Board logo

F1 goes to Sky
zilspeed - 29/7/11 at 06:39 AM

The BBC are telling us it's great news that they still have half the races live.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm

Sorry, not buying that at all.

I don't watch football, so don't have sky sports.
The stuff I watch is on eurosport.

How much is this going to cost ?
Half a season ?

This is all between 2012 qnd 2018.

And after 2018 ?

JoelP - 29/7/11 at 06:44 AM

awful news.

Agriv8 - 29/7/11 at 06:49 AM

one word

Bu66er

chris_smith - 29/7/11 at 07:03 AM

just read that myself, and not happy at all, i do like football but wasnt watching every match, so cancelled my skysports subscription as it was just burning money for the actual amount of programs/sports i watched per month.

so for me to get F1 for the full season ill have to re-subscribe?!?!?!

i dont think so !!!!

ill find it streamed on tinterweb somewhere im sure, ill start this weekend for Hungary GP

Ninehigh - 29/7/11 at 07:04 AM

I'm sure you could get some proper racing on Eurosport

T66 - 29/7/11 at 07:07 AM

Sky domination.....

We are moving house, doing the cupboard tidying stuff yesterday. Missus found her accounts book from 2001, before tinternet banking etc.

The Sky package we had then (before we ditched it) was £17 a month without sport, we now pay £60 without sport (phone&net included)

If that is right they have F1 - that means an awful lot of people who watch now, wont get to see it anymore.

Bit like ....

Football
cricket
golf
boxing
rugby

Mr Murdoch needs to be told to foxtrot off with his global ramapage, without competition the whole job grinds to a halt, but we all appear unable to stop a handful of extremely wealthy people getting wealthier, while the average family year in year out get paid less and less..

No different to the global ramapage of Asda,Tesco - killing town centres independent traders - aslong as the wideboys in suits keep getting their pockets waxed then these situations will keep happening.

I pay EDF a disgraceful amount of money for gas&electric each year, after 3 x 30 minute calls yesterday, I still cannot speak to them to tell them Im moving - Massive profits & sh1t service - MMMMmm sound familiar.

Slightly off topic for sure, but they really wee me off - I wont be paying to watch F1 !

Angry Britain - Why would that be then ?

Irony - 29/7/11 at 07:11 AM

Yet another reason not to pay for the TV License. Soon there will be no reason to watch BBC channels at all.

zilspeed - 29/7/11 at 07:12 AM

And a direct quote from Sky.

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

Well, you're not wrong there sunshine.
It will be the only sodding place to follow every race live.
No options.
No alternatives.
Pay up or stop watching.

Bernie, remember the day you did this.
It's the beginning of the end.

mds167 - 29/7/11 at 07:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by T66
Sky domination.....

+1

It's taken 7 years for my wife to 'get' formula One. This will put an end to her support and the majority of the 'casual' suport BBC and ITV have built as it gets lost in the digital mire...

...not impressed.

jabs - 29/7/11 at 07:35 AM

And they only made £1 billion profit

loggyboy - 29/7/11 at 07:53 AM

SHocked and very disapointed at this news. I refuse to pay for sky sports, im reluctant enought to pay them for the basic channels.

I hope (and im pretty sure they will) that audience figures drop and FOM will reconsider. After all they have alot of sponsors to please.

David Jenkins - 29/7/11 at 08:08 AM

It's simple economics - the contract goes to whoever places the highest bid. BSkyB has money, the BBC are trying to cut their expenditure left, right and centre.

And maybe Bernie won't mourn the loss of many British fans, as there are plenty of other countries with fans prepared to pay.

It's a tough world out there...

Sorry - but that's the way things go in an economic crisis - just wait until other sports start to disappear off our free-to-air screens in the coming year or two as the Beeb and ITV channels lose bidding wars.

skydivepaul - 29/7/11 at 08:13 AM

worst news i have heard for a long time.

remember when f1 was on itv it was shit

bernie is a greedy little b""£$$d

johnemms - 29/7/11 at 08:15 AM

I was talking about going to a football match out of nostalgia with my son - in the pub - I casualy asked a football fan how much it costs to go in these days ... he said about £40 ... I said is that for the month

I know its been a while but I dont see me going to a match 'ever' at that kinda money...

Anywayyy.. as an ardent F1 fan for many many years and Sky subscriber I cant see me signing up for Sky sports either.. Just not worth it as I only follow motor sports realy....

