Board logo

how much?
Markp - 7/5/08 at 06:52 PM

hello,

How much would you expect to pay to get the car resprayed? It's cellu. now and i want 2pak ford imperial blue.

cheers for your time

mark

philw - 7/5/08 at 06:54 PM

Anywhere between 1k upto 3k depending on finish

Danozeman - 7/5/08 at 06:54 PM

I got quoted 700 quid to have my car sprayed ford imp blue which was cash in hand job including all prep etc. That colour is bloody expensive.

Mr Whippy - 7/5/08 at 07:04 PM

Speak to the sprayer or as many as you can and ask if you can do the prep work yourself if you don't mind doing that. That will save you a lot of man hours you would have to pay them and you would be able to take your time and get it just right. Make sure you ask them about suitable primers to match their paints or they may object to doing it at all. Ask around, best ask for previous customers if possible to get a feel for their work or ask to see one they have just finished. Avoid the ridiculously low quotes, they will be naff and use either old or inferior paints.

Finally agree on a fixed price for the job and an agreed date for it being finished, get it in writing, any paint shop worth looking at will do this.

skodaman - 8/5/08 at 12:41 AM

I got a quote for £700 for the locost, so it can stay in gel coat and bare metal for now. If i decide to paint it i'd rather get a compressor etc. and do it myself than pay that sort of money. Compared to most of the other work involve I would imagine painting it to be one of the easiest and most enjoyable bits anyway.

Markp - 8/5/08 at 05:59 AM

I'm shocked

Am I being ignorant? how can 3 litres of paint cost so much? I sprayed it myself the first time but cellulose after a time looks dull and I really wanted a new look for the summer.

I could understand it if the car was complex but when the nose/bonnet comes off, two front wheel arch aren't difficult and then its the body.

I'm changing my job.

Anyone want a respray??

procomp - 8/5/08 at 07:02 AM

Hi i have seen some of the race cars sprayed for as little as £400 ( Admittedly not in the imperial blue ) That look not bad to the eye when stickered up. And i have seen them done for 1k that look the dogs.

I guess with the cost of the materials going up every week you could add £100 to those prices.

Cheers Matt