Board logo

Connecting Astra screen wash hoses
corrado vr6 - 17/12/17 at 06:33 PM

Hi

I have an issue with a leaking split connection onto the screen wash pump of my Astra.
It's the l shaped connection in this pic that's split so once pushed on it opens up the split and empty itself onto the road!

the L shaped connection appears to be crimped on, so cannot be replaced easily.
I found a new pump with a short section of hose on eBay, just wondering if I could cut my hose and join the two together easily?
Being corrugated I'm a bit sceptical

cliftyhanger - 17/12/17 at 09:04 PM

As there is no real pressure, a bit of slightly larger (or even smaller) tube to sleeve the corrugated stuff with a bit of sealant (PU stuff, but silicone, araldite etc) should be adequate. Even araldite and a wrap to support it while hardening on yur split joiner should work.
Obviously a clean first. I find brake cleaner very convenient for that!

David Jenkins - 17/12/17 at 09:40 PM

Following on from the last suggestion, I'd try to find some thin-wall tubing that is a tight fit inside, silicone sealant as a sealer/adhesive, and some glue-lined heat-shrink tubing to go on top. However I have boxes full of bits and pieces of material, and a bag full of assorted heat-shrink tubing, so my suggestion may be easier for me than for you!

jossey - 17/12/17 at 09:47 PM

If I recall rightly they are 8mm inner diameter so copper pipe 8mm works

craigdiver - 17/12/17 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jossey
If I recall rightly they are 8mm inner diameter so copper pipe 8mm works

a correctly sized plastic barbed connector would do the job with a dab of silicone sealant - search ebay

CosKev3 - 17/12/17 at 11:03 PM

The L shaped piece will come out of the corrugated hose