Board logo

Now a Government Tells motorists to break the Law
britishtrident - 28/3/12 at 12:07 PM

Mr Maude advised: "The greater extent to which people have fuel in their vehicles - maybe a little bit in the garage as well in a jerrycan - the longer we can keep things going."

SeaBass - 28/3/12 at 12:09 PM

Break the law?

In what way?

20 litres in two 10 litre steel designated fuel containers is legal in a locked garage.

[Edited on 28/3/12 by SeaBass]

britishtrident - 28/3/12 at 12:14 PM

Maximum size of container (not fitted to a vehicle) you can legally put petrol in is 2 gallons or 10 litres. there are also legal limits on how much fuel you can store at home.

A jerry can contains 4.5 gallons/20 litres therefore is illegal to fill with petrol unless fitted to a vehicle.

[Edited on 28/3/12 by britishtrident]

SeaBass - 28/3/12 at 12:14 PM

As I said - Two 10 litre fuel containers in a domestic garage of within 6 meters of a dwelling.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petroleum-faqs.htm#storage

His advice is fool hardy and will encourage "panic buying" but he's not advising law breaking...

Most punters would only have a 5 litre plastic can to hand.

[Edited on 28/3/12 by SeaBass]

britishtrident - 28/3/12 at 12:20 PM

He specifically said jerry can --- a 5 litre can isn't going to get the average tory voting Range Rover sport driver far.

A1 - 28/3/12 at 12:23 PM

weve got about 40 litres in a container in our garage... its got four wheels....

loggyboy - 28/3/12 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
He specifically said jerry can --- a 5 litre can isn't going to get the average tory voting Range Rover sport driver far.

Jerry can is more of a generic word tho now. like Hoover. The 5l plastic cans I have in my garage are always referred to as jerry cans.

craig1410 - 28/3/12 at 12:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

I'm a conservative voter and drive an Aygo, and 5 litres will get me about 60 miles! Pretty useful actually.

Sorry mate but you were being pedantic by assuming a specific capacity to a jerrycan so being equally pedantic, there was no suggestion that the jerrycan had to be filled to the top. Ironically a full can is safer than a partially empty one. Edit: I see in the article linked above that it is capacity which matters but even so, as someone else said, jerrycan is a generic term nowadays.

It seems to me to be common sense to minimise the impact of inconsiderate union members who seem once again to be hell bent on making the UK less competitive in the world at precisely the time we need to at our best! I travel 112 miles a day in order to work and will do whatever is necessary to ensure I can continue to do so. I hope this strike is as big a failure as the last one. It certainly won't gain widespread public support in my opinion.

[Edited on 28/3/2012 by craig1410]

scudderfish - 28/3/12 at 01:37 PM

Does anyone know what the dispute is actually about?

owelly - 28/3/12 at 01:38 PM

I'm with BT. If you walk into Machine Mart, farmers store, ex-MOD stock sale, or any other such place (Google it and see what happens), and ask for a Jerry can, you'll be handed a 5 gallon Jerry can. So if folks who take the aforementioned advice go out to buy a Jerry can, they'll get a 5 gallon/20ltr Metal Jerry can.
But to carry on the nit-picking, under the Petroleum act of 1928 (IIRC), it's still an offence to (portably) store Petroleum spirit or distillate in anything other than a screw capped metal container, clearly marked 'FLAMMABLE' etc and not exceeding 2 gallons. That rules out all plastic 'cans' as well as Jerry cans!

SeaBass - 28/3/12 at 01:41 PM

As I said - most punters - where would they walk into - a petrol station...

What would they be offered - a 5 litre green can!

craig1410 - 28/3/12 at 01:54 PM

Owelly,

Is this the sort of thing you were meaning??

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/5-litre-jerry-can

By the way, there is a later law about plastic fuel containers mentioned in the link a few posts back. Plastic containers are perfectly legal.

mcerd1 - 28/3/12 at 01:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
Owelly,

Is this the sort of thing you were meaning??

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/5-litre-jerry-can

By the way, there is a later law about plastic fuel containers mentioned in the link a few posts back. Plastic containers are perfectly legal.

^^ you also get 10L ones

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/10-litre-jerry-can-2

but arn't you ment to get green ones for unleaded, black for diesel etc..... ?

coyoteboy - 28/3/12 at 02:24 PM

quote:
A jerry can contains 4.5 gallons/20 litres therefore is illegal to fill with petrol unless fitted to a vehicle.

