Board logo

Should I ignore low oil light?
morcus - 6/3/15 at 10:25 PM

I picked up a new to me car today and the 60 mile journey home has revealed a few quirks. The car is a 53 plate Vectra and has a little screen on the dash between the speedo and the tacho, about half way home a symbol that looks like an oil can over a weird graph (That I believe means low oil) came on so I stopped and checked the oil, all be it warm, and it was more than half way up. Restarting the engine didn't relight it but it came back on just up the road.

The pressure light didn't come on and nothing I'd associate with low oil happened so I'll top up the oil tomorrow. If it comes on again should I be worried?

austin man - 6/3/15 at 10:47 PM

I think I have read over the past couple of days they have a problem with the pressure switch I would google it and replace it if it is a common problem

luke2152 - 6/3/15 at 11:26 PM

You're sure it wasn't a low window washer fluid or coolant level indication?

benchmark51 - 7/3/15 at 08:50 AM

Just go to a main dealer and ask, you'd be suprised how helpful they can be

britishtrident - 7/3/15 at 09:01 AM

Can any Vauxhal person con firm it the oil light not the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) or Service Light?

SteveWalker - 7/3/15 at 10:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Can any Vauxhal person con firm it the oil light not the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) or Service Light?

Service light was my first thought. Some cars have service indicators working on time and/or mileage and some have sensors that are supposed to check the oil quality and indicate the need for an oil change. The owner's handbook should detail this.

Tatey - 7/3/15 at 10:46 AM

Here are the warning lights for the vectra c

http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/vauxhall-vectra-dashboard-engine-warning-lights.html

morcus - 7/3/15 at 10:49 AM

I'll see if I can get hold of an owners book (As I currently don't have one) but none of the fluids I can check are low as far as I can tell.

It doesn't have a proper light like the ones that light up on start up. Unfortunately I can't find a picture of what I saw on my car, I can't even find a picture of the same binnacle set up as mine. Low oil though is the closest one to what my car displayed. If it pops up again I will try and get a picture.

My googling seemed to go with Austin man said (And the car has the other standard Vectra C faults it seems of dodgy window switches, Fan control and radio controls) but nothing had pictures of what I saw. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

turbodisplay - 7/3/15 at 10:49 AM

The sensor in question measures permativity, temp and level.
Permativity is an idication of quality of oil.
I did find this to be the case, level was good, due an oil change and the light came on every now and then.
Change the oil and all good no light for 1000s of miles after.
I would recommend an oil and filter change if the condition of the oil is unknown.
Darren

morcus - 7/3/15 at 06:42 PM

Thanks Darren, I think I will try and get that done next week though putting in more oil seems to have stopped it, but I won't know till I get a proper ride out in the car tomorrow (If it doesn't come on during my 250 mile trip I'll be inclined to think its fixed, but still will change the oil).

I went to Bowness this morning and the light came on before I got out of Barrow, heads up to the driver of the Black 7 I saw by the lake. On the way home it flashed on when starting (And the engine start up sounded slightly off, but could have been my imagination) went out then appeared when I got to Newby Bridge, about 15 minutes of mixed driving.

When I got home I put in about 250ml of Castrol Magnatec oil (I think 5w30 I've left it in the car but it was the oil the thing in the shop said to use) I say about because it was very windy so I spilt a little bit, I then warmed the car up and took a spirited Drive to Dalton and back (20-30 minutes mixed driving, pushed it a bit on the short stretch of 70 limit), stopping at the supermarket for level ground to recheck the oil where I found I had 3 of the 4 slots on the dip stick. It sounded slightly smoother but again I think that might be me rather than the car.

Unfortunately I've no service history at the moment, though if it turns up I'll get it in the post. I'm planning on having it serviced while I'm in Bristol as well as sorting out the other niggles.

I took a picture of it on my phone but I don't think it's needed now. I feel a little more confident I'll make it to Bristol, but I've got my AA relay cover just incase...

morcus - 9/3/15 at 06:43 PM

Popped back on at Newby Bridge and bothered me for the next 4 hours but still nothing seemed to happen so it's booked in for oil and for someone to take a look at it.