Board logo

Basement advice needed
macspeedy - 13/5/14 at 08:18 PM

My wife and i have been in our house for just under a year, we have been doing it up, fixing the problems etc and discovered there is a large sloped basement under the bathroom and kitchen, we are very keep to utilise this space, we are planning to go through the wall shown at 1.22 on the vid and excavating the ground to maximise the space, i understand shoaring of foundations are needed and we have an architect onside and a structural engineer coming in soon but i was looking for any input you guys have as this forum has always been great for info !!!

Thanks

linky to vid !

brookie - 13/5/14 at 08:57 PM

What will u use the space for first

macspeedy - 13/5/14 at 09:01 PM

We are looking at extending the utility room out which is behind that wall, a box room for studying computers etc... the rest will be a boiler room for a log gasification boiler and thermal store and a wood store. size of space is approx 6m x 6m, 2.5m high one end and 1 ish the other, the floor is currently a layer of concrete.

[Edited on 13/5/14 by macspeedy]

mookaloid - 13/5/14 at 09:37 PM

Best advice I can give is get structural engineer and possibly an architect involved.

You are already doing that so good luck with the project - looks like a load of extra space for hopefully not a huge amount of money

brookie - 13/5/14 at 09:53 PM

^^^^^^what that man says

brookie - 13/5/14 at 09:53 PM

Keep us informed

Ninehigh - 14/5/14 at 07:52 AM

Ooh I've always wanted an underground lair! I can't remember ever having a house with a basement though

02GF74 - 14/5/14 at 07:25 PM

can't help but I know a man who can.