We keep a couple of jerry cans in the garage for the boat, and 100 litres in the boat tank. Only really an issue if your garage goes up.

dhutch - 28/3/12 at 03:24 PM

As said, you can get 5/10l steel gerry cans. I wouldnt use the term for a plastic fuel container however.

I also got verbal comunication from phone call with the local police that although i couldnt store it in my garage two 20l gerry cans in my car/trailer to a race or trackday was ok as long as the container where suitably marked as to there contence.

And ofcause deisal is diffrent again.

Daniel

Dick Axtell - 28/3/12 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by A1
weve got about 40 litres in a container in our garage... its got four wheels....

I remember someone doing precisely this, during the Suez crisis, in the '50s. Mind you, his 2.3, straight 8 Alfa had a slab tank, which held many gallons. Used it as temporary storage, for running his Austin Ruby!

britishtrident - 28/3/12 at 04:57 PM

The Wehrmachtskanister or Jerrycan has a very specific meaning the word Jerrycan was first coined in WW2 by britishh 8th army who much preferred caputured Germany 20 litre fuel can to the much less robust and smaller standard British 2 Gallon fuel can. The German pattern was rapidly copied and manufactured in the UK and USA.

Quote Wikipedia
"A jerrycan is a robust fuel container originally made from pressed steel. It was designed in Germany in the 1930s for military use to hold 20 litres of fuel. The development of the jerrycan was a significant improvement on earlier designs, which required tools and funnels to use."

coyoteboy - 28/3/12 at 05:55 PM

pedant

Alan M - 28/3/12 at 06:01 PM

In the years following World War II the jerry can became a ubiquitous item commonly available for purchase. In the 1980s plastic jerry cans were being manufactured.

Quote Ehow.com
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5752158_jerry-can_.html

orton1966 - 28/3/12 at 07:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish

As I understand it the unions are trying to limit the outsourcing of tanker driving by the oil companies so they can maintain an inflated rate for those employed directly by the oil companies.

The sum being banded around is £45k p/a as an average for unionised drivers. Don’t get me wrong you don’t want idiots or inexperienced drivers touring our streets with a laden tanker but the basics are the same as any other HGV, sorry not a £45k job!

This is what unions do, given the chance, try to make something a closed shop and push, push, push i.e. look what a dangerous job it is, how unsociable it is, how skilled it is until the pay rate becomes unsustainable, thus it only really works when they can hold the country to ransom

Hence the threat of fuel disruption leading into the summer, anyone want to take a guess how much tube and bus drivers are screwing out of the country during the London Olympics!

Dopdog - 28/3/12 at 07:18 PM

well said Craig did you mean to be so funny in your post

onenastyviper - 28/3/12 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by orton1966
quote:

As I understand it the unions are trying to limit the outsourcing of tanker driving by the oil companies so they can maintain an inflated rate for those employed directly by the oil companies.

The sum being banded around is £45k p/a as an average for unionised drivers. Don’t get me wrong you don’t want idiots or inexperienced drivers touring our streets with a laden tanker but the basics are the same as any other HGV, sorry not a £45k job!

This is what unions do, given the chance, try to make something a closed shop and push, push, push i.e. look what a dangerous job it is, how unsociable it is, how skilled it is until the pay rate becomes unsustainable, thus it only really works when they can hold the country to ransom

Hence the threat of fuel disruption leading into the summer, anyone want to take a guess how much tube and bus drivers are screwing out of the country during the London Olympics!

Isn't this the basics of capitalism - supply and demand?
The premise of a Union is/was to look after the rights of the average working man. Striking was the only means of protest against unfair practices of unscrupulous employers. Now it seems that successive gGovernments have managed to turn the general public against this.
Ask yourself this, what would happen if all the workers decided to stop work for a day at the same time across the country?
Don't get me wrong, the unions have not helped themselves. Instead of trying to win over the public and show what they are about and have defined moral/political stances which are there to better society they have decided to look after themselves - just like the political system really.
Conservatism, Labour Movement have lost their meaning - it is now everyone for themselves, even if it means screwing over your fellow human being...Consumerism is where it is. Anything which disruptes this need to "consume" will be fought by those in power at all costs. They have to, if we don't consume we don't keep the virtual money flowing around.

