Board logo

dry sump on a dragster
metro6r4 - 1/11/11 at 10:50 PM

hi im building a Haynes lo cost to use for speed challenges and drag racing with a rover k series engine.i found a bellhousing to convert a type 9 to accept the rover engine however i have to run a dry sump to fit it will this be of any benefit or should ilook for a different bell housing as i dont want to carry any extra weight i wont be taking corners at speed and it wont be on the road if that helps

James - 2/11/11 at 12:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by metro6r4
i dont want to carry any extra weight

Sure the Haynes is the right car for you then? It's a fair bit heavier than a Locost I'd imagine!

Cheers,
James

SeanStone - 2/11/11 at 07:08 AM

a dry sump system is generally heavier than a standard oil system, so i'd consider your other options first

phelpsa - 2/11/11 at 07:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by metro6r4
i dont want to carry any extra weight

Sure the Haynes is the right car for you then? It's a fair bit heavier than a Locost I'd imagine!

Cheers,
James

And it's IRS which can be a bit of a disadvantage off the line.

metro6r4 - 2/11/11 at 07:21 PM

well its not cost me a lot at the moment and it will be easier to work on than my last ride and a lot lighter hopefully but more importantly he power is going through the right wheels id of liked to run a bigger car but its on the limit of what i have room for fingers crossed it will get rid of my wheel spin issue im intending to run nearly 300 hp with nitrous maybe more if i can find a supercharger for sensible money

what does irs mean and will the dry sump make a difference to performance?

nz_climber - 3/11/11 at 04:31 AM

Would have thought a aero of 7 makes it very disadvantaged for drag racing. Would be more looking at mid engine fully enclosed car. Dry sump will make a tiny bit more power but probably not noticeable.

scudderfish - 3/11/11 at 06:36 AM

Why would dry sumping increase power? You have a bigger oil pump to run. I thought the primary reason for dry sumping was to avoid oil starvation under high lateral G loads around corners. Corners are not really something to worry about at Santa Pod.

Yazza54 - 3/11/11 at 06:46 AM

Your k series isn't going to last 5 minutes at 300hp. The last one that was supercharged that I know of just kept blowing head gaskets and he was only at enough boost for 200hp. This was a seriously professional setup, now been ditched for Honda power...

Oddified - 3/11/11 at 08:48 AM

Dry sumps are meant to increase power slightly because the crank case is at a small vacuum, but it's only small and i doubt it's worth it in drag racing when oil starvation isn't a problem and your then carrying a load more clobber down the strip.

Plenty of people do use the K series on the strip with nitrous, but 300bhp maywell be past where it's happy/reliable.

Ian