Board logo

Bracketing for a Polo Rad
RoadsterDave62 - 24/3/16 at 07:40 AM

Hi Guys

Second question of the day.

Im waiting for my Haynes Roadster body to be delivered, I want to mount my Polo Rad but am worried it my be in the way of the nose cone. Does anybody have the mounting location, ie. does the bottom of the rad sit level with the bottom chassis rail, how far away from the front of the chassis should I mount it and should it be vertical or on the same plan as the front of the chassis.

Again, thanks in advance.

Dave

metel matt - 24/3/16 at 07:58 AM

Hi Dave have a look through my pics of my roadster. I mounted my rad just about high enough to get the top hose over the chassis rail and it could be clipped down.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/50/viewthread.php?tid=202165

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124541083@N02/

johnemms - 24/3/16 at 09:48 AM

Locost Polo Rad - not sure if any help -

Front Bay Side
Front Bay Side

Description
Description

Radiator pipes and fan fitted
Radiator pipes and fan fitted

Description
Description

pewe - 24/3/16 at 12:28 PM

If it helps rads are more efficient if canted slightly back - also means they sit lower.
I used some heavy duty brick straps for top and bottom brackets - pre drilled and galvanised - seemed to make sense....
HTH.
Cheeers, Pewe10

johnemms - 24/3/16 at 12:58 PM

Love this stuff.. also if you sell the car they say take it out and use it in the next one
Evans waterless cooling

02GF74 - 24/3/16 at 06:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
If it helps rads are more efficient if canted slightly back -l:

I dont think that is true. Most efficient is when air is perpendicular.... hence why its vertical in mass produced cars.

See third post down is what i think is a good explanation.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/110589-radiator-inclination/

Re original question, find another job and wait until nose cone arrives, why risk getting it wrong?

[Edited on 24/3/16 by 02GF74]

Bluemoon - 24/3/16 at 10:44 PM

Wait for thenosecone.. The fit will be similar to my mk Indy polo setup there is little space to play with...

Dan

james h - 25/3/16 at 01:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
Wait for thenosecone.. The fit will be similar to my mk Indy polo setup there is little space to play with...

Dan

I had to tilt mine backward quite a bit. The bleed was on the top right corner (as you look from the front of the car) and is quite close to the side of the nosecone.

corrado vr6 - 25/3/16 at 01:07 PM

This is how I mounted mine on my MK Indy

Adamirish - 25/3/16 at 10:34 PM

As said above. Wait for the nose cone. There is VERY little room to play with. I made up all the brackets and it was about 5mm out and rubbed on the nose cone. Had to do some more bending to fit. I also used 2 6mm thread, rubber bobbins on the top mount with brackets going underneath the rad using the pegs on the bottom. I mounted these into grommets. Probably a bit overkill really but vibration will ruin plastic!