Basically, We are all hypocrites.

orton1966 - 28/3/12 at 08:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by onenastyviper
quote:
Originally posted by orton1966
quote:

Isn't this the basics of capitalism - supply and demand?
The premise of a Union is/was to look after the rights of the average working man. Striking was the only means of protest against unfair practices of unscrupulous employers. Now it seems that successive gGovernments have managed to turn the general public against this.

I’d argue unions try to prevent supply and demand, place a job advert advertising for tanker drivers, rate £30k for a full time job and if the only requirement was a HGV licence and say 10 years experience and you’d be swamped by applicants.

Similarly if you de-unionised the London-tube and offered the job and suitable training for 10k below the current rate you’d be crushed in the stampede for the jobs.

Royal mail is in the poo because they are are stuck with a unised workforce hanging on to terms and conditions that are out of touch with private postal companies and they’d never have got those T&C’s without the monopoly they once had, now they hang on to them for grim death.

Again my argument is the unions have remained strong in certain trades where they can prevent, supply and demand and exert pressure by affecting the average man in the street.

T66 - 28/3/12 at 08:27 PM

The actual capacity of a Jerrycan is 18 litres - Not 5 gallons.

I know this, as I was Rommels right hand man during the North Africa campaign, and often complained to him they only held 18L, as I filled his half track up...

If you wish to argue, I can produce receipts I kept from the filling station in Bir el Gobi, Libya

coozer - 28/3/12 at 10:02 PM

quote:
e said, jerrycan is a generic term nowadays.

It seems to me to be common sense to minimise the impact of inconsiderate union members who seem once again to be hell bent on making the UK less competitive in the world at precisely the time we need to at our best!

What the hell are you on about? "inconsiderate union members" How dare you? Its dead easy for you as a conservative (you must be minted) to blame unions. It seems to me the government since Thatcher came to power have been bent on that track.

How about blaming the government? I remember a nice industry that we used to have where what we called 'power loaders' earned up to £50k a year in the early 80's before Maggie was hell bent on getting rid.. can you guess??

So, you want shot of £45k tanker drivers who supply an essential service? What's next? Tube drivers? Normal people (Not conservative rich toffs) run these services.

Maybe you think that the peasants should only be entitled to the minimum wage?

Get your arse up here and I'll show you how this country has been shot to the dogs!

How about when the tanker driver go on strike the rest of us stand up and say "enough is enough"??

And before you label me I'll say it out loud "Vote UKIP on 3rd May"

See you's at Stoneliegh
Steve

Dopdog - 28/3/12 at 10:33 PM

I could not have put it better myself, here here

in fact I did not

craig1410 - 28/3/12 at 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:
e said, jerrycan is a generic term nowadays.

It seems to me to be common sense to minimise the impact of inconsiderate union members who seem once again to be hell bent on making the UK less competitive in the world at precisely the time we need to at our best!

What the hell are you on about? "inconsiderate union members" How dare you? Its dead easy for you as a conservative (you must be minted) to blame unions. It seems to me the government since Thatcher came to power have been bent on that track.

How about blaming the government? I remember a nice industry that we used to have where what we called 'power loaders' earned up to £50k a year in the early 80's before Maggie was hell bent on getting rid.. can you guess??

So, you want shot of £45k tanker drivers who supply an essential service? What's next? Tube drivers? Normal people (Not conservative rich toffs) run these services.

Maybe you think that the peasants should only be entitled to the minimum wage?

Get your arse up here and I'll show you how this country has been shot to the dogs!

How about when the tanker driver go on strike the rest of us stand up and say "enough is enough"??

And before you label me I'll say it out loud "Vote UKIP on 3rd May"

See you's at Stoneliegh
Steve

"minted" - yeah that's me... Actually, came within a proverbial "baw hair" of going under late last year due to an attempt at starting a business with an old friend going a bit wrong. Now working as an IT contractor and Director of my own limited company and gradually repairing the damage but it will be a while before I will be anywhere close to minted. I'd be happy to just clear my credit cards this year! Quite stressful to be honest but I like to think that hard work will be rewarded. I took a measured risk when I left my job of 10 years last March and even with all the pain we suffered, I wouldn't change a thing.

