Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what are robin hoods like
tjoh84

posted on 31/7/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
what are robin hoods like

hi all im looking at a robin hood i have heard the not nice to build b4 but what they like once done any one here running pref with pinto i had a xfow locost b4 which i had converted to bec but i want a cec this time. they seem to be a good price to
tomgregory2000

posted on 31/7/09 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
i heard thay are basic and rubbish

edit im drunk

[Edited on 31/7/09 by tomgregory2000]

tjoh84

posted on 31/7/09 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
got to be better than a locost by that i mean one like i had not a race spec one. i mean one built in a garage by some who doing for fun rather than knows how to weld and jig it all right.

[Edited on 093131p://5723 by tjoh84]

mookaloid

posted on 31/7/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
The main problem with them is that they are quite heavy.

If you just want a comfy open top tourer and you are happy with it just being a bit faster than most regular cars then why not - they are quite cheap.

If you want a track tool then look elsewhere .......

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

tjoh84

posted on 31/7/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
poss odd track day but more road use
cryoman1965

posted on 31/7/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with mookaloid re heavyer than most others. If you are having a seriously look at them look for the 2b plus. This has double front wishbones at the front as apposed to macpherson struts which are poo. For an opinion from the owners themselves post one rhocar for their views.

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?act=idx

As in life you get what you pay for. They are comfy tourers but not overly fast off the mark.

Good luck

Nige

[Edited on 31/7/09 by cryoman1965]

miikae

posted on 31/7/09 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
As already mentioned the 2B is a heavy tourer, the latest Zero is lighter and maybe ok on the track, mine is one of the first Sierra based monoque chassis and was built to race in hill climbing events.

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tjoh84

posted on 31/7/09 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
sorry dont get wish bone bit how caan i tell from a pic
miikae

posted on 31/7/09 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
The front shocks will be at approx 60degree angle , the sliding pillocks are almost vertical , hope that helps.

Have a look Here under model identification .

Mike

[Edited on 31-7-2009 by miikae]

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stuart_g

posted on 31/7/09 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
From personal experience, I wouldn't touch another. Nothing fits as it should and everything will be modified to sort of fit. The 2b chassis is made of heavy not very good grade stainless steel and weighs more than titanic. It also uses the whole rear sub frame from the sierra which also weighs half of titanic and that is why there is a bulge infront of the rear arches as the sub frame is wider than the car.
Keep your money in your pocket and look for something better with independant double wishbone suspension allround, don't buy it just because the price is right you'll spend more on it putting it right/changing everything than if you bought a better car in the first place.

My 2p worth.

Volvorsport

posted on 31/7/09 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
dont bother .

your money is better spent elsewhere

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

skippad

posted on 31/7/09 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
the shiteiest of shite
beeen there done it could'nt do a thingwithit

blakep82

posted on 1/8/09 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
only one way to find out for yourself

but i wouldn't. i've bought stuff from them before. not the best quality i'd seen

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Black Eagle

posted on 1/8/09 at 05:06 AM Reply With Quote
The new Zero looks to be a different story to their previous (and average/rubbish) models. It seems to be almost a clone of the Haynes roadster. The kits also come with a fair bit of actual kit as well, pedal box, rack, wishbones, etc as compared to other kits I've seen at equivalent prices (particularly in Australia). Please correct me if i'm wrong as I'm looking at buying one for rego here in OZ!
Cheers
Eddy

DRC INDY 7

posted on 1/8/09 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Scrap yard kits don't waste money you will regret it

I DID

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

foes

posted on 1/8/09 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skippad
the shiteiest of shite
beeen there done it could'nt do a thingwithit

You should of tried this....

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Can't rememebr now why i chopped the front end off to get the engine and box out now, i remember enjoying it tho, must of been easiest at the time

The chasis is a very very poor grade of stainless, if stainless at all.
It used the sierra front suspension and the full rear subframe.
They're ideal if you want a heavy, flexible, not very well engineered road car.
Personally i'd never have one (this one was a friends part built that we broke for spares).

Apologies if i've upset/offended any robin hood owners

PAULD

posted on 1/8/09 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Robin Hoods

Come to an SG7 do at Baldock (not far from you) The club is based on a Robin Hood area group. They are very friendly and would show you around theirs. Alternatively a Robin Hood group meets at Tilbrook near Kimbolton.
flak monkey

posted on 1/8/09 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
They are heavy due to reasons already mentioned. But they are comfier than most other sevens, if you are bothered about that, but you pay for it in the handling dept.

You can make them look nice but they take a lot of work to get them to what is in my opinion a presentable state. I have seen some good ones and some awful ones. Most are decidedly average.

The Zero is much better, though there are a few flaws in the chassis and suspension design. Though most people probably wouldnt push hard enough to find them.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

lotusmadandy

posted on 1/8/09 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
My mate Dave Built a 2b and it was horrible to do.nothing fits and i had to do a lot of welding on critical items like the steering column mountings ,pedal box and wishbone mounts.Having said that after a lot of hard graft it is a very presentable looking car,though it does look a bit out of proportion to the classic 7 shape.
personaly i wouldnt touch one but each to there own.

Andy

richardh

posted on 1/8/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
been there and done that
never again, awful, hateful, despicable things.

save your money or go to vegas and blow the lot - you'd have more fun!

Time for a change!

tonym

posted on 1/8/09 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
As with all kit cars a lot is down to the builder. A good builder can make a good car out of a bad kit by putting in the time to iron out the problems. A bad builder can ruin a good kit.
Stott

posted on 1/8/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Don't bother if you can afford more, agree with the above though. I'm treating mine as a load of metal that I have to design and build a car out of, because that's honestly what its like. NOTHING fits or works well, if at all, bloody terrible.

I have one similar to the cut up one a few posts ago ^^, its getting there now, with redesigned rocker arms to take real shocks, tie rods, new bulkhead and braking arrangement, etc etc, I mean it uses the front arb from a sierra FFS, that's about 109729477493KG on its own.

It'll never be an indy etc but it will look cool and be leagues ahead of tin tops in the fun stakes so I guess that'll do me.....

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 1/8/09 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry but i rather like mine!!

Though i cheated and bought it part built after Stuart_g on here did all the hard work :-)

740kg total at SVA.

Not the best handling and not a rocket ship but fine and comfy for touring, which was why i wanted it as the Indy blade was a nightmare for day 2 day use. And it has a hood and screen which are very handy for Scotland's weather!

Edit to say it cost half what my Indy cost to build, but then its probably worth half if i sold it now!

[Edited on 1/8/09 by scotlad]

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.