Board logo

how many Englishmen does it take to change a armco barrier
will121 - 6/7/14 at 01:06 PM

how many Englishmen does it take to change a armco barrier! good job no potholes as well as they would just put yellow paint round it a come back in a months time. Not a good showing of British efficiency in my opinion on a world wide stage

[Edited on 6/7/14 by will121]

scootz - 6/7/14 at 01:11 PM

Was just thinking the same myself!

jollygreengiant - 6/7/14 at 04:35 PM

I was surprised that they didn't put in a 5 mile lane closure in both direction with a 40mph speed limit and then do the repairs over night.

Minicooper - 6/7/14 at 06:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by will121
how many Englishmen does it take to change a armco barrier! good job no potholes as well as they would just put yellow paint round it a come back in a months time. Not a good showing of British efficiency in my opinion on a world wide stage

[Edited on 6/7/14 by will121]

To have it all done in an hour was very good

David

CRAIGR - 6/7/14 at 07:18 PM

Was more interesting than the race though

StevieB - 6/7/14 at 07:52 PM

For my opinion I think it was a job well done on the changing out front and a lot of the time was spent analysing the need the change the barrier or not - that's something that's not in the hands of the crew on the ground.

gremlin1234 - 6/7/14 at 08:43 PM

quote:
how many Englishmen does it take to change a armco barrier!
from the pictures, jut one...
quote:
I was surprised that they didn't put in a 5 mile lane closure in both direction with a 40mph speed limit and then do the repairs over night.
lemans implemented 'slow zones' this year, they could work, having cars going at (pit lane speed limiter) limited speeds though affected areas

steve m - 6/7/14 at 10:29 PM

lemans took 2 hours to repair the barriers when I was there 2011 ? the most boring two hours of my life at 2200 !!

RK - 6/7/14 at 11:56 PM

As said on the broadcast we had here in Canada: what are the odds of hitting it again? Pretty much none. They did the same at Montreal once here. Completely out of line with reality.

loggyboy - 7/7/14 at 08:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
As said on the broadcast we had here in Canada: what are the odds of hitting it again? Pretty much none. They did the same at Montreal once here. Completely out of line with reality.

So in your opinion, having your entertainment when you were promised it, rather than a whole hour later is less important than someones life?

[Edited on 7-7-14 by loggyboy]

jeffw - 7/7/14 at 10:48 AM

What would have happened if it was hit again and the car went between the armco sections...Would not have been pretty

gaz_gaz - 7/7/14 at 11:00 AM

Sad to see Nikki Lauder complaining that the race shouldn't have been stopped.

sdh2903 - 7/7/14 at 11:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RK

What a sad attitude. I bet they thought that before that before the race. Didn't stop Kimi trying to impale it.

F1 is very proud of its safety record since ratzenberger and senna perished at imola. Do you really think it's worth a driver or several spectators dying for the sake of an hour to carry out a repair? In fact by the time they actually got to the barrier and assessed, it was more like a 30-40 min repair time which I think is very reasonable.

morcus - 7/7/14 at 02:14 PM

They were of course right to do what they did, though I think a red flag that early should have gone to a restart with original grid positions and a standing start.

How many people have died in top level motorsport because the FIA didn't act appropriately after and accident and put running to plan ahead of safety?

I thought it was really strange that Nikki Lauder said that and glad that Eddie called him up on it.