I'm sorry to say I will be asking my younger sons about the word 'Torrent' & 'Streaming'

Sky has just created a black market for F1 - christ I pay enough for Sky & TV Licence as it is !!!!

LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE ' MORE TIME ON A SUNDAY TO FIDDLE WITH YOUR CAR'!!

[Edited on 29/7/11 by johnemms]

[Edited on 29/7/11 by johnemms]

StevieB - 29/7/11 at 08:21 AM

I won't be paying for Sky Sports and I won't be watching F1 after the switch.

It's a real shame, because F1 is the only sport that gets watched in my house, between me, my wife and my 4 year old who has already decided he's a Vettel/Red Bull fan (and he's already trying to influence his little brother that way too). The fact that he's so into the racing (from just llistening to the commentary he can rattle off a good few of the drivers names and the teams they race for) has led me to start looking at getting him into karting as soon as I can, but now he'll lose interest and will no doubt revert to football at some point, which means we won't have any sports to sit and watch together.

David Jenkins - 29/7/11 at 08:21 AM

You're right about football - one of my neighbours wanted to take his 2 sons to watch Ipswich (not exactly Premier League) and worked out that he'd have little change from £100 at the end of the day. This includes bus fares, tickets at the ground, food & drink inside, and so on. He promised his kids so they went - but he won't be going again in the near future.

...and kids like that should be the fans of the future.

Getting back to motor racing - how often do you see the other stuff that you used to see every weekend on the Beeb? The club racing, rally-cross, etc? There used to be *something* every Saturday afternoon...

[Edited on 29/7/11 by David Jenkins]

Kwik - 29/7/11 at 08:24 AM

there are always going to be streams for the sky races, what im most disappointed in is that they will have sky presenters and commentators.

Daddylonglegs - 29/7/11 at 08:38 AM

In the words of a great Musician....."another one bites the dust" !! A sad day indeed

Doctor Derek Doctors - 29/7/11 at 08:58 AM

Shit news, as an F1 employee I'm going to have to fork out for shitty sky to to see just a couple of races.

What is really sad is that for the forst time in over a decade (since the Brundle/Walker team) we actually have a really good comentary team with MB and DC.

I bet Sky bring in some screeching reatrd like James Allen..... or even worse.... James Allen himself.

jollygreengiant - 29/7/11 at 08:59 AM

Charlie
Romeo
Alpha
Papa.

Inomine Padre Espiritu Sancti.

Ahmen.

scootz - 29/7/11 at 09:00 AM

karlak - 29/7/11 at 09:06 AM

Nooooooooooooo

I pay for SKY sports as I like my footie, so will be OK for the F1 I guess. Perhaps they will intoduce a "cheaper" F1 only subs to try and draw people in?

However, the thought of going back to adverts is just Cr@p..

Knowing Sky they will spam as many commercial breaks in there as possible.

ReMan - 29/7/11 at 09:16 AM

having become less than enthusiastic about F1 these days anyway, they've just lost another viewer, not gained one

phelpsa - 29/7/11 at 09:20 AM

Thats a bit crap, I was just getting back into F1 this season and would have had even more reason to follow the races next year.

ned - 29/7/11 at 09:41 AM

I already have sky, but only the basic 'poverty' package I call it. I won't be upgrading to watch 50% of races, reruns and highlights will have to do me for the 50% that are only on sky. Additionally I notice sky are advertising no price rises for a year. Did anyone who already has sky read the letter where they're bundling more channels in and making onto two basic entertainment packages. Sounds like a business plan to justify pushing prices up in a years time after the price freeze ends. Nearly time for a humax freeview box I feel..

blakep82 - 29/7/11 at 09:46 AM

and i guarantee you it won't be on sky sports 1 OR 2.
most likely it'll be on 3 or 4, for which you have to have 1 AND 2 to get.

lewis - 29/7/11 at 09:54 AM

Am a avid f1 fan and watch all the races but refuse to pay sky's Extra tax for sports so will also not be watching anymore! Not good for anyone

GeorgeM - 29/7/11 at 10:10 AM

never had sky, as I refuse to give money to murdoch
freesat & freeview give almost everything that sky do and it's FREE
also got the same recording facilities that sky+ has FREE
there are still a lot of people that think different, but there is no need
to give them anything if you only have the basic package.

