Board logo

Turbo from a 2009 2.0TDCi Kuga
stevebubs - 3/10/19 at 09:26 PM

Have one of them potentially lying around; it's a variable vane type - any good to use in a zetec turbo project?

Have an Emerald ECU.

[Edited on 3/10/19 by stevebubs]

obfripper - 4/10/19 at 07:17 AM

Only if you're building a diesel, the nozzle vanes are stainless and will melt in a petrol exhaust stream.
The evos with variable nozzles have ceramic vanes to get around this.

Dave

theduck - 4/10/19 at 07:18 AM

You could probably make it work, but there are better options out there that wont break the bank. My preference is using a TD04-13T from a WRX impreza

big_wasa - 4/10/19 at 10:29 AM

I also think the td04 is ideal for a low boost zetec. They are tiny and easy to work with.

[Edited on 4/10/19 by big_wasa]

stevebubs - 4/10/19 at 02:15 PM

Thanks, Guys

BigWasa - any more details of your setup? Looks like what I'm aiming for..

big_wasa - 4/10/19 at 04:14 PM

Yeh I will stick some photos up when I’ve done few finishing bits.

In essence it’s mostly home made and based on a hot hatch instead of a turbo race engine. I’m only looking for 250bhp and it wouldn’t be me if it wasn’t run on a ford Oem ecu.

Engine is a hybrid, St170 bottom end and a Blacktop top end with a 1.8mm hg and the st valve springs on the inlet.
Reason for this is stronger con rods and a compression ratio of 9:1.

Turbo is the Td04, cheap reliable. And will make between 225~275ish on a scooby.

Manifold, new focus from a crate engine. Cut the flange of and flip it 180 deg and weld back on. Weld on a your turbo flange of choice.

Oil feed, custom braided. 105cm long, m10 banjo both ends. Very cheap. There is already a feed on the block you just need a 1/8npt to m10 adapter. You can even get a ford stamped one from the Focus Rs.

Oil drain. I’ve drilled and tapped my raceline sump for an An10 fitting.

Inlet is a log manifold in steel that I do plan on upgrading.

Rs 440cc injectors. Rs spark plugs. Rs Ecu.

The bit I am nervous off is the cooling. I’ve gone for a coolex air to air over a coolex 55mm polo rad

Showing how small the Td04 is.

Mock up

theduck - 4/10/19 at 04:48 PM

Looks a nice build! I dont think you will get 250 wheel from a standard TD04-13T though, those figures you quoted for the scooby are at the fly. You could got for a hybrid TD04, fit a 19T kit and and the large HL exhaust housing and you should be able to make 250 wheel then.

big_wasa - 4/10/19 at 05:08 PM

I am aware the Td04 is on it’s limit and may stay low as it’s probably more than enough anyway. I was thinking Holset he221 and I have the Rs Gt25 that will do the 275. It’s a bigger turbo so harder to plumb.

The aim is more power than throttle bodies for less cash than throttle bodies.

theduck - 4/10/19 at 06:09 PM

Similar to my aims with my first pinto turbo build, more power than bike carbs and cam for less cash, which it achieved. Now its just gone silly 😹