Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: turntables with usb
blakep82

posted on 20/6/09 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
turntables with usb

you lot seem to know everything, and i guess some folk have tried recording vinyl to the computer :p (me, i like dance music, i prefer playing vinyl!)

has anyone got a usb turntable? i've tried plugging mine into the usb on the computer, and it just doesn't find it. i've got a USB dj mixer and the computer finds that striaght away.

turntable is made by Jamm (whoever they are) Sony do an identical one.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Benzine

posted on 20/6/09 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
have you tried turning it on and off again?

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 20/6/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
yeah yeah, very good. it doesn't have any power switches though
laptop got a restart, didn't help. but thats 2 laptops i've tried on

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Benzine

posted on 20/6/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote

what OS are you running?

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 20/6/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
XP

Benzine

posted on 20/6/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Is it USB powered or have its own supply? What brand turntable is it? (got a link to it?) Were the other laptops you also tried it out on XP?

[Edited on 20/6/09 by Benzine]

blakep82

posted on 20/6/09 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
its got its own supply.
its made by Jamm (never heard of them before) but seems to be identical to a Sony one
link here http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR288953
can't find a manufacturers site
tried on one IBM laptop, and a lenovo one (essentially the same really)

i've got 2 technics turntables so i'm good but my dad wanted one to copy all his old vinyl.

Bob C

posted on 20/6/09 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
There was (or is) something like this on special offer at aldi around now. It was (or is) 30 or 50 quid - I'm sure someone knows better. Point is, there will be a few around in stores, maybe in the bargain bucket (further reduced) soon.....
blakep82

posted on 20/6/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
^ cheers, but i've already got one! just can't get it to work...
my dad says he's still happy enough with it though, and if he wanted to one day, i can give him my mixer to record a load over

speedyxjs

posted on 20/6/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Use a Cd or MP3 not that dated stuff

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

blakep82

posted on 20/6/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Use a Cd or MP3 not that dated stuff

don't start on dated cumbersome things!

ah, for DJing though, there's nothing like the feel of vinyl

[Edited on 20/6/09 by blakep82]

iank

posted on 20/6/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Did it come with a driver disk? Did you install the driver before plugging in the turntable?
Sometimes XP gets confused, thinks it knows what the device is and installs the wrong one which promptly gives up. Can be a PITA to remove again to get the right driver.

Go into the hardware menu when it's plugged in. You should be able to find the turntable under the USB tree. Click on it and check it's got a driver and what it is.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 20/6/09 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
it didn't come with any CDs or drivers or anything. if it works the same way as my mixer did (that had no drivers either) xp should automatically recognise it when its plugged in and install it as a 'USB generic soundcard' or 'USB audio codec' but it didn't do anything, not even recognise anything was plugged in

Staple balls

posted on 20/6/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Does it work on another computer? or in another set of USB ports (like, ones on the back if you've been using the front)

iank

posted on 20/6/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
If it doesn't need drivers (i.e. the XP drivers recognise it and can interoperate) and it hasn't appeared in the hardware USB tree then it has failed to enumerate correctly for some reason.

Possibly as simple as a broken cable, but maybe some other driver has bound to it incorrectly.

But you're really going to need a USB sniffer (I've not used a free software one - the company had expensive (£20,000) hardware ones for the work we were doing).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

givemethebighammer

posted on 20/6/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Without wanting to start a Windows / Linux war it may be worth downloading a Linux Live cd (Ubuntu good place to
start) and trying that.

Boot the laptop from CD with the usb turntable plugged in. If it detects it, it should show up in the gnome sound mixer / recorder apps.

If not typing 'dmesg' at the command prompt will give you a list of the hardware detected by the OS and any problems it has found with them.

good luck

blakep82

posted on 20/6/09 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys. i think there must be some fault with it really. the laptops i've been using don't seem to have a problem with anything else, but both can't find the turntable. i've either missed some setting on the TT ( theres only 1 switch on it, line or phono which is nothing to do with usb) or it doesn't work. tried different usb cables, tried all usb ports.

tegwin

posted on 20/6/09 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Is it possible that the USB circuitry inside the deck requires power from the laptop to opperate? (I know the turbtable has another supply ..)...

Some laptops simply dont have the beans to pump out enough power to start some devices.... My portable hard disk wont run on my laptop!

Get a powered USB hub... and see if the device works if its plugged throuh the hub

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

blakep82

posted on 20/6/09 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
ah, yeah, my old laptop can't power external hard disc, but this laptop i'm on now is like top spec, so the ports should definitely be up to it, but i'll see if my dads got a powered usb hub anywhere.
my old laptop flashes up with 'power surge' warnings if its not up to powering something though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.