Board logo

Declaring car mods advice
corrado vr6 - 22/11/14 at 12:00 PM

After some advice, I recently had some mods done to my daily, new stainless steel exhaust, aftermarket air filter and coilovers fitted.
Now I'm not driving the car at present and its parked off the road, the insurance renewal is due the middle of December, should I hold out till nearer the time to declare the mods to avoid paying double admin fees? Or will this make no difference and I should just declare them now and enjoy driving again?

Any advice?

big-vee-twin - 22/11/14 at 01:06 PM

Why don't you phone your insurer and ask them what they consider to be mods.

I once phoned mine about a racing can on the bike and they couldn't be less interested.

corrado vr6 - 22/11/14 at 01:15 PM

Sorry think you may have misunderstood. I know they need to be declared, what I was wondering is if I should hold out and declare them at renewal time rather than right now.
Just wondered if I would get charged an admin fee for declaring now where as if I do it at renewal time in 18 days I could avoid this charge?

corrado vr6 - 22/11/14 at 01:15 PM

[Edited on 22/11/14 by corrado vr6]

Smokey mow - 22/11/14 at 01:37 PM

If the mods are fitted to the car now, then they should be declared to the insurer whether you are driving the car or not.

To look at in another way, if the car was stolen off your driveway between now and the renewal date would the insurer pay out if they subsequently found that it had undeclared modifications?

ian locostzx9rc2 - 22/11/14 at 01:38 PM

Yes they will charge you an extra admin charge

Slimy38 - 22/11/14 at 02:51 PM

It's better to declare them at renewal time. At renewal time they will be looking around for the best underwriter for however the car is declared at the time. If it's declared as standard, you'll end up with a 'standard car' underwriter. If you subsequently declare mods, you'll likely pay a lot more for that underwriter to cover your mods (even if they insure it at all). If you declare the mods up front, they can get you a 'modified car' underwriter and get a good price straightaway.

That, as well as the theft aspect and the admin aspect suggests declare them now.

02GF74 - 22/11/14 at 04:58 PM

If its stolen and recovered, just say the thief must have put in the v10 twin turbo engine and sports exhaust, the car was standard when you had it.

Smoking Frog - 22/11/14 at 05:48 PM

For the sake of 18 days I'd risk it.

Ben_Copeland - 22/11/14 at 05:52 PM

Yeah sod that. Declare when you renew

blakep82 - 22/11/14 at 08:12 PM

i put coilovers on mine, then when i phoned the insurance found they didn't cover suspension mods... by that time i hadn't given my name or any personal info, so i waited the 3 week still renewal and went with another company who did

i put coilovers on because the suspension never sat right anyway (too high at the front) and the shocks were knackered and coilovers was cheaper than standard suspension.
besides, i wanted it slammed anyway

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX - 23/11/14 at 01:25 PM

Him,
If you have any problems with modified vehicle insurance then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too please to help.
Regards,
Dan.