Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stamping VIN Number
bigpig

posted on 3/8/09 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Stamping VIN Number

I decided to call VOSA to confirm where you can stamp the VIN number. Very helpful bunch they are.

What they confirmed is that even if your ally floor plate is bonded in as well as riveted, stamping the floor plate will not suffice, they look for it being on part of the space frame.

He did say "any where on the right hand side that you can see without being a contortionist". I asked about the plate which the steering rack bolts too as that is quite thick and that is fine according to him as long as its on the right side of it.

spdpug98

posted on 3/8/09 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigpig
I decided to call VOSA to confirm where you can stamp the VIN number. Very helpful bunch they are.

What they confirmed is that even if your ally floor plate is bonded in as well as riveted, stamping the floor plate will not suffice, they look for it being on part of the space frame.

He did say "any where on the right hand side that you can see without being a contortionist". I asked about the plate which the steering rack bolts too as that is quite thick and that is fine according to him as long as its on the right side of it.

I have mine stamped on the floor in front of the drivers seat and a chassis plate on the bulkhead and they where fine for my inspection, which was only a few weeks ago....or has it changed recently

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

marshall

posted on 3/8/09 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
my vin number had to be stamped on the top side rail were the bonnet sits on. driver side.
mad-butcher

posted on 3/8/09 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Here's were things can get complicated, Chester DVLA wanted it stamped/engraved twice once in engine bay once in driver/passenger compartment.
good excuse to buy a dremmel
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jpindy3

posted on 3/8/09 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
i have not long ago done all this and i had put 2 sets of numbers,one on a chassis rail two on a peace off ally i put the make of the car and the vin number and i used some dubble sided tape and stuck it on another chassis rail in the engine bay.
you can put where ever you like,you just need to tell them where it is,when you do the paper work.

[Edited on 3/8/09 by jpindy3]

foes

posted on 3/8/09 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Mines stamped on an ali plate rivetted to bulkhead, registered at notts dvla no probs.

PeteS2k

posted on 4/8/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Bear in mind, things have changed with the IVA...

Section 18 Statutory Plates
Required Standard
1. The vehicle must be fitted with a manufacturer’s plate, in a conspicuous and readily accessible position.
2. The manufacturer’s plate must be made of a durable material.
3. The manufacturer’s plate must be indelibly marked with the manufacturer’s name and the vehicle identification number.
4. The manufacturer’s plate must be fitted to a part of the vehicle that will not be replaced through normal use.
5. The Stamped in VIN must be marked on the chassis, frame or other similar structure which is not easily removable, on the right hand side of the vehicle. (see note 5 & 6)
6. The Stamped in VIN must be placed in a clearly visible and accessible position by a method such as stamping, etching (metal chassis) or embossed, moulded into the structure (glass fibre or carbon fibre chassis) so that it can not be obliterated or deteriorate.
7. The VIN number must consist of 17 digits (except for mass-produced vehicles see note 4)
8. The information must be shown in a single line. (in the case of a mass produced vehicle the use of two lines is permissible)
9. Capital letters and numerals must be used for the manufacturer’s name and VIN
10. There must not be any gaps large enough to insert extra characters between the characters for the VIN shown on the manufacturer’s plate or stamped into the vehicle.
11. Other than in the case of a Mass Produced vehicle the characters on the manufacturer’s plate must be at least 3.5mm high.
12. The characters used for the VIN stamped into the chassis, frame or other similar structure must be at least 3.5mm high.

There are some notes and exemptions for mass produced imports.

Of course, they changed the size in the latest version to 3.5+ mm AFTER I'd tracked down 8mm stamps to put the left-side mark on my pre-SVA chassis...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.