I wont go to premiership footie anymore either, sky have fuelled the
wages & I'm not giving money to the likes of rooney & co to buy
yet another car/house/etc. I watch league 1.

I'll watch the F1 when it's on the beeb, the others I'll have to see the highlights....

franky - 29/7/11 at 10:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
Shit news, as an F1 employee I'm going to have to fork out for shitty sky to to see just a couple of races.

What is really sad is that for the forst time in over a decade (since the Brundle/Walker team) we actually have a really good comentary team with MB and DC.

I bet Sky bring in some screeching reatrd like James Allen..... or even worse.... James Allen himself.

If you're an F1 employee you should be able to see it for free as coverage is provided by F1 to thrid parties etc. I know for sure that everyone F1 related gets a free feed if they're working on the races/main factories. Not too sure about 3rd parties though.

As someone who contracts to sky I think its a good move as there might be a few fly away's in it for us

matt_gsxr - 29/7/11 at 10:43 AM

Such a shame.

I used to watch Rugby, but now don't know what is going on.
I have enjoyed F1 with my eldest son, but I guess this will stop too.

Sadly it will hit the UK teams as their merchandise sales are needed to bolster their finances.

At least we can get some of the money back as Income Tax from Bernie's profits, and the savings for the BBC will be reflected in a lower license fee. NOT.

The answer is to forget F1 and go and watch local motorsport events. Much more involving and dirt cheap.

Matt

Neville Jones - 29/7/11 at 10:44 AM

quote:
as an F1 employee

AS AN F1 EMPLOYEE, you can see it for free at the factory on the live feed all teams get, and it's from SKY.

My young fella does.

So why will you have to pay?

Cheers,
Nev.

[Edited on 29/7/11 by Neville Jones]

BenB - 29/7/11 at 10:45 AM

That sucks. No way I'm paying Murdoch for F1. What happened to the Concorde Agreement saying that F1 had to remain free to air?

My understanding was that FOTA was very keen that it remained free to air.

tony-devon - 29/7/11 at 10:46 AM

Im just another of those thats already posted, I dont have sky, refuse to pay for a load of rubbish I wont watch, Im now seriously considering just ditching the TV license, we did this for 6 months or so a while back, just watched DVD's and played games etc

didnt even miss it to be honest, its all repeats, and now with the loss of the only sport I like to watch, this might be the final nudge

JacksAvon - 29/7/11 at 11:06 AM

sick sick sick.

Murdoch = reptile

Bernie = reptile

Fans treated like scum...........again.

Save whatever money you would give these cretins and support your local motorsport

loggyboy - 29/7/11 at 11:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
It's simple economics - the contract goes to whoever places the highest bid. BSkyB has money, the BBC are trying to cut their expenditure left, right and centre.

And maybe Bernie won't mourn the loss of many British fans, as there are plenty of other countries with fans prepared to pay.

The economics may swing it back though, as when (not if) the viewing figures plummit the sponsors that pump millions more into F1 than Sky (will) do, will be knocking on Bernies door asking why their target audience arent watching anymore.

blakep82 - 29/7/11 at 11:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

The economics may swing it back though, as when (not if) the viewing figures plummit the sponsors that pump millions more into F1 than Sky (will) do, will be knocking on Bernies door asking why their target audience arent watching anymore.

i'm not convinced. this only really affects us in the UK surely? perhaps a small knock on effect for some other countries. the sponsors are mainly global, so its not going to affect viewing figures in germany, france, australia, usa, france spain etc etc we're just a drop in the ocean really. don't know, just the first thing that sprang to mind

MikeR - 29/7/11 at 11:52 AM

As I already pay the sky tax (misses insists we have it). Sky sports is justified as the additional cost = about what it would cost me to watch 'live' the few Wigan Athletic matches they screen so therefore I'll get this 'free'.

Still miffed. In principle it should be free to air & the team the BBC have got is excellent.

I just hope something is done somewhere to make sure it stays free.......... on the slightly brighter side, BBC will have highlights of every race - has anyone defined how long a highlight is?

(well that would be my attempted approach if i was a BBC mgr)

mikeb - 29/7/11 at 11:55 AM

I know it highly unlikely but no where does it mention sky will charge, I guess we are all assuming they will as skysports is generally pay for view but surely thats an assumption? Just thought I'd throw that in

Daddylonglegs - 29/7/11 at 12:02 PM

Good point Mike, but I very much doubt this is done without some HUGE financial benefits to someone (more than likely B.E.)

