Board logo

Which Flasher Relay
mikeb - 4/3/15 at 02:02 PM

My wiring loom was missing its flasher relay, so I'm not sure what type I need.

Its a standard 3 pin running off sierra column.
Standard bulb front, rear and dash but with led side repeaters.

Will this do it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fix-Flash-Rate-Turn-Signal-Flasher-Relay-LED-indicator-bulbs-3-PIN-CF14-JL-02-/261111166687?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&ha sh=item3ccb7036df

DJT - 4/3/15 at 02:15 PM

When I looked into relays to get one working my LED indicators, there appeared to be two sorts: one for Jap cars (JL-02) and one for non-Jap cars (GL-02).

CosKev3 - 4/3/15 at 03:30 PM

I think if it's only LED repeaters you should be ok with a standard flasher relay.

if you do buy a LED one just check the pins are in the same position as the standard sierra one, the adjustable one I've used is very good, but even though it's a 3 pin relay the connections were not the same as standard sierra plug.

DJT - 4/3/15 at 03:33 PM

Standard relay did not work for me with LEDs, hence the need to search for an LED compatible relay. I didn't want to use resistors shunted across the LEDs to fool the standard relay - think of the weight penalty!

benchmark51 - 4/3/15 at 03:44 PM

All my indicators are leds and flashed fast on the standard relay. I bought a proper led relay that wouldn't flash them at all, it turned out that the polarity was wrong. By swapping the 2 horizontal connections around It worked perfectly and has been for 2 years now.

mikeb - 4/3/15 at 04:09 PM

on ebay they all seem to be listed as LED relays.
I think what I need is standard one but can't find a suitable listing?

CosKev3 - 4/3/15 at 05:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJT
Standard relay did not work for me with LEDs, hence the need to search for an LED compatible relay. I didn't want to use resistors shunted across the LEDs to fool the standard relay - think of the weight penalty!

the OP only has LED side repeaters though.

If you unplug the 5w side repeater on a normal car the indicators still flash at normal speed, hence why a normal relay will work ok with standard bulbs front and rear and LED repeaters.

Tatey - 4/3/15 at 06:05 PM

Mike, i have a spare LED flasher relay i can send you FOC, i bought it for my Haynes with sierra switches, LED rear and side repeaters with bulbs up front. I originally thought it was a duff but turns out i had it wired incorrectly, it works perfectly. Its just a cheap LED relay from China that took quite a while to turn up!

PM me your address if you would like it.

turnipfarmer - 4/3/15 at 06:57 PM

The flasher relay as used on lots of Fords, is Lucas part no 19FL 012933. (Ford code is 78gg13350aa)

That's what I'm using with my Sierra-based loom (with standard bulbs) & it's fine.

Can't say how it would work with led repeaters, though.