Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ad pop up
Surrey Dave

posted on 18/3/04 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
Ad pop up

Help Please Boffins!!!

I have an annoying little pest in my computer that opens a pop up window when i open and close internet explorer, also some times changes home page to a gambling site.

I've run something called Ad Aware and it find all sorts of scary things but the pop up keeps coming .

got any ideas, last time i had something like this it was an active x thing!!

Is there any decent FREE software for sorting this , 'cos i'm tight that 's why i built a 'LOCOST'

Thanks

greggors84

posted on 18/3/04 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
ive got the google toolbar, i havent seen a pop up in ages. If you need pop ups on a certain page u can disable it for that page by a click of the button. It also has the advantage if being able to search things quickly. Go to google, and tools at the bottom.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

sgraber

posted on 18/3/04 at 03:57 AM Reply With Quote
There are a number of resident 'Spy-style' programs that attempt to pop-up windows like that. You may have inadvertently installed it when you installed a program like Kazaa or AudioGalaxy.

All hope is not lost however. Install and run a program named 'SpyBot Search and Destroy'. It is amazing. On top of finding all of those nasty programs that cause pop-ups, spy on you, log your keystrokes, it has a feature called 'Immunize' which will aslo block all sorts of 'tracking cookies'.

Almost 14 million downloads from Downloads.com - DOIT!!!

http://download.com.com/3000-8022-10194058.html?tag=lst-0-4

I find that the use of AdAware, SpybotS&D and Evidence Eliminator together keep my system running well. The Google toolbar is an amazing Must-Have tool that blocks pop-ups as well as any other I have tried and is free to boot.

Don't forget Antivirus - AVG Antivirus is world-class and it's free too!

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pbura

posted on 18/3/04 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
Another product that I recommend highly is Pest Patrol, which detects, cleans, and prevents worms and hijacking trojans, along with the spyware and adware. Well worth $40, IMO. They have a free online scan that identifies problems but does not fix them, which would be interesting to run after cleaning your computer with the free programs:

http://www.pestpatrol.com/

I also use Spybot, AdAware, and (free) Trend Micro virus scanner:

http://www.antivirus.com

Norton is overrated, IMO. I've seen some machines that were clogged with adware and hijacker junk, all the while running Norton.

Pete

Pete

Staple balls

posted on 18/3/04 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
hmmm

i wouldn't expect norton to keep spyware out, it's a virus scanner, not an antispyware app.

secondly, in my opionion AVG anti-virus isn't all that good, friends have got viruses while using it that it just hasn't picked up.

to some level, a software firewall may help, that way you can see and stop any traffic going to any dodgy apps/viruses....

but as i'm sure chrisW will appear and mention, most software firewalls make a fuss about a lot of unimportant stuff so you feel like they're doing a job

blueshift

posted on 18/3/04 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Staple balls
but as i'm sure chrisW will appear and mention, most software firewalls make a fuss about a lot of unimportant stuff so you feel like they're doing a job

I know you may be intententionally simplifying, but with software firewalls it's more the case that they aren't smart enough to tell what is an attack and what's harmless / a mistake / something you intended, so they tend to veer on the side of paranoia (and so they should).

The problem is that software firewalls don't include an intelligent human network administrator in the box, and if the user doesn't take the time to understand how it works and how to set it up (which to understand completely means learning beyond degree-level computer networking theory and experience) you're always going to have this kind of problem.

Many people install them and forget about them as some kind of placebo.

Dunno why I felt the need to go on a ramble about software firewalls there.. ho hum.

For those interested, I'm a FreeBSD (UNIX) administrator and do my firewalling on that.

[Edited on 18/3/04 by blueshift]

Staple balls

posted on 18/3/04 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
yeah

i'm simplifying quite a lot.

as for the *nix firewall box, i think in 90% of locosters cases, that'd be a leedle overkill, myself, i just don't get on with *nix, i have basic understanding, but not a fan

but something like sygate personal firewall is free, and i've found it to be very good for a free software firewall (this box is sitting out in the DMZ for ease of stuff)

David Jenkins

posted on 18/3/04 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
You could try a different browser, as non-MicroSnot ones usually allow you to control pop-ups.

For a start, you could try Opera or Mozilla - both are free (the free Opera has ads in a little window in the top banner, but you can ignore them). Both work in a similar way to IE, but are often faster in operation.

I use Mozilla exclusively now, mostly because I use Win 2000 at work and Linux at home, and Mozilla works identically on both. I only use IE to access sites where the authors are too lazy to write for all browsers (not that many cases).

rgds,

David

JoelP

posted on 18/3/04 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
secondly, in my opionion AVG anti-virus isn't all that good, friends have got viruses while using it that it just hasn't picked up.

i agree there, though its a nice free program its never found anything on my computer - literally, nothing at all! StopScan seems good at finding adware and spywares but doesnt help you remove them unless you subscribe. just gives a list of files, which can be hard to find sometimes.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Peteff

posted on 18/3/04 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
What OS are you using and have you got all your updates installed? There is a program called Shoot the Messenger that closes a port left open by MSN for their own purposes which is used to open popups. Google it, it might help. I use AVG and it picked up 3 infections last week. If you update it regularly it is good. I have received several updates in one day sometimes.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Staple balls

posted on 18/3/04 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
there's an easy cure for spyware

don't install sh!te on your puter

believe it or not, it tends to work quite well, adaware only tends to pick up cookies.

pbura

posted on 18/3/04 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i wouldn't expect norton to keep spyware out, it's a virus scanner, not an antispyware app.

