Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help understanding loom diagrams
scoobyis2cool

posted on 15/4/04 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Help understanding loom diagrams

I'm just about to start my wiring but I can't figure out the diagrams that came with my loom (MK pinto loom). The diagrams tell you what component the wires connect to and the colour of the wires but it doesnt say exactly how the wires hook up, e.g. it shows 3 wires going to the indicator switch but it doesnt give any more info, so how do I figure out what wires to attach to where?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete

[Edited on 15/4/04 by scoobyis2cool]

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
elitewiring

posted on 15/4/04 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
is it a written instruction sheet or a circuit diagram???
i think what you mean is that it doesnt tell you which terminal on the item (ie indicator switch) the wires connect to.
does it tell you the function of each wire (ie. switch supply/common/input and output to left indicator etc), if it does you will need to use a multimeter and check each item to work it out yourself. if it doesnt tell you the function or which terminal to connect to, i would have to suggest you contact the company and ask for the required info or return it and get your money back.

Fifer

posted on 15/4/04 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
This is a subject near to my heart recently from two angles. One is MK (which I'm not going into again), the other is wiring looms.
Elite is right, if it doesnt have enough info with it, send the bugger back or get the supplier to tell you which wires go where.
That said, you will need to figure some of the connections out for yourself due to the various options on switches etc that you may have used.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 15/4/04 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Well I'm no expert on wiring but from what I can see it doesn't give enough info. I have 2 sheets with the loom, one is a pretty clear diagram of which wires connect to which component, but it doesn't say which terminal each wire connects to. The other diagram is a more 'technical' one, with proper wiring symbols, but again I don't think it contains enough information. Looks like I might have to give MK a ring, unless anyone else has battled with this loom and won?

Pete

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DEAN C.

posted on 17/4/04 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I think you really need to work in conjunction with the Sierra manual wiring diagram by the sound of it.
I've made my own loom from sratch,but I do wiring on vehicles as part of my job.
The diagram should say to which colour you should connect,if it doesn't then you'll have to have a word with MK or work through the sierra wiring colours from the manual.
If you get stuck on any bits I'm sure a few of us on here can talk you through as the wiring is fairly straight forward.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Hellfire

posted on 17/4/04 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
As Dean says really... I built my loom from scratch using both the 'blade manual and the Sierra manual. It's not easy when buying a loom as IMHO the end user is normally an electrician. As with any electrical equipment the manufacturer usually places the disclaimer that 'should be fitted by a qualified electrician.'
As a non-qualified electrician, it's just a case of sitting down for a couple of nights with a paper and pen and deciding where to start, I suggest the ignition is a good place. Work logically and it should work out ok.
If in doubt ask...

scoobyis2cool

posted on 18/4/04 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice, I spent an hour or so going through the wiring diagrams today and I THINK I've sorted most of it out, there are still a couple of issues such as the ignition unit (has 5 wires on the loom diagram but only 3 in the Sierra manual!), but hopefully I'll be able to sort them out without too much hassle

Pete

bonerp

posted on 19/4/04 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
On my (tiger) loom re the sierra ecu connections, there were a couple of wires that were cut / blocked off depending on your particular module. There are something like 3 variations of the ecu and wiring is different for each.

If you have a look at the Tiger owners site on yahoo theres a thread on the subject now and loadsa info in the files section.

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.