Board logo

Cherokee trailer wiring?
owelly - 30/4/08 at 08:21 PM

I spose this is in the right section....???

I have a 2005 Jeep Cherokee that came fitted with a lovely posh removable swan neck towball. I have just tried the electrics to make sure they are OK for towing my trailer to Stoneli=eigh and they don't work.
It seems that the way to wire these things up, is to coil the cable up and zip-tie it to the back of the bumper...........

It's possible to buy a sub loom that just plugs into the original vehicle loom but it's £100+. I just want to know where the plug is on the vehicle loom so I can butcher my wires into it. All of the trim in the boot is flimsy plastic rubbish and I feel sure it will fly to pieces as soon as I try to remove it so it would be nice to know where to start looking.
I favour the right hand side somewhere behind the wheel arch but if someone could confirm or deny this, I'd be utterly happy!
Cheers, Owelly.
[Edited on 30/4/08 by owelly]

[Edited on 30/4/08 by owelly]

britishtrident - 30/4/08 at 08:52 PM

I don't know about your vehicle but on some other recent models lighting control is really complex & high tech (ie light switches with built in microprocessors !) and just won't play if you even change to wattage of a reverse light bulb to a lower wattage.

You could try the old fashioned method just scotch locking into the rear lights -- but I suspect the previous owner may have tried that.?

[Edited on 30/4/08 by britishtrident]

owelly - 30/4/08 at 09:40 PM

As the Cherokee is the most agricultural heap I have ever played with, I doubt there lights are electric, never mind microprocessed!!
The previous owner was the Jeep garage and they couldn't be bothered to try and wire it up!

rayward - 1/5/08 at 07:17 AM

if you have any warning on the dash to tell you when a bulb has blown, you need to a bypass relay,

vehicle specific wiring kit Here but not cheap at £180

Ray

[Edited on 1/5/08 by rayward]

owelly - 1/5/08 at 08:16 AM

The one they list for my car is £106 (reduced from £165) but I'd rather set fire to my hair than pay that. I just need to find the blummin socket that is hidden behind the trim and I'll be sorted.....

Coose - 1/5/08 at 08:32 AM

Noo mate!

I've found this, but I dunno if it's of use?
Have a look here.

owelly - 1/5/08 at 12:02 PM

Cheers Coosey. It's no use whatsoever.......

timf - 1/5/08 at 12:08 PM

jeeps own install instructions

ps have the front ball joints on yours been replaced under warranty yet if not get it done quickly

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82207248.pdf

Coose - 1/5/08 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Cheers Coosey. It's no use whatsoever.......

Good. That's what I hoped!