Board logo

Drive cleaner
The Baron - 10/5/11 at 07:22 PM

The oil filer on the wife's little street car managed to split and dumped a fair amount of oil over my drive (tarmac) i soaked up what i could with sand, then jet washed it (used a bit of washing up liquid too)

can anyone recommend any cleaning agents i can put on the dirve to try and shift the stain?

Cheers,

The Baron

macc man - 10/5/11 at 07:43 PM

I shifted an oil stain on block paving with a patio cleaner used 50/50 with water. Scrub well with a stiff brush. Leave to soak and rinse off. Be carefull with solvents on tarmac as it can disolve the tar and will break up.

Cubby - 10/5/11 at 07:50 PM

Brake cleaner great on concrete spray on brush in and hose off . Never tried it on tarmac so test a small patch first.

britishtrident - 10/5/11 at 07:56 PM

Soap powder --- scrub it in dry then wash off.

norfolkluego - 10/5/11 at 08:05 PM

Gunk would be best I would have thought

britishtrident - 10/5/11 at 08:18 PM

Gunk, brake cleaner --- both will disolve tarmac.

norfolkluego - 10/5/11 at 09:01 PM

Swarfega, rubbed in and washed off?

rusty nuts - 11/5/11 at 08:56 PM

Don't know if it would work on tarmac but I've just cleaned a really bad oil stain off of a concrete floor using oil absorbent granules and shuffling it around, has cleaned it up really well fot not a lot of money/effort

britishtrident - 11/5/11 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Don't know if it would work on tarmac but I've just cleaned a really bad oil stain off of a concrete floor using oil absorbent granules and shuffling it around, has cleaned it up really well fot not a lot of money/effort

Kitty Litter same stuff but easier to get.

rusty nuts - 12/5/11 at 07:29 PM

Any motor factors stock oil absorbent granules and I get regular deliveries , to get kitty litter I have to go out and find a pet shop plus pay more

Had to clean a diesel spill off of tarmac today , the granules shifted 99% of it with no problems

[Edited on 12/5/11 by rusty nuts]

Krismc - 12/5/11 at 08:01 PM

if you have a Local gas/oil depo then Spil dry (oil absorbant granules) are around £4 for 25kg last you weeks - or if you in newcastle then i have 2 bags in my van, last me days if that! i drop oil every day in lift shafts, but it will only take the main part awy and not the stain - try washing powder for the stain or ambosol spray (also in my van) for when i get oil on customers belongings ie carpets, floors even walls some times lol