As for unions, it just goes completely against my individuality to be honest. I'm the type of guy who does the opposite of everyone else and it works out well for me generally. I think deeply about most things and use my instinct to guide me. It very very rarely let's me down. I simply could not allow my decisions to be made by "the collective". Have none of you guys seen the Borg on Star Trek? Resistance is NOT futile!! Grow some balls and think and act for yourself.

Dopdog - 28/3/12 at 10:47 PM

"Grow some balls and think and act for yourself."

you seem to be generalizing us all with not having any work ethics! or in fact minds of our own. Are you the only one to start his own business AND FAIL I think not.

PS
you need to get out a bit more and stay away from star trek

craig1410 - 28/3/12 at 11:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dopdog
"Grow some balls and think and act for yourself."

you seem to be generalizing us all with not having any work ethics! or in fact minds of our own. Are you the only one to start his own business AND FAIL I think not.

PS
you need to get out a bit more and stay away from star trek

Who said anything about failing! Both businesses are going well actually. The first was tourism related so I had to bridge the gap to the start of the new tourist season. "Failure" and "impossible" are words you won't find in my dictionary. You wont find "union" or "follower" either...

I don't have a problem with individuals, I just don't like unions as they encourage a mindless mob culture and attempt to paralyse our country. Anyone with sound work ethics is alright in my books!

So what have you done that's so great? Are you a union leader by any chance? If so then you are probably doing really well, riding on the backs of the workers you purport to represent. How you must laugh at their gullibility!

Enough banter for me tonight, I'm off to bed. Goodnight all.

Dopdog - 29/3/12 at 06:38 AM

Well said,

just for your info not a member of anything and have been self employed since I left school many years ago.

dhutch - 29/3/12 at 11:01 AM

They have now said, dont do that.... FAIL!

Whats the take on half filling a 20l can, or pair there of, far more vapour space but fits with the the 'max two off 10l in metal containers' rule as I read it.

Daniel

Neville Jones - 29/3/12 at 07:55 PM

Tanker drivers deserve every penny the get. They earn it!

You lot try driving a truck around with thousands of gallons of petrol sloshing around and you can feel every wobble.

I've driven a tanker full of water, that was harrowing enough.

But full of fuel? No way. The responsibility they carry is immense.

They earn their £45k.

Whereas the shiny arsed poofs who 'work in the city', do 9/10 ths of stuff all and expect £250k bonuses. ( Oh yes, they 'take risks'.) Then expect the govt, you and me, to bail them out when they take on the wrong risk, then still expect their end of year bonus. For screwing up!!! And they're the ones who are doing the moaning?

It's time those Old Etonians were all consigned to some remote island where thay can all fiddle with each others' like they did at school, and we got practical level headed people running the place.

Of course, it'll never happen.

Cheers,
Nev.

Simon - 29/3/12 at 08:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Whereas the shiny arsed poofs who 'work in the city', do 9/10 ths of stuff all and expect £250k bonuses. ( Oh yes, they 'take risks'.) Then expect the govt, you and me, to bail them out when they take on the wrong risk, then still expect their end of year bonus. For screwing up!!! And they're the ones who are doing the moaning?

It's time those Old Etonians were all consigned to some remote island where thay can all fiddle with each others' like they did at school, and we got practical level headed people running the place.

Cheers,
Nev.

Exactly how many of the 1/2 million people that work in the City (or Canary Wharf) do you really think earn big bonuses? I worked there for 20 years and never saw a bonus or decent salary review (well, one when I was 23 and got a 30% pay rise (30% of f all is still f all). The job was far more involved than driving and I had to leave home at 8 and get home around 7 paying (what is now) £3500 just to get to work (from gross earnings). I wasn't a union member so could have lost my job at any time, just worked hard etc etc.

You'll find 99.9% of the people who work there spend most of the time worried they'll still have a job next week, earn poo money,would rather be elsewhere and are generally very normal decent folk. Just cos they work in an office doesn't make them bad people. So get over it.

Tony Blair fooked this country spectaculary and has just been paid £8,000,000 consultancy from some ex soviet state. I don't suppose he'd have paid 45% tax on it though. Brown did well selling off £13b for £2b. He still has a job

ATB

Simon

scootz - 30/3/12 at 09:50 AM

Woman burnt linky...

