Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ABS plastic sheeting
bimbleuk

posted on 26/2/06 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
ABS plastic sheeting

I've kept my kit car fairly spartan but couldn't resist adding a little side panelling. Also the rear bulk head ally sheet was looking a little scrathed so I replaced that too.

I decided to try some ABS sheeting from ESP plastics and glad I did. Much easier to work with than ally IMO and can be formed when heated for more complex installations.

http://www.esp-plastics.co.uk/kitcar.html

2.5mm is good for cosmetic panels. The 4mm would be better for more structural uses. The carbon effect is an after thought really. The transmission tunnel has got proper kevlar weave on GRP and so you can clearly see the pattern in it.

ABS sheet to replace ally
ABS sheet to replace ally

RazMan

posted on 26/2/06 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ooooh, so you can form it with a heat gun to smooth out some sharp corners?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bimbleuk

posted on 26/2/06 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yep it will flex a long way without feeling like it will shatter and returns to a flat sheet. If you heat it then it will retain the bend.

I cut the long edges with a wood saw and the finish was very neat. I could also cut the 2.5mm sheet with snips very easily too. Like ally but without deforming the edges!

Avoneer

posted on 26/2/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
How did you make the tunnel top?

Thanks,

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trextr7monkey

posted on 27/2/06 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
HI, we use this stuff with school pupils to make clocks and things with a hot wire bending machine, also can be vac formed to make mud guards and wind deflectors for toy trucks and a whole variety of cases and trays for holding electronic projects.
On an ex curricular basis, and for research purposes only, you understand, I have used it for kick panels, number plate mounts, floorliners, mini boot liners, spare wheel cover discs, dash boards, battery boxes etc etc, It can also be vac formed to make battery covers - our machine is fairly small which limits this activity.
It will bend easily when warmed with a hot air gun and can then be formed over the edgeof a work top/ broomshank or similar- main concern is not to get it too hot as this can cause bubbling in the surface - if you get the hot rubber smell it is hot enough.
Edges are best draw filed and polished with a bit of wet and dry paper. Over enthusiastic operatives have been known to melt it on the buffing machine so be careful or rather less enthusiastic.
Cuts easily with a bandsaw, jigsaw, scroll saw or if you are a cave dweller , by hand.

bimbleuk

posted on 27/2/06 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Well my garage was cold as a cave over the weekend so I cut it by hand!

Avoneer - The tunnel top is a RAW item, one of the few trim bits they actually sell for a Striker. I would have made mine from ABS if I didn't have that already!

The tunnel is a GRP mould with a single Kevlar weave layer and then clear coated on top.

[Edited on 28/2/06 by bimbleuk]

flak monkey

posted on 27/2/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Looks rather nice

How does the price compare with ally panels out of interest? Not idea how much ally sheet costs these days...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

RazMan

posted on 27/2/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'm think that the thinner stuff might be a good basis for trimming panels instead of using mdf, ally etc. If you can make softer bends by using a heat gun it will be ideal for dashes and tunnels, even things like roof panels etc

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

trextr7monkey

posted on 28/2/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Can't really compare the price as we buy in ali sheet from a stock holder or offcuts at the shows but get the ABS in true locost tradition via a mutual acquaintance

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

smart51

posted on 1/3/06 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Score it with a stanley knife and bend. The plastic will crack along the score giving a reasonably clean edge. hold the knife blade a 90 degrees to the edge and pull it smoothly along and the edge becomes very clean. Much quicker and easier than using a saw and gives a better finish.

Most plasics have a density around 0.95 and 1.2 so 2.5mm plastic will weight about the same as 1mm aly.

donut

posted on 1/3/06 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
This is desyboy's dash made from carbon effect abs:

Description
Description

His entire interior and back boot lid is in the same stuff and it's stunning. Check out his photo archive.

[Edited on 1/3/06 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

Mezzz

posted on 11/4/06 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
can you use this stuff in 750 MC
Jasper

posted on 18/12/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just how much will this stuff bend and how easily with a heat gun? Could you make a rolled edge suitable for SVA?

Just phoned the company and the answer was yes

[Edited on 18/12/06 by Jasper]

Steve Lovelock

posted on 18/12/06 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Any idea where the cheapest place to buy this would be?

I'd like to get enough to do the dash and boot covering and a few other bits and pieces.

the moa 2

posted on 24/12/06 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a look at Desyboys interior and it looks f**cking great.

Can you put a 90 degree bend on this stuff?

cfc999

posted on 7/11/15 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent

U2U sent regarding abs sheet.
BenB

posted on 7/11/15 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Holy shit. Fire up the flux capacitor Marty- it's the thread resurrection from the Guinness book of records
cfc999

posted on 7/11/15 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
I know its a bit of a shot in the dark but back to the future's all the rage at the mo isn't it.

[Edited on 7/11/15 by cfc999]

tmay1991

posted on 10/3/17 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
This is a fantastic idea! Definitely noted for when I start my build, like the fact it won't pick up little dings and such like thin ally sheet would over time aswell

please forgive me Im just learning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.