Maybe we should launch our own 'Locost' coverage?

loggyboy - 29/7/11 at 12:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i'm not convinced. this only really affects us in the UK surely? perhaps a small knock on effect for some other countries. the sponsors are mainly global, so its not going to affect viewing figures in germany, france, australia, usa, france spain etc etc we're just a drop in the ocean really. don't know, just the first thing that sprang to mind

Yes, but I would expect the UK makes up a reasonable percentage of the viewers, and top sponsors like Vodafone (largely uk based), RBS, Santander (still a newish name to the UK and wanting to impress since renaming the well known Abbey brand) will value the UK exposure alot. Not to mention most of the teams are UK based, even if they arent UK owned.

Viewing figures are largely effected by the nationality of drivers/teams, so the UK, germany, italy etc are well represented. I doubt the US, french based sponsors have that much interest in F1.

loggyboy - 29/7/11 at 12:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mikeb
I know it highly unlikely but no where does it mention sky will charge, I guess we are all assuming they will as skysports is generally pay for view but surely thats an assumption? Just thought I'd throw that in

It wont be pay per view, but will be subscription based, the title gives it away http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_7066182,00.html

They wont un-encrypt skysports for one event.

[Edited on 29/7/11 by loggyboy]

Doctor Derek Doctors - 29/7/11 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
quote:
as an F1 employee

AS AN F1 EMPLOYEE, you can see it for free at the factory on the live feed all teams get, and it's from SKY.

My young fella does.

So why will you have to pay?

Cheers,
Nev.

Ah its captain know it all.... who knows bleep all.

You are wrong, I can't see it for free at work. Just because I work in F1 doesn't mean I work for a 'team'.

Maybe when Sky get the contract they may change this.

Seeing as you are unable to read properly I will reiterate that my main annoyance is that we may not have the great comentary team of Brundle/DC for all of the races, F1 has suffered from a lack of a decent comentary team since Murray left but now we are finally back to a great team again and we may lose that.

Alan B - 29/7/11 at 02:08 PM

DDD,

Why single out Nev for an uncalled for verbal bashing? He wasn't the only one to point out something you may not have known.

skydivepaul - 29/7/11 at 02:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
As I already pay the sky tax (misses insists we have it). Sky sports is justified as the additional cost = about what it would cost me to watch 'live' the few Wigan Athletic matches they screen so therefore I'll get this 'free'.

Still miffed. In principle it should be free to air & the team the BBC have got is excellent.

I just hope something is done somewhere to make sure it stays free.......... on the slightly brighter side, BBC will have highlights of every race - has anyone defined how long a highlight is?

(well that would be my attempted approach if i was a BBC mgr)

good point mike
After my initial rage on the subject I had a look at the bbc f1 website to try get some more details.
they quote
half of the races they will broadcast live including silverstone & monaco
the rest they will show highlights -
they will also show live qualifying and practice on the friday & saturday

so we are gaining the practice sessions for what they are worth.

just trying to see some good in the situation!!

Neville Jones - 29/7/11 at 03:04 PM

quote:
I can't see it for free at work. Just because I work in F1 doesn't mean I work for a 'team'.

And there was me thinking, like a great number on this forum, from what you've said on this forum, that you actually worked for an F1 team! ( Well, I didn't actually, I'm old enough now, and worked in enough areas, to smell bovine manure at a hundred paces. )

On that basis, I could say I work IN F1 as well, but life is just far to short for that sort of bullshite.

And I don't 'know it all', I've forgotten most of it! Just remember the bits that count.

My take on the move to Sky is that it is all about money, obviously. The teams get a share of the advertising and TV rights revenues. So, the teams won't be too upset.
F1 has Bernie negotiating rights, and his company(?) he's negotiating with. You work it out??? They just want far too much for BBC to afford it, and so BBC has had to let it go, and quite rightly so, as a corporate decision. It's just got far too expensive for an entity such as BBC to buy in. Thems the breaks. Us poor viewers just have to suffer and be grateful for the crumbs they hand out.

Does Bernie still own the company that owns the tv rights?

NASCAR used to be good to watch, but Rupert Murdoch got that as well! Plick.

