Board logo

mitre saw to metal chop saw
nick9one1 - 28/5/16 at 09:34 AM

I've seen a few videos of metal chop saws recently and they look far better than my current hacksaw/angle grinder combo.

I have a makita mitre saw (LS1040). would there be any harm in putting a metal dick in this?

From what I can tell the whole thing is metal, so the grindings shouldn't melt anything!

The wood blade is 255mm, and the closest I can find in discs is 240.

Makita Angle Grinder Cutting Disc for Metal 230mm x 3mm x 22.2mm Bore

or an expensive option..

DART 136mm - 355mm Professional Silver PMC Metal TCT Cutting Circular Saw Blades

[Edited on 28/5/16 by nick9one1]

[Edited on 28/5/16 by nick9one1]

emwmarine - 28/5/16 at 10:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick9one1

I have a makita mitre saw (LS1040). would there be any harm in putting a metal dick in this?

It's not a good idea putting a dick in a saw.

daniel mason - 28/5/16 at 10:12 AM

I had to resist as well!

blakep82 - 28/5/16 at 10:16 AM

Maybe he got a metal dick as a prosthetic, because he put his normal one in a chop saw?
Anyway! Why not go for one of the evolution rage extreme saws?

ALLAN 14 - 28/5/16 at 10:50 AM

Hi.
You can use your saw with either type of blade as long as the speed of the saw is within the limits set for each type of blade.
The blades designed for metal cutting on a chop saw have a blank type of tooth to prevent jamming when cutting thin tube or sheet.
If you match the speed RPM of your saw to the requiered peripheral speed Feet/min or Mtrs/min,(rpm X 3.142 X Dia = circumference and observe all the safety requirments, (metal fragments are very hot and are a bugger to get off when hot) you should be OK, Best rule of thumb is hold saw firmly and proceed slowly not forcing the saw as this will only overheat and wear out quickly.

Just work safe and be happy

Allan

nick9one1 - 28/5/16 at 12:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by emwmarine
quote:
Originally posted by nick9one1

It's not a good idea putting a dick in a saw.

hahaha - I really should read what I've written before posting!

corrado vr6 - 28/5/16 at 03:59 PM

I had the same idea as you, but then looked on eBay and picked up a second hand metal chop saw for the same price as a blade to put in my wood chop saw, so I never bothered in the end. Could be worth a look on eBay to see what could be picked up cheap that's designed for the job

nick9one1 - 28/5/16 at 05:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by corrado vr6
I had the same idea as you, but then looked on eBay and picked up a second hand metal chop saw for the same price as a blade to put in my wood chop saw, so I never bothered in the end. Could be worth a look on eBay to see what could be picked up cheap that's designed for the job

good call, thanks!

Bluemoon - 28/5/16 at 07:37 PM

From the sounds of it cutting metal with the correct blade will work but the particles of metal/disk are abrasive and will slowly kill a woodworking mitre tool.. Also plastic parts may melt If using an abrasive disk.. So as a one off might be o.k but for frequent use look at other options..