Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Finished my riveted fuel tank.
thekafer

posted on 7/4/04 at 03:45 AM Reply With Quote
Finished my riveted fuel tank.

I know what your thinking and a riveted fuel cell wont leak,trust me. They are fabbed this way in many aircraft.
Heres a pic of it. I will test it for leaks with the manometer we have at work.

Cheers, Fletch.

Oh, They'er solid ali rivets...

[Edited on 7/4/04 by thekafer] Rescued attachment riveted tank.JPG
Rescued attachment riveted tank.JPG

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

nicklondon

posted on 7/4/04 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
nice tank but what is the thing in the background of your pic?
Staple balls

posted on 7/4/04 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
very nice tank.

quote:

nice tank but what is the thing in the background of your pic?

i dunno, but i'd say someone actually used the plans out of the book without sorthing the mistakes

gjn200

posted on 7/4/04 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Helicopters

<- Me!

pbura

posted on 7/4/04 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Very impressive

Is doing this within the capabilities of the average home builder? I'd love to have an ali tank.

Would there be any point to posting a little tutorial?

Probably a blue-ribbon dumb-ass question: You said that it's a fuel cell, so what are you going to do for a liner, baffles, filler, etc.?

Pete

Pete

Martin Sports Car

posted on 7/4/04 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Nice
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 7/4/04 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
It looks great.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thekafer

posted on 7/4/04 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry I said fuel cell out of habit. It was shot together "wet" with a mil-spec fuel cell sealant known affectionately to aircraft mechanics as Proseal (prostink). I just fabbed the parts as if I were going to weld it and shot it together (riveting is more in my comfort zone). This turns out to be the same method of construction as a "wet wing" on aircraft. Steel would work just as well and would be easier to form the end pieces and baffles.Use monel rivets instead.Pete, the baffles are formed on the same form block as the end pieces.I just cut the corners out of them to let fuel pass.I got the design off Mike Polans web site.

That an EC-135 helicopter in the background made by Eurocopter....

On to the floor!......
Cheers Fletch.

[Edited on 7/4/04 by thekafer]

elitewiring

posted on 8/4/04 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
fuel cells made in this way do leak on aircraft, more due to flex in the wings, i dont think your cell will leak as its in a car and so much smaller.
was there a reason for using proseal, why not us a regular a/c sealant like 1422 b2.
thats what we us on the c130's i work on.
(although i dont surpose your paying for it!!!)

[Edited on 8/4/04 by elitewiring]

thekafer

posted on 8/4/04 at 01:48 AM Reply With Quote
I used AMS-S-8802A B2 because it was free(out of legal date). 1422 b2 is a hightemp fuel sealant used in fire-wall and engine deck areas is'nt it? We use very little of it anyway so not enough of the stuff around to go legal date on us.
If I remember its brown and possibly the only thing that smells worse than proseal..
Cessnas,Beeches ect.. G/A Private planes that use gasoline typically dont leak which what I was refering to. But your right,C130's ,141's, C5's all leak simply out of spite I think
Fletch

elitewiring

posted on 8/4/04 at 03:21 AM Reply With Quote
im not familiar with your ams number, but we use 1422 as a general sealant, the only proseal we have used is proseal 800 which we use for high temp sealing on electrical pressure bungs on engine firewalls. this is a very nasty type of sealant, 1422 fairly ok.
anyway this is getting really sad, i feel like im taking about work all the time.
good luck with you fuel cell.

tractorboy

posted on 8/4/04 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote
elite wiring you really should get out more!!!!!! (by the way its ps700 on the fire walls)
Peteff

posted on 8/4/04 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
If I remember its brown and possibly the only thing that smells worse than proseal

To bring this topic back to a more normal level (basic toilet level) can we put a warning in about using brown smelly stuff to seal tanks.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DaveFJ

posted on 13/4/04 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm PRC 1422.... fantastic stuff - you could use it to stick bridges together.......

Oh yes and the heavy fumes are great when your working on your back under a fuselage applying it as a sealant.........

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 13/4/04 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
You lads sound like you could start assembling robin hood / lolocosts new rivited car (Bolteon) it would then qualify for the low flying title.

any one got any ABE 320 epoxy.....stick like s***T to an army blanket...

merkurman

posted on 30/4/04 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
I was wondering if one coule pop rivet a tank and seal the rivets with some epoxy on the outside then seal the inside with a regular automotive tank sealer? looking for ways to fab a tank with ease.

(looking into a monocoupe for the next FSAE car)

Nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

thekafer

posted on 1/5/04 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by merkurman
I was wondering if one coule pop rivet a tank and seal the rivets with some epoxy on the outside then seal the inside with a regular automotive tank sealer? looking for ways to fab a tank with ease...."

Some "wet wings" are pop riveted(in places) with Cherry Max rivets and sealed from inside, but check on Cherry Max prices and you'll know why we are building 7's and not 172's. My tank was shot together w/ms20470ad4-3 solid rivets (about 200 or .50 cents worth) and $16.00 worth of aluminum. I'm going to build one for a guy building a bec as soon as he settles on some dimensions. If you get someone to help you shoot'em, you should have no trouble.

good luck! Fletch

[Edited on 1/5/04 by thekafer]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.