Cheers,
Nev.

dlatch - 29/7/11 at 04:09 PM

another kick in the balls for the F1 fans
all the F1 teams want is max coverage and thats means the best home for the sport is on free to view.
i think the viewing figures will take a huge hit as there is no way i will pay sky to watch the races.
ultimately this is bad for F1 in the long run too less coverage means teams will leave the sport and advertise else where.
Sad day for the sport imo

Kwik - 29/7/11 at 05:10 PM

is there any other english speaking country with F1 coverage we can stream so we dont listen to the sky presenters?

and anyone want to know who they are? brace yourself...

keith huewen, jonny mowlem and jon mickel and in the studio back in london, guest "expert" john watson

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/07/29/keeping-f1-freetoair/

also that link gives some hope... maybe?

ChrisW - 29/7/11 at 06:03 PM

Don't panic guys. I'm sure if we all club together we can get around this problem...

Chris

David Jenkins - 29/7/11 at 06:12 PM

Having read some of the proposed changes due for F1 I shall have even less interest than I have at the moment.

I'd rather watch general club racing...

will121 - 29/7/11 at 06:18 PM

quote:
Having read some of the proposed changes due for F1 I shall have even less interest than I have at the moment.

I agree, while i watch every race at the moment i very rarely watch them live as its still 90mins of limited excitement, rather end up watching the highlights which BBC will still have so i wont be spending out on Sky any time soon

DRC INDY 7 - 29/7/11 at 06:20 PM

I watch friday free practice on bbc i player

Kwik - 29/7/11 at 06:24 PM

for me, F1 is the only motorsport i have properly got into, i dont want to start all over again with BTCC or something again....

britishtrident - 29/7/11 at 06:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
DDD,

Why single out Nev for an uncalled for verbal bashing? He wasn't the only one to point out something you may not have known.

"nev" tends to single himself out.

morcus - 29/7/11 at 06:53 PM

Terrible news.
Like alot of the above I don't like watching anyother sports, and at the moment I have to record most of the races anyway so I really don't see the point in paying the extra.

I found this news a real surprise given whats happening at the moment and what Bernie said LAST WEEK about F1 never going off free to air tv. This leads me to believe that Bernie did at least fight this and that he's probably the one who managed to secure us half the season on BBC.

I too think the current BBC team and set up and graphics are brilliant and I know they won't be replicated by sky. We'll get excitable Idiots shouting about things they don't understand. A Friend in Canada told me they get both BBC and US broadcasts of races and said the US ones are unwatchable because of the bad commentry teams and Ad breaks. At least BTCC has gaps to put the ads in.

I doubt it would make any difference but as this is going to be unpopular with alot of people, maybe we should petition FOTA or the FIA or whoever.

Mark Allanson - 29/7/11 at 08:37 PM

If ITV and BBC had any balls, they just wouldn't report the races, it would all go quiet and F1 would fall into obscurity.

Are we sure it isn't just another Bernie blinder, like the GB race moving to Donnington from Silverstone?

PSpirine - 29/7/11 at 08:55 PM

I'm really upset about this.

I've not watched F1 properly for several years as it had got absolutely boring - tried to get back into it last season..

Then this year comes along and provides an exciting race, every single race, regardless of whether Vettel wins or not, with absolutely amazing pre-race coverage by the BBC and excellent race commentary. Even my gf (to whom F1 is the most pointless boring thing ever) got interested and watched a few races with me!!!

If we lose all the great commentary, production and coverage, it's going to revert to just being a show for die-hard F1 committed fans, many of whom I reckon will get put off by not being able to (or willing to) watch it on a free channel.

On a slightly side note, I wish people would stop complaining about the license fee. It's much better value for money than any SKyTV package as the BBC is probably the only channel I know of (in several countries) that puts together truly good shows and has no commercials!
Of course if we start losing a lot of this content to sell-outs, then it may become a more valid point

loggyboy - 29/7/11 at 11:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by morcus
This leads me to believe that Bernie did at least fight this and that he's probably the one who managed to secure us half the season on BBC.

I really doubt that, bernie IS F1, if he didnt want something it wouldnt happen.

MikeFellows - 29/7/11 at 11:47 PM

ive been following this for a few months, not just todays headlines.

my understanding is we should be glad the BBC has any F1 at all. there was talk at one point of them dropping F1 altogether at the end of this season. with ITV ruling themselves out nobody else can afford it.

personally my only concern is the same as a previous post, the presenters and commentators have upped the game on the BBC, it would be a real shame to lose that or to have a mish mash of presenters (in which case since SKY will be showing them all I wont watch it on BBC)

D Beddows - 30/7/11 at 01:57 AM

[Edited on 30/7/11 by D Beddows]

Mark Allanson - 30/7/11 at 10:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
[Edited on 30/7/11 by D Beddows]

Completely!

