Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Off on hols in a couples weeks and.....
Nash

posted on 14/7/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Off on hols in a couples weeks and.....

To the worldly wise personages on this site. I am off on my hols in a few weeks time and I'm looking for advice (sensible ) on things to do and things to avoid on the family trip to ..... Florida (Orlando).

........Discuss

Thanks.........Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

blakep82

posted on 14/7/09 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
def go to universal studios

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

austin man

posted on 14/7/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
firstly dont let the world know your going away most of us have balaclava's for genuine reasons there are those that have them for other reasons.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

eznfrank

posted on 14/7/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
For something a little different I'd thoroughly recommend the skyventure indoor skydiving wind tunnel - v.good
eznfrank

posted on 14/7/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
For something a little different I'd thoroughly recommend the skyventure indoor skydiving wind tunnel - v.good
gavin174

posted on 14/7/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
personally i would try very hard to avoid the americans..

normally really loud and annoying....

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

ReMan

posted on 14/7/09 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
DO go to Seaworld to see Shamu, awsome, and I don't do awesome
nitram38

posted on 14/7/09 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hot Air Balloon

Rek

posted on 15/7/09 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
Reig's Gunstore (orange blossom trail). take your drivers license (plus photo id) or passport and have a go with a glock and an uzi (dont bother with the .44 it's too much effort)... it's near a big mall so you can drop the missus off and go play...

[Edited on 15/7/09 by Rek]

coozer

posted on 15/7/09 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Avoid the $5 buffet breakfasts or you end up looking like an American

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

fesycresy

posted on 15/7/09 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Make sure you have a go on Mission Space in Epcot, me and my boy had 8 goes !

A Report !!!

I would avoid eating in the parks.

The evening before, I was putting squash in small bottles and freezing them. Stick them in a small back pack with the sarnies the moring before and they defrost through the day and keep the grub cool.

Eat out every night. Outback served some nice grub.

Take very little clothes, you will end up buying quite a bit. You may even buy another suit case.

Stay late in some parks for the fireworks.

Watch the roads when it rains, the drivers have difficulty coping in Florida when it happens. But they have the right idea when it comes to clearing the road, they just drag the cars off the road.

And the most important, sleep when you get home, do as much as you can

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

russbost

posted on 15/7/09 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
If you're going to the parks, when you arrive go straight to the opposite end of the park, while there are queues for rides near the entrance the other end of the park stays quiet for quite a while!
There's a meet for hotrods & tasty old yanks in downtown Orlando, think it's Friday night but might be Sat.
The Titanic museum was really interesting for a quieter afternoon.
Gatorland is pretty tacky, but fun for a half day.
If you possibly can, get to the Kennedy space centre - we did 2 days there, it's about an hours drive from Orlando & don't miss the Hall of Fame it's included on your ticket IIRC & a mile or 2 down the rod from the main space centre, some interesting "G force" type rides there.
On the way back to the airport we took an airboat ride around the swamps, that was absolutely fantastic, ours had a 500bhp v8 on the back & would turn on a sixpence!
Have fun!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
02GF74

posted on 15/7/09 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
DO go to Seaworld to see Shamu, awsome, and I don't do awesome

it's just a big fish.

locost way is to stick your face against a fish tank at maidebhead aquatics.

clbarclay

posted on 15/7/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
If you want a laugh at the american view of the world then go to Epcot centre. I went there on a school trip to florida a few years ago and we were laughing most of the way round it.

We also went to Kennedy space centre, universal studios, magic kingdom etc, sea world etc. It was a good holiday, but I would sooner do other stuff off the well beaton tourist track.

If you haven't been to america (or maybe it was just florida) before, beware of the prices. They didn't include tax in the advertised prices, unlike the UK where if VAT isn't included than that must be satated.

