Board logo

Can you test a coil ????
Andybarbet - 15/2/12 at 08:07 PM

My stepsons nan has just messaged me asking if i can pop over & test the coil on her 1990 mercedes.

In the past if i thought my coil had gone, i just borrowed one from a similar car to eliminate it or just bought another one with a view to having a spare if the old one was ok.

How can i test it ??

Apologies if this is a simple thing, the reason for building the kitcar was to learn lots so hopefully this'll teach me something too

Cheers - Andy

theconrodkid - 15/2/12 at 08:15 PM

normall with an ohm,s meter....just need to know waht values you are looking for

Andybarbet - 15/2/12 at 08:18 PM

Ok, i've got a multimeter

Anyone know what resistance im looking for ??

As far as i know its a petrol 190E (I think thats the model)

I can find out exactly what model etc if it helps ?

Alan M - 15/2/12 at 08:20 PM

can't comment as I've lost my sense of humour

britishtrident - 15/2/12 at 08:23 PM

Unless the LT side gets overheated and burns out normally coils fail on the HT side the insulation breaks down, you can test to an extent with a spark gap tester but to be honest I would always replace coil HT leads and plugs.

steve m - 15/2/12 at 08:25 PM

Alan

That did make me laugh !!

Alan M - 15/2/12 at 08:37 PM

daviep - 15/2/12 at 08:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Alan

That did make me laugh !!

me too....it's not often I agree with steve

wilkingj - 16/2/12 at 09:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Unless the LT side gets overheated and burns out normally coils fail on the HT side the insulation breaks down, you can test to an extent with a spark gap tester but to be honest I would always replace coil HT leads and plugs.

Completely agree.
Dont forget the Dizzy Cap and Rotor arm (if its that type of system) as well.

wylliezx9r - 16/2/12 at 12:47 PM

I didnt think old women needed coils...................................and she wants you to test it ! LOL

scudderfish - 16/2/12 at 05:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
I didnt think old women needed coils...................................and she wants you to test it ! LOL

Quick! Pass the brain bleach!