Decanting fuel in her kitchen??? FFS!!!

onenastyviper - 30/3/12 at 04:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:

Cheers,
Nev.

Exactly how many of the 1/2 million people that work in the City (or Canary Wharf) do you really think earn big bonuses? I worked there for 20 years and never saw a bonus or decent salary review (well, one when I was 23 and got a 30% pay rise (30% of f all is still f all). The job was far more involved than driving and I had to leave home at 8 and get home around 7 paying (what is now) £3500 just to get to work (from gross earnings). I wasn't a union member so could have lost my job at any time, just worked hard etc etc.

You'll find 99.9% of the people who work there spend most of the time worried they'll still have a job next week, earn poo money,would rather be elsewhere and are generally very normal decent folk. Just cos they work in an office doesn't make them bad people. So get over it.

Tony Blair fooked this country spectaculary and has just been paid £8,000,000 consultancy from some ex soviet state. I don't suppose he'd have paid 45% tax on it though. Brown did well selling off £13b for £2b. He still has a job

ATB

Simon

Of course, why didn't I think of it - it's all Tony Blair & Gordon Brown's fault.
Hmm, hang on, doesn't the Conservative Party have a track record of scares as well? - Anyone fancy an Egg?

We are all hypocrites. We want the luxuries without paying for them and will vote for anyone who promises them as long as the cost isn't borne by us and we don't see the affects.
What a society, consume-consume-CONSUME.

Or maybe it's just me who thinks it's all FUBAR and what the effing point of it all?

Confused but excited. - 30/3/12 at 05:30 PM

If you want to store fuel legal guidelines say you have to have the right container.

There are only two types you can use, the metal 10 litre and the 5 litre plastic can.

Both have to say Highly Flammable on them.

The maximum you can store at your home is 30 litres.

The jerry can is a 20 litre metal can. It is illegal to store petrol in one of these, this is because you are not allowed to carry 20 litres in just one container.

The 10 litre metal can:

The maximum you can use is two of these = 20 litres in metal cans.

The 5 litre plastic container:

The maximum you can use is two of these = 10 litres.

OR a combination of metal can + plastic container:

The maximum you can store is 30 litres using a combination.

2 x 10 litre metal cans + 2 X 5 litre plastic cans = 30 litres in total.

And what is a Jerry can?

20 litre Jerry can illegal for home use
A jerry can holds 20 litres in one container, which is against the law.

It is an old fashioned bit of kit, made out of strong pressed metal and designed in Germany back in the 1930's.

Word!

SeaBass - 30/3/12 at 06:46 PM

The thread that won't die...

As said before Jerry Can has become a "Hoover"...

Look at how many 10 litre can results have the word "Jerry" in them...

T66 - 30/3/12 at 07:07 PM

Correction - I dont vote for those that promise to change the world, they ARE ALL full of sh1t, liars and on the whole dishonorable egotistical people waxing their own handles.

I move from one political party with my vote, when I am sick to the back teeth of the current rabble shafting me, my family and my friends.

The only section of society, private sector, gold plated public sector workers who havent been touched by the hand of the knife by successive governments are Members of parliament. They conveniently leave their pay rises and conditions for them to update.

Not a fan of the Unions, they dont represent the workforce either, more the egos of the anti establishment leaders. Ive worked in unionised places where if I didnt join, nobody would talk to you. Good at taking my subscriptions and thats about it.

Yet again the working man/woman is the victim of all the crossfire, its not the tankers driver, the nurses, the binmen, the local doctor, solicitor or teacher....

This current rabble see any aspect of a person working as fair game to tax to the hilt, meanwhile the long term great unwashed still sit in the house being unproductive for years.

Ask yourself how many of the long termer dole bums you know who have been forced to go to work since the LibCons took over ?

I dont know any, the cider drinkers near me are still in the park everyday of the week getting pissed.

David Jenkins - 30/3/12 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Woman burnt linky...

The thing is - how many people know how to handle petrol these days? In years gone by - 40s, 50s, 60s - cars were high-maintenance and many people used to have to deal with petrol, either in cans, or draining and refilling tanks, etc. We all knew then that petrol could be dangerous and nasty, and you dealt with it accordingly. In my case, I know never to bring petrol into the house, and if I have to pour it then that happens either at the front of the garage by the open door, or out the back garden next to the shed. Certainly never with naked flames nearby!

