Board logo

Screw fallen in the gearbox
maurof74 - 20/5/18 at 10:36 PM

Hi everybody,
A screw has unfortunately fallen inside the t9 gearbox,
I'm not able to see it despite I drained all the oil.
I tried with a small magnet without results,
I just ordered a more professional (and hopefully more powerful) flexible magnet.
Some similar experience or ideas before removing engine and gearbox?

Mr Whippy - 21/5/18 at 04:47 AM

Does the gearbox still turn? Obviously your assuming that screw is at the bottom. If it's a cast iron case that may make the magnet less useful. How about one on a flexible plastic rod you can stick in the drain hole? You might get lucky.

[Edited on 21/5/18 by Mr Whippy]

maurof74 - 21/5/18 at 05:15 AM

Yes the gearbox run normally,
It is cast iron, and there is no draining hole

spaximus - 21/5/18 at 07:07 AM

Depends what it is in but if in a seven, take the alloy off the centre tunnel and whip the top cover off the box then you can get a better chance with the magnet

cliftyhanger - 21/5/18 at 07:48 AM

I think there is a built in magnet plate on the bottom of the casing, inside?
Is the box in the car? (if so how did a screw fall in??)
If not turn the box upside down, it may fall out.

ReMan - 21/5/18 at 08:22 AM

the result and tool may also depend on the size of the screw
a very small one could be stuck somewhere by oil, whre a big one you would expect to succumb to gravity and only stop when caught mechanically

jacko - 21/5/18 at 09:24 AM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Endoscope-Inspection-Waterproof-Smartphone-Laptop-3-5m/dp/B01KX0XUXA/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_23_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRI D=MJRFWFVCTN5E6MFVTSQS

how about one of these

ps
its not in the oil you drained out is it

[Edited on 21/5/18 by jacko]

MikeR - 21/5/18 at 09:26 AM

Find a sewer, stick a magnet to the top of the gear box, pray and then drive like the Italian job....

I think it's top off box of time and lots of prodding.

How did you drain the oil, if it was via a vacuum pump could it have been sucked out with the oil?

MikeR - 21/5/18 at 06:03 PM

Did you drain out via the tail housing? Just wondering if it could have moved down there?

miskit - 21/5/18 at 06:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Endoscope-Inspection-Waterproof-Smartphone-Laptop-3-5m/dp/B01KX0XUXA/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_23_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRI D=MJRFWFVCTN5E6MFVTSQS

how about one of these

ps
its not in the oil you drained out is it

[Edited on 21/5/18 by jacko]

I have one of those - completely useless unfortunately. The focal length is about 10cm minimum so anything closer is a blur. However a proper one borrowed or bought would be a great idea.

maurof74 - 21/5/18 at 07:48 PM

Great idea the Italian job :-)))

The gearbox is in the car, the screw fallen down because of my mistake while I was opening the gbx upper cover for checking due to some noise....

I drained the oil from the upper side with a U hose

steve m - 21/5/18 at 09:25 PM

With all the other shavings, metal etc in there, I doubt a little screw will do anything,
My rocket box has a big magnet in the bottom, and that's COVERED in metal when I drain/rebuild

I would just carry on, if the box seizes or makes strange noises, then stop, call the AA, that's what there there for ?

If its a cast iron box, buy some powerfull magnets, and stick them on the bottom, they will find any metal floating about

steve

Ivan - 22/5/18 at 03:37 AM

I had a Rover SDI manual with about 120 000 km on the clock whose gearchange locked up in neutral on a trip. During the tow to the nearest town it freed up and was fine for the rest of the trip. Inspection by the agents found a large bolt had lodged in the dogs somehow and then got free. No obvious source for the bolt so they assumed it was left there during assembly. The bolt was fairly banged about but never caused any trouble before that.

maurof74 - 22/5/18 at 09:02 PM

Screw catched with the flexible arm magnet.
Problem solved! Yeah!

gremlin1234 - 22/5/18 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by maurof74
Problem solved! Yeah!
well done
I think we should vote on tool of the week,
you, or the magnet.
magnet gets my vote!

Angel Acevedo - 23/5/18 at 03:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by maurof74
Problem solved! Yeah!
well done
I think we should vote on tool of the week,
you, or the magnet.
magnet gets my vote!

GBH...

Peace of mind for you Mauro...