Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: my first set of electrics q's
cd.thomson

posted on 14/12/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
my first set of electrics q's

1. someone linked me some smiths guage wiring diagrams the other day but i cant find the link or the original thread. Does anyone have diagrams for modern smiths tacho and electronic speedo?

2. I've found some basic wiring diagrams for setting up the engine but does anyone know how to wire up the XE altenator?

3. whats the minimum of wiring I need to get the engine going factoring out EDIS (I'm happy with the comprehensive wiring diagrams available) - e.g. can I start the engine without a charge warning light?

4. is wiring as difficult as I think its going to be?

Ta as always!

[Edited on 14/12/09 by cd.thomson]

[Edited on 14/12/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

blakep82

posted on 14/12/09 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
diagrams are on here i think http://www.caigauge.com/page39.html

i ran my engine off of the battery (no alternator) i don't think you need the warning light to run it, but i think you do need it for IVA

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cd.thomson

posted on 14/12/09 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
book marked, cheers blake!

you just wired the ignition switch, starter and battery together then (+ EDIS + fuel pump)?

Craig

blakep82

posted on 14/12/09 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
basically yeah. i know someone locally who has set up his own business making custom wiring looms, i'm going to have him do mine.
but yeah, i just put edis, coil pack, and stater button to the solenoid right to the battery. no fuel pump, i just filled the carbs with fuel and ran it til ran out lol

i'll get it done proper once all other electrical items are worked out

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Findlay234

posted on 14/12/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
4. Its not difficult as long as you have some limited knowledge of how its meant to work in the first place and you work through it methodically. I created a wiring diagram by copying from haynes manuals and then slowely built it up marking the colours of the wires onto the wiring diagram. Once i was happy id finished i went through every single wire with a multimeter and checked that everything connected up as my diagram said. again ticking each one off as I went. The built the rest of the car without taping the loom up fully. This meant I could get to a point where I could test the engine running and test all electrics before taping it up. It didnt actually help that I used the toyota ECU and fuse blocks. I think starting from scratch would have