Board logo

House heating problem
steve m - 20/12/06 at 07:27 PM

Hi

My central heating timer switch is knackerd, so we have to put the heating/water on manually,
I have been looking at various different timers, but im baffled to which one i need

my system comprises of boiler downstairs, hot water tank, pump upstairs (airing cupboard) with 2 motorised valves
the old timer about 1970 vintage is "Randall 4033" and this gave up at least 10 years ago!!

I can find repalacements for the above timer, but I have now got an Imersion as well in the hot water tank that is also manually switch driven,

the randall 4033 or any direct replacements wont support an imersion

I would like some form of digital, or at least not clockwork !!(randall 4033)
and would like to easily programme the heating to come on, with overide

cos we only got in at 1900 ish and its freezing in here
the other option is to leave it on all day when we are at work, yet that seems so wastefull
steve, brrrrrrrrrrrrr

cos we only got in at 1900 ish and its freezing in here

[Edited on 20/12/06 by steve m]

spewing - 20/12/06 at 08:37 PM

Personaly i use Honeywell controls.
You may have to rewire in the airingcupboard but you can get 7 day timers with seperate controll for hot water and central heating. Override to the next timed event or an extra hour.
Your best bet will be to rewire with a honeywell wiring center that has a pcb in that you wire in the timer, motorised valves, boiler, pump and thermostat feeds and cut out various links depending on your configeration (two valves = S plan)

As far as im aware there are no cehtral heating controllers that will also switch your imersion heater.

Hope this helps

Kev

Peteff - 20/12/06 at 09:07 PM

Fit a new timer, the 4033 is still sold now as a Danfoss 4033 I believe, try the Plumbworld site . You could temporarily disconnect the wire from the timer and put a plug on the end and plug it into a timer plug to come on before you get in. Immersion switch is manual for a quick top up when the heating is not in use in summer.

nitram38 - 20/12/06 at 09:29 PM

Most modern programmers are universal.
Just goto you local plumbers merchants and get some advise about the correct one.

ady8077 - 20/12/06 at 10:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m

I can find repalacements for the above timer, but I have now got an Imersion as well in the hot water tank that is also manually switch driven,

the randall 4033 or any direct replacements wont support an imersion

Hi Steve

most heating programers cant work an immersion heater as there only rated at 3 amps, I suppose you could fit a relay?

Adrian

MkIndy7 - 21/12/06 at 12:44 AM

The only Time clocks I know of off the top of my head that are powerful enough to control and Immersion heater are Sangamo mechanical (not sure onn the newer digital 1's) time clocks that are 13A rated.

Most domestic timeclocks are ment for controling a boiler and hot water cylinder 3 port valve or pump

[Edited on 21/12/06 by MkIndy7]

Markp - 21/12/06 at 11:28 AM

By the sounds of it your system is a fully pumped s plan, most, if not all digital programmers will work your system.

You should have in the clock at the moment

live
neutral
heating on
water on
earth

unless the clock has been used as a wiring centre as well. The life style clock is really good, it can be as basic or as complicated as you like, the display is good and the clock changes it's own time in summer / winter.

These are available in b&q, etc

The immersion is a normally back up only and runs on a 13amp fuse unlike the heating which is 3amp, Some people have the immersion on a seperate timer which runs with the economy seven

To change clocks like you have (unless it's been used as a wiring centre) should take no more than around 30 mins if you take you time.

ATB Mark