Board logo

Fibre glass bath repair
mookaloid - 24/1/14 at 06:55 PM

Has anyone done this satisfactorily?

It is fibre glass and it has had a knock in one corner and the gel coat has cracked.

If I slap lots of mat underneath the area, then gently clean out the crack in the gel coat with the dremel, then repair the gel coat with this stuff Plastic padding

will it be a lasting repair?

Cheers

Mark

cliftyhanger - 24/1/14 at 07:49 PM

Yes, exactly how I repaired a bath 10 years ago, still fine. And that is in a rental house of sharers (probably at bathtime too......)

You can use fine wet and dry, then cutting compound to finish and give a virtually invisible repair.

cliftyhanger - 24/1/14 at 07:49 PM

Yes, exactly how I repaired a bath 10 years ago, still fine. And that is in a rental house of sharers (probably at bathtime too......)

You can use fine wet and dry, then cutting compound to finish and give a virtually invisible repair.

mookaloid - 24/1/14 at 08:08 PM

Cool thanks

plentywahalla - 24/1/14 at 09:53 PM

Are you sure its all fibreglass? Most baths today are heat formed from acrylic sheet and then reinforced by laminating GRP on the reverse. A completely invisible repair using polyester gel will be almost impossible to achieve in acrylic.

jacko - 25/1/14 at 12:03 PM

Buy a new bath you tight sod
I bet Louise would rather have a new bath

mookaloid - 26/1/14 at 01:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by plentywahalla
Are you sure its all fibreglass? Most baths today are heat formed from acrylic sheet and then reinforced by laminating GRP on the reverse. A completely invisible repair using polyester gel will be almost impossible to achieve in acrylic.

After a bit of research I think it probably is Acrylic however I found this stuff http://www.bathtubrepair.co.uk/ so I'll give it a go.