Board logo

Any brickies or builders on here?
corrado vr6 - 12/3/16 at 09:00 AM

Hi there

I'm in need of some advice, I need to chop out this concrete step below from within the brickwork. I believe this was the old back door at some point which has been patched in, however there is no DPC now between the brick and the concrete.

My question is will I be ok to bolster out all the concrete in one go and patch in the brickwork or should I do it in sections so it's supported as I go?

[Edited on 12/3/16 by corrado vr6]

JoelP - 12/3/16 at 12:40 PM

Only a few bricks will drop if you don't support it, which isn't the end of the world. I'd drill it to death first so it comes out easier.

Smoking Frog - 12/3/16 at 04:12 PM

No support needed. It looks like a solid wall with stretchers. I'm no brick layer mind.

David Jenkins - 12/3/16 at 04:50 PM

I'm not a brickie either - but I'd want to know the condition of the mortar in the joints above the step before I started hacking. If it's sound then maybe you'll be OK, but if it's crumbling to dust...

...it looks quite elderly in the photo.

[Edited on 12/3/16 by David Jenkins]

rusty nuts - 12/3/16 at 07:06 PM

What's the worst that can happen?

Whoops

02GF74 - 12/3/16 at 07:35 PM

Find an old palette or other bits of wood and make short wedges to support the gaps as you make them.

Is what i saw on tv fred dibnar doing, if its strong enough to hold up a 100 ft chimney, should be ok for your wall.

I am not a brickie either but i know pink floyd did an album about a wall.

DIY Si - 13/3/16 at 12:16 AM

You can expect to loosen the thin/chopped down bricks, but it's common to have openings in brick walls up to 1m wide with little/no support. However, as you say it's an old door way, is there a lintol above? If so, that will take any weight and you can go for it as the bricks to either side will carry the structural load.

PS, if your house falls over, I told you it looked dodgy!