Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Triumph Dolomite Gauges
givemethebighammer

posted on 5/10/03 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Triumph Dolomite Gauges

Just got myself a cheap set of Triumph Dolomite Gauges(speedo, tacho, fuel, amps, temp, oil pressure. I have been told they should be easy enough to connect to a Ford engine. Anyone had any experience of this ? Doesn't matter if this is not possible they were cheap enough to move on to someone who may have a use for them.
chrisg

posted on 5/10/03 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using them mate, with a 2l pinto & Chevette petrol tank and sender,everything works

I had to take about 5mm off the collar on the cable that fits the back of the speedo

Feed for the tacho comes from the coil negative.

Didn't use the "segment" instrument

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 5/10/03 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Noodle

posted on 6/10/03 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
I used a set of Sprint gauges in a Morris Minor, including the 'segment'. The 'cheese-light''s pretty useful at getting your handbrake/indicators/high beam/oil pressure lights all neatly collected. Simple to wire as I remember too.

Cheers,

Neil.

givemethebighammer

posted on 6/10/03 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Chris did you use the triumph senders for the temp gauge etc ? or the standard Ford Ones

ps haven't taked close look at the cheese segment unit yet,is it really crap looking ?

chrisg

posted on 6/10/03 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I used the pinto sender and it sits in the middle of the guage, can't say how accurate it is but at least it moves up in traffic so it gives you some idea.

I seem to remember that the Triumph sender was an imperial thread and wouldn't fit, although you could make it fit, maybe a tapped hole in the block?

The cheese thing didn't suit my dash layout but it's not bad looking really.

The fuel sender came with the Chevette tank reads empty to full, can't do better than that, The other instrument I've got is a voltmeter, so no problem there.

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 6/10/03 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

givemethebighammer

posted on 6/10/03 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
thanks, I guess we try it and see

jury is still out on the cheese thing !

Forgot to ask did you connect the speedo up to your type 9 box with the ford cable or the triumph one ? How accurate is it ?. Are you using a standard type 9 box ? What is the ration of your diff and the diameter of your wheels / tyres.

sorry to sound like the Spanish Inquisition

[Edited on 6/10/03 by givemethebighammer]

chrisg

posted on 6/10/03 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, well you see the type nine is still in the corner of the garage, I've got the Cortina 4speed in at the moment,3.75 diff Capri Laser 13inch wheels with 185/70/13 tyres and the ford speedo cable.

In a non scientific test(following someone at 30, 40 ,50 etc) it over-reads by 9%

givemethebighammer

posted on 6/10/03 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
ahh so

On my standard type 9 box with 3.62 diff on 185/65/14 tyres

boll**ks I need to go and do the maths, is there anyone has a spreadsheet or nice little program to do this for me ?

However you did say reads over so Mr SVA should be happy

thanks Chris

chrisg

posted on 6/10/03 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
No problem mate.

I seem to remember someone posting a gear calc thing on TOL.

Cheers

Chris

JoelP

posted on 7/10/03 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
theres a thread on this in running gear at the mo...
SeaBass

posted on 10/10/03 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
There's another thread on this when I was trying to find info here.

Cheers

givemethebighammer

posted on 10/10/03 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
thanks
jonno

posted on 11/10/03 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Here a tip , take out sierra speedo & put it into dolomite speedo housing. Worked a treat in my car .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.