[Edited on 15/7/09 by clbarclay]

pif

posted on 15/7/09 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
depending on the age and / or interest of your children, you did say a family holiday, all the disney parks are good. Dont underestimate the size of them ( 40sq miles IIRC). lots of walking around even with the pretty good " walt disney transportation system". long days and late nights. As said earlier eating in the parks is expensive and no where near as good as eating out. loads of choice, if you just want quick and easy but not particulary healthy then pondorosa's are everywhere for cheap grub bufffet style.

we kept some food from supermarket in the room at the hotel and had a meal from that everyday, one light one out and a full meal a day out somewhere and that was more than enough.

highlights were fireworks at magic kingdom, test track ride, everest ride, NASA ( well worth a visit but not for young ones). daytona race way and then a trip to daytona beach for sunset was great ( be careful at daytona race way as once you've been as a petrol head on the tour thingy you WILL want to go back for the 500), the way the disney areas are managed and organised will make it a plesure all the time to be with them, all the interesting people with a similar agenda to you that you will meet.

we are going again this year to do some of the things we missed out last time.

hot air balloning
gun range type thing shoot em up!!!
cocoa beach
universal ( kids to young last time)
water parks ( no time last time)
swamp boat thing
coquina sands ( somebody reccomended it )

advice given is yours but any eceived too is appreciated

pif

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

fesycresy

posted on 15/7/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I want to go back now

Soarin is quite cool too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

greglogan

posted on 15/7/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not a big fan of telling you what you should and shouldn't do, but if I were going back (just there last year) here's one of each.

I would not go to Gatorworld - can't explain why, but something didn't feel right.

I would eat EVERY night in the Cheescake Factory - much, much, much more than cheescakes, but they're worth the visit. I'd get the cheescake to go and not spoil the main course.

Hope you enjoy as much as we did!

Greg.

PS I'd agree about the $5 breakfast buffets. Between them and the cheesecake factory, I put on just under a stone in 2 weeks. Oooops!

[Edited on 15/7/09 by greglogan]

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

Canada EH!

posted on 15/7/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you are into aircraft, on hwy 4 west of Orlando is a place called Fanasy of Flight, I have been there twice, set aside half a day. Aircraft from Wright flyer to WW 11, yes there is a Spitfire, and a Messerschmitt, and a Short Sunderland to name but a few.
pif

posted on 15/7/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
just seen there is a shuttle launch on aug 18th if you will be there then. got to be worth a look before they ground them all and hand it all over to the russians for a few years.

one going up when i am there

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

Canada EH!

posted on 15/7/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Almost forgot Old Town, in Kissimee, shopping mall set up like an old main street. One night a week they have a Hot Rod Cruise night, don't know about the summer, huge turnout in the winter. Walk around look at the cars, then about 9 PM they start them up and drive up through the main street, be prepared for sore eyes as those 400 plus cubes don't burn all the fuel at 10 mph.
Arnie

posted on 15/7/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just back from Florida (June). Bought an Orlando Flexticket Plus. Gives you unlimited access to all the major parks except Disney for 14 days. Can be used in Wet & Wild, Aquatica, Busch gardens, Islands of Adventure, Sea World, Universal Studios. You can vists different parks on the same day. Rememebr you have to pay $12 for parking but this is valid for the day at all the parks. Good value overall. You can buy it there and it saves having to carry it over.

When we were there Busch and Sea World were offerring to upgrade your day ticket to an annual pass (yes day ticket upgraded to an annual pass) at no extra cost. As far as I am aware there is no catch so might be worth checking this out to see if it is still available.

If you want something differnt try the NASCAR Rookie Experience (next to Magic Kingdom but run by Richard Petty). Full blown race car. Great experience.

Have a great time.

Regards,

Arnie

Meant to say worth going to the town of Celebration (just of the 192) Straight out of the Truman show. Even has a Wysteria Lane. There is a good place to eat down at the Lake cannot miss it.

[Edited on 15/7/09 by Arnie]

Nash

posted on 14/8/09 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
All,
I just got back from Florida this morning and just woke up after a night flight.

Thanks for all the advice of things to do we did a huge amount which included:

1. Flexi Tickets - Universal, Island of Adventure, Sea World, Wet & Wild

2. Daytona Beach (Petrolhead Nevana) Quad rental on the beach and cars driving upand down the sand. 93 Degrees and great bodyboard waves

3. Clearwater Beach which was better sand and surroundings (more Affluent) but the water was like an millpond and "less" fun.

4. Reig's Gunshop! Now this was a hoot!! My son and I shot Glock 9mm on the target range but ran out of time so missed out on AK47 and Uzi "practice"! This was a great heads up!!!

5. Missed out on the SkyDive Fan but it looks great as we passed it on the way to Universal.

We had a great time and we all agreed we would like to see more of America. To this end we are considering renting an RV and touring. Has anyone any experience of this type of holiday?

Thanks again to all who suggested things.

Regards..............Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.