Board logo

Cutting a 7.5 diff Question
jacko - 24/9/13 at 05:06 PM

Hi All
has anyone cut the extra 1/2ins of the top diff mounting to make a 7 1/2 diff fit in the place of a 7ins diff
I have measured the two types and the only things i can find different are the top mounting and the front pinion is 1/4ins closer to the gearbox making the prop 1/4ins shorter
Thank you for any help you can give me in doing this

Also i have weighed it two types 7ins lsd and a open 71/2 and they are the same
Jacko

Gary 7 - 24/9/13 at 06:43 PM

I altered the chassis bracket to fit a 7.5 rather than cut the diff.Three of the existing mounts are in the correct position ,the top mount passenger side needs cutting off and a new bracket made up. i made a new bracket bolted to chassis then bolt diff to new bracket rather than weld next to fuel tank.If you need to swap back to 7 inch just need a half inch spacer.

CNHSS1 - 24/9/13 at 06:46 PM

Ive not done as you suggested but seen it do more than a few times and plan to do it on my car when its rebuilt as I have a 7.5 4.27 id like to try whereas I currently have 3.38, 3.62 and 3.9 7" to play with

Gary 7 - 24/9/13 at 08:00 PM

If want to cut it down to fit.Go easy on the angry grinder.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=16701&page=0&contribmessage=none

mcerd1 - 25/9/13 at 07:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Gary 7
I altered the chassis bracket to fit a 7.5 rather than cut the diff.Three of the existing mounts are in the correct position ,the top mount passenger side needs cutting off and a new bracket made up. i made a new bracket bolted to chassis then bolt diff to new bracket rather than weld next to fuel tank.If you need to swap back to 7 inch just need a half inch spacer.

+1 why risk damaging the diff ot making its mounts weaker ?

any time I've seen a broken sierra diff its been these mounts that broke off