Board logo

Excel 2007
Alan M - 3/7/12 at 11:17 AM

Hi All

I wonder if anyone can help?

I'm trying to put together a progress tracker for an NVQ qualification; for each learner I need a list of tasks band then want to tick them off as they are completed. I would then like this to show as a percentage of the whole qualification at the end of the sheet for each learner. I can achieve this if I use a 1 in place of a tick but for appearance sake would like to use a wingdings "tick"

Any ideas how this can be achieved?

All input gratefully received. Ta

Agriv8 - 3/7/12 at 11:28 AM

Alan.

I would tackle this by use of the Countif formula you can use this to count your wingding ticks ( or the letter that the tick is asigned to ) from the countig you can use your calulation to work out percentage of total.

if that does not make sense shout up and I will try and assist.

ATB Agriv8

Agriv8 - 3/7/12 at 11:33 AM

PS you need Webdings 2 and "P" ( cpital is important ) on the line you want count the ticks on

=COUNTIF(A3:J3,"P" )

where A3:J3 = the cells containg the tick you are counting

Agriv8

[Edited on 3/7/12 by Agriv8]

RIE - 3/7/12 at 11:36 AM

Was going to say the same as Agriv8, but he got there before me while I was looking for the ü (tick) character!

code:
=COUNTIF(A2:T2,"ü" )/20

That's assuming each student has a row to themselves, and there are 20 stages. Change numbers and ranges as appropriate.

[Edited on 3/7/12 by RIE]

Alan M - 3/7/12 at 11:48 AM

Great! Thanks very much guys

kipper - 3/7/12 at 12:49 PM

Here they go again, trying to confuse us old technophobes. I wonder what they are talking about? It's a whole new world.( Still trying to come to terms with the Fax machine)

good luck kids, Denis.

Alan M - 3/7/12 at 12:59 PM

Brilliant! That works a treat. Now..............

If I want to add some test results for each student and then get the calculation to include them in the progress percentage?

e.g.

G1 G2 G3 G4 LT1 LT2 LT3 LT4 LT1 LT2 Total % 93 90 "P" 75 "P" 68 "P" "P" "P" 67 ?

Alan M - 3/7/12 at 01:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alan M
Brilliant! That works a treat. Now..............

If I want to add some test results for each student and then get the calculation to include them in the progress percentage?

e.g.

G1 G2 G3 G4 LT1 LT2 LT3 LT4 LT1 LT2 Total % 93 90 "P" 75 "P" 68 "P" "P" "P" 67 ?

Sorry should read:
G1 G2 G3 G4 LT1 LT2 LT3 Total %
75 "P" 68 "P" "P" "P" 67 ?

Agriv8 - 3/7/12 at 03:54 PM

Alan you lost me mate

do they have a Percentage ( how much of the asigment complete ) then a tick.

or in othether words a tick = 100% if its a percentage that how much they have done so far ?

Kipper dont worry computers are even more trouble and illogical than those Wimmin

ATB Agriv8

Alan M - 3/7/12 at 04:08 PM

Sorry, I knew I hadn't explained it well!

Basically they have certain tests and assignments to complete. The tests are marked with a percentage score. The practical assignments are just ticked when completed.

Any clearer?

Cheers, Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Alan you lost me mate

do they have a Percentage ( how much of the asigment complete ) then a tick.

or in othether words a tick = 100% if its a percentage that how much they have done so far ?

Kipper dont worry computers are even more trouble and illogical than those Wimmin

ATB Agriv8

Agriv8 - 3/7/12 at 05:03 PM

clear as Mud

U2U me your Email Address and I will send you a working Excell sheet when I get Home this eve.

ATB Agriv8

RIE - 3/7/12 at 09:02 PM

Does each percentage score has the same weighting as a tick, i.e. that stage is completed?

=COUNTA(A2:G2)/7

This is following your example above of 7 modules. It will count anything entered in the cells, whether it's a number, tick character or a humourous limerick.

Or, is Total % adjusted by each percentage score? E.g. If student A has {75%, "P", 68%} and student B has {80%, "P", 74%} then student B has a higher Total % than student A.

=SUM(A8:G8,COUNTIF(A8:G8,"P" ))/7

This will count each tick as a 100% mark in that module, and add all module marks together, then divide by the number of modules. The percentage scores need to be entered as either 68% or 0.68. Entering 68 will give wrong answers.

Alan M - 1/8/12 at 09:28 AM

Sorry! Only just noticed your post. This is exactly what I was looking for (and just been informed by a clever person at work)
Many thanks, Al

quote:
Originally posted by RIE
Does each percentage score has the same weighting as a tick, i.e. that stage is completed?

=COUNTA(A2:G2)/7

This is following your example above of 7 modules. It will count anything entered in the cells, whether it's a number, tick character or a humourous limerick.

Or, is Total % adjusted by each percentage score? E.g. If student A has {75%, "P", 68%} and student B has {80%, "P", 74%} then student B has a higher Total % than student A.

=SUM(A8:G8,COUNTIF(A8:G8,"P" ))/7

This will count each tick as a 100% mark in that module, and add all module marks together, then divide by the number of modules. The percentage scores need to be entered as either 68% or 0.68. Entering 68 will give wrong answers.