Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Harness Eyebolts
Mix

posted on 20/9/03 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Harness Eyebolts

Assuming they are correctly marked are there any problems using eyebolts to retain the shoulder straps of a four point harness ? I'm thinking SVA more than technical but all comments welcomed.

Mick

Sideways 2 Victory

posted on 20/9/03 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I do hope theyre ok Mix as this is the setup I have too.

Merlin Motorsports shortened 4x4 willans kit supplied with eyebolts and spreader plates. - I have to use eyebolts for the clip style top clasp on the shoulder straps.

ATB

Dave

www.nurburgring.org

Peteff

posted on 20/9/03 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
We took one with the Willans 4 point clip on and it passed at Derby.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

spy

posted on 21/9/03 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mix
Assuming they are correctly marked are there any problems using eyebolts to retain the shoulder straps of a four point harness ? I'm thinking SVA more than technical but all comments welcomed.

Mick

I don't think I've ever seen any harness eyebolts (even those supplied with harnesses) with any markings to indicate their strength.

kingr

posted on 28/9/03 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
As a related issue (sorry for the hijack mix!) how do you get the eye bolts to point in the right direction when tightened down? Do you have to shim them or what? Also, what are the spreader plate made of? Steel plate with a thread or something a little more sophisticated than that? I was thinking I would get 1" high 1" diameter columns machined up which I could weld into the normal place (mine is 2" wide).

Kingr

spy

posted on 29/9/03 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
The eyebolts must be FULLY tighten against a solid platform, so if your fixing through GRP for example you need to remove it from around the eye bolt before it is fastened in. The eyebolts should be 'pointing' in the right direction so you need to find a washer/shim that will set it correctly when it is fully screwed in.

The spreader plates from places like demon tweeks seem nothing more that a nut welded onto a piece of 3mm plate.

quote:
Originally posted by kingr
As a related issue (sorry for the hijack mix!) how do you get the eye bolts to point in the right direction when tightened down? Do you have to shim them or what? Also, what are the spreader plate made of? Steel plate with a thread or something a little more sophisticated than that? I was thinking I would get 1" high 1" diameter columns machined up which I could weld into the normal place (mine is 2" wide).

Kingr

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.