Neville Jones - 30/7/11 at 10:25 AM

quote:

Probably the best comment yet.

Go watch 750mc club events. £10~£12 on the gate, you can get up close with the cars and even speak to the drivers, and the Locost racing is among some of the closest you will see.

Cheers,
Nev.

karlak - 30/7/11 at 11:57 AM

I reckon the current commentary team will be very quiet on the Subject.

They don't want to upset Sky at the moment as they are likely to be "poached" over to Sky for commentary.

scootz - 30/7/11 at 12:20 PM

TBH, I think both Brundle and DC are wealthy / vain enough to refuse SKY's offer to broadcast to no-one and stay with the Beeb for half the races and actually have an audience!

I really think SKY has misjudged this one. F1 is ingrained into the UK viewing culture because it's a premium sport that's always been available to everyone FOR FREE. A lot of folk simply switch the F1 on because they've always done it and over time they have assumed a passing interest in what goes on in the sport. Only the absolute diehards (who are very much in the minority IMHO) will pay to keep watching!

onenastyviper - 30/7/11 at 08:53 PM

Why are so many people angry?
Can you not still watch F1 for free?
Can you watch F1 live if you can afford it?
Will life continue if you don't watch it?

Before people get royally pi$$ed think of this:
Would the teams and drivers race even if there was no-one to watch?

morcus - 31/7/11 at 06:42 AM

No, because they'd have no money.

escary - 31/7/11 at 09:27 AM

why not?

Maybe i'm biased having watched motogp on eurosport for years, whilst the series is poor at the moment ( and has been since the numbers started dropping away, loosing teams like wcm and kenny roberts were genuine low points )

Eurosport lost live coverage of the motoGP and for a year split up a team that hasn't reformed, still miss Mamolas input

all because the owners / operators of MotoGP demanded that it had to be free to air,

Maybe i'm the only one that feels that the BBC MotoGP coverage is lousy, the commentators need to go, a free to air sport that requires digital input to see all three races, qualifying et.c. not everyone buys into it , or can

My message would have been. Stop the bad coverage of MotoGP, spend the money either on F1 directly or alternatively on programmes that can be created, evolved, improved and sold for maximum profit to other countries that then create enough revenue to allow the continued free to air quality of the current F1 coverage.

The UK

creates F1, has the 1st race, is built on UK principles, has been operated by UK teams for its greater precentage of teams since it's conception, F1 DNA is from the UK.

either there genuinely isn't enough interest in the UK for the BBC to retain / invest , or the sport is happy to turn it's back on its creators, they are only famous because we the paying public let them be.

The more i write the more i think that we should ignore the lot of them and build sportscars

dan8400 - 3/8/11 at 08:12 PM

I'm not the biggest Bernie fan by a long shot but I don't see why so many people are bashing him for this? If the BBC cannot afford F1 that isn't his fault.

I am a diehard F1 fan and subscribe to sky for football etc etc so I will not miss any races. I love the BBC coverage and the commentary team. I also love what they (The BBC) have done with the graphics and features like: the forum, build up show, behind the scenes (like in the merc factory with MS for example) and the free practice on the red button.

The only way I will be 100% happy with the Sky coverage is if they retain all of the above (free practice etc etc) and get at least DC and MB on board and maybe Jake H. Eddie I can take or leave as he rarely offers the insight his CV suggests he could. Oh....and if there are no adverts during the race.

I read about a guy in Brazil who says they have 10 - 15mins of adverts before and after so they see the whole race without a break.

Not an ideal situation and I genuinely feel for those who cannot stretch to sky and are die hard fans. Or to those who do not watch sky but want to see F1, it is a bad move by the Beeb.

+1 for dropping moto gp. This season is pants. I kind of got into it last year but its dire now

Thanks
Dan

Kwik - 4/8/11 at 08:28 PM

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57

everyone sign, we can at least try every means possible, whether you think they will care or not...

franky - 4/8/11 at 08:38 PM

Maybe the BBC should just give up paying for football rights to the carling cup etc. They pay far more for football crap than F1. They pay hardly anything for MotoGP, next season going back to 1000cc engines should be much more fun to watch.