the bar to mount belts without bracing, and I have now done the same.

It seems strong enough to me.

Lars

Fifer - 14/5/05 at 04:02 PM

The red one is the way to go, it looks way better and there is no way that seat belt mount would fail on noit being braced, it looks well strong.
Looks quite high IMHO but guess that depends on the seats you are using

clbarclay - 14/5/05 at 06:08 PM

I suspected the red stay was the one to go for.

The seat belt mounts are quite high, so the belts will be mounted on the under side of the bar.

Thanks all the same.

[Edited on 14/5/05 by clbarclay]

chriscook - 15/5/05 at 08:34 AM

If you want your roll bar to work as a roll bar and not fold over your head then brace to the top.

NS Dev - 15/5/05 at 08:51 AM

yup, red bar without question

Mark Allanson - 15/5/05 at 10:26 AM

Thats what I did Rescued attachment Blast&Etched.jpg
Rescued attachment Blast&Etched.jpg

wilkingj - 15/5/05 at 09:01 PM

My Viento has the Bracing to the top bar, ie your RED line.
Not the best of piccies, but ahows the point.

[img]/upload/DSCF0069as.jpg[/img]
If you cant see it, its in my archive.

[Edited on 15/5/2005 by wilkingj]

turbolag - 16/5/05 at 01:27 PM

Mark, that chassis looks so damn fine i've set it as my background!

Mark Allanson - 16/5/05 at 08:09 PM

Gee chucks, thanks...