Didn't say that it was, but I should have qualified my statement better. I meant that you can have your computer hijacked, or at least your browser, right under Norton's nose and have your computer seriously degraded.

To be fair to Symantec, they have other applications for computer security, adware, malicious scripts, etc., that I am sure are excellent if a bit pricey.

Speaking of free tools, they have a system security check that is tops. I ran it and found I had an open port on my machine:

http://www.symantec.com/

As you said, not installing crap is best. Not opening e-mail attachments automatically, displaying file name extensions, closing popups from the task bar (not clicking anywhere on the popup), etc.

Pete

flak monkey

posted on 18/3/04 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I run McAfee Internet Security and it blocks all my pop ups (sometimes too well) it allows you to block indirect cookies, it kills web bugs yadd yadder. All the stuff others claim to do but dont. I havent had any trouble at all. It always picks up viruses, trojans and worms no problem. And will usually delete them. If it wont it will help you delete them manually.

On top of that it automatically clears all the temporary internet files from non bookmarked internet sites when i close IE. And it has a handy file shredder to securly delete personal files.

It'll cost you £50 ish and something like £10 a year to get unlimited updates. IN all i think its well worth investing in.

As for the problem Surrey Dave has, i had that for a while, it was a trojan from the exploitbyte-verify family. There are loads of them. But your virus scanner should pick it up. McAfee did, but you will have to manually reset you homepage, and may need some manual removal. See;

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100261

Im not saying that is the problem, but thats what it was when my computer did that.

Cheers
David

The pic below is the 2 views of my Browser Buddie which is part of McAfee Net Security, allows you to quickly allow or disallow popups and cookes.... Rescued attachment browser bud.jpg
Rescued attachment browser bud.jpg

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

JoelP

posted on 18/3/04 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
cheers pete, i ran that check and apparently i have more open backdoors then a gay bar on friday night (their words not mine).

anyone know about a good personal fire wall? i though i had my windows one sorted but musta got confused...

flak monkey

posted on 18/3/04 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
McAfee is a great firewall....its part of the Internet Security package. It sits there and only makes a fuss when it need to. it automatically blocks certain communications, and lets you add programs to a safe list. It also logs firewall violations.

I am on a network of approaching 6000 computers and have a permanent internet connection at about 2mb/sec and have had so few attempted hacks, all of which have failed. Which is reassuring

If you really care loads the best thing is a hardware firewall, so much better than a software one.

I have heard little positive about Norton (Symantec is the same complany) infact i tried it and it was totally shyte, not a patch on McAfee. IMHO.

BTW the windows firewall is crap....

Cheers
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Staple balls

posted on 18/3/04 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
i swear by sygate personal fire www.sygate.com

Surrey Dave

posted on 18/3/04 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Have Run AdAware, Search and Destroy, deleted cookies, blocked cookie from the site i suspect (www.undergroundlair.net) something to do with Underground Games.

The window still opens after closing I.E. , is it a Trojan ? , whats good for finding these?
I'm getting Obsessed now!!!

Boffins Alert..................

Staple balls

posted on 18/3/04 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
what's your homepage

when you open IE?

and have you tried a virus scan?

[Edited on 18/3/04 by Staple balls]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/3/04 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I tried the anti spyware thing suggested in the first post. It found soem cookies and stuff.

However, it didnt fix a problem I have on a pc at work.

About once a day, the homepage gets changed to some bloody search engine called ccsearch or summat.

Anyone got a clue how I stop whatever it is from changing my IE homepage to this sodding thing?

atb

steve

Peteff

posted on 18/3/04 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
That is a malware symptom. The item puts an entry into your registry to trigger the page change. You can run a registy check if you change the settings in adaware to do so. It does a registry scan and a deep scan, but watch what you delete as you can cause problems. I use Spybot as well, another good free program which doesn't concentrate so much on cookies.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 18/3/04 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
And it has a handy file shredder to securly delete personal files.

my brothers mad about all that sort of stuff, he has stupidly complex encription programs and stuff that overrights deleted stuff 20 times to prevent it being seen be experts....

makes me wonder what he's up to!!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/3/04 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
That is a malware symptom. The item puts an entry into your registry to trigger the page change. You can run a registy check if you change the settings in adaware to do so. It does a registry scan and a deep scan, but watch what you delete as you can cause problems. I use Spybot as well, another good free program which doesn't concentrate so much on cookies.

thx

will take a look at that tomorrow!

Surrey Dave

posted on 19/3/04 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
My homepage is: freeserve.

And no I haven't tried an antivirus yet.

But I can delete files in Adaware or Spybot and the ad window still opens when I close I.E.

Could it be I need one of these programs that changes my id numbers to stop the ad site locking on to me?

Failing that a ****ing great mallet would do the trick.

The Internet is fantastic , but like most things we have twats outs there!!!!!!

Hellfire

posted on 19/3/04 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
Shame...

as an auto install or overwriter don't these STUPID people realise that you actually use the hijacking pop-up LESS. Then you try your damnedest to be rid of it - vowing nver again to darken your door (even your back one!)

I am considering re-formatting my drive simly to be rid of all the SH*TE!

pbura

posted on 19/3/04 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
Browser hijackers

A nice little utility for killing off the type of hijackers reported by Steve G. and Surrey Dave is HijackThis, a free program available here:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Warning: This program lists ALL your start-up process, good and bad, so if in doubt as to what to delete, DON'T.

The malware usually appears as a BHO (browser helper object). Sometimes the BHO will be reinstalled at each system startup with a 'Run' command. These programs can be hard to spot, with names resembling Windows utilities.

If you guys would like, you can save the log and paste it here. Surely someone will be able to help.

Pete

Pete

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.