Nowadays, people never even see petrol - they stick a handle into a hole in their car, pull a lever, and let go when the handle goes clunk.

[Edited on 30/3/12 by David Jenkins]

craig1410 - 30/3/12 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:

Cheers,
Nev.

ATB

Simon

Well said Simon, it's too easy for ignorance to be used as an excuse to attack office workers, bankers and anyone else who happens to gain a good education, work hard and earn a decent wage as a result. I once got a £5k bonus for completing a 2 year IT project on time and on budget so I guess I'll get lumped in with the rest of the bonus seeking scumbags...

I've got nothing against tanker drivers but if the average salary for driving a tanker is £45k then I really don't think they have much to complain about and hiding behind vague statements about health and safety rules and other vague concerns doesn't wash I'm afraid. I also think that tankers have baffles in the tank to prevent excessive "sloshing" so I doubt that it is all that difficult. The responsibility is no more than someone who drives a school bus and in my opinion considerably less in fact. Just ask those involved in the horrific crash in Switzerland recently.

I find it amazing that there are those who think nothing of a football player earning £30k+ a week and yet the same people scoff at the highly trained professionals at the heart of our country's financial recovery getting paid a decent salary. Personally I'm happy for UK PLC to pay several million pounds a year to attract the most highly trained and experienced person(s) possible to handle the HUGE sums of money which circulate in our economy every day. As investments go, it is likely to be one of the best we can make!

craig1410 - 30/3/12 at 10:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Woman burnt linky...

The thing is - how many people know how to handle petrol these days? In years gone by - 40s, 50s, 60s - cars were high-maintenance and many people used to have to deal with petrol, either in cans, or draining and refilling tanks, etc. We all knew then that petrol could be dangerous and nasty, and you dealt with it accordingly. In my case, I know never to bring petrol into the house, and if I have to pour it then that happens either at the front of the garage by the open door, or out the back garden next to the shed. Certainly never with naked flames nearby!

Nowadays, people never even see petrol - they stick a handle into a hole in their car, pull a lever, and let go when the handle goes clunk.

[Edited on 30/3/12 by David Jenkins]

I've heard this story told on the news several times today and I have yet to hear any suggestion that this was at all connected to the tanker drivers fuel crisis. Radio 4 this morning simply said that her daughter had run out of fuel (possibly for her lawn mower) and for some very strange reason she was pouring petrol from a container into a glass jug next to the gas hob which was lit. I don't want to be insensitive at this tragedy but it was only ever going to end in disaster under these circumstances. I harsh lesson to learn and must have been dreadful for the daughter to witness but even if it turns out this was somehow connected to the fuel dispute, I don't think blame can be placed beyond the walls of that fateful kitchen to be honest.

morcus - 31/3/12 at 03:07 AM

I think your right on that one, but why would you have petrol 'inside' your house.

There seem to be alot of really weird attacks on Tory Voters in this thread, considering THIS suggests the 62.5% of the board are Tory voters, so I'm guessing that the last two years haven't been so great for some of you (I also concede that there are many more people on here than the 88 that voted).

I voted Conservative in the last General Election. I voted Conservative in Glasgow in the Local and MSP elections before that and I still think things overall would be better under a conservative government, unfortunatly that doesn't make me a millionaire, I make about £15K a year, then pay half of it in tax for a job thats killing me because the alternative would mean losing everything. Do tanker drivers deserve £45K a year? I don't know, but should you pay someone £45K to do something someone else will do for £30K? No you should not, that is the reality of supply and demand.

It's Unions that destroyed our industry.

Neville Jones - 1/4/12 at 01:51 PM

These 'City' people you lot are defending, would die if they had to drive a truck, much less a fuel wagon. If asked to do anything remotely manual, they'd die of shock. They despise and openly laugh at manual trades, as much as they need them.

And before you go jumping in and saying how hard working they are, I know what and how they think, from having to rub shoulders with them, literally, all too often.

The tanker drivers actually do earn their money. Although, you don't hear of tankers overturning every day, the odd event is the one that shows the risks.

Would you drive a truck that could turn into an inferno at the any time, if you made an absent minded error, and all for the same money as a 'city banker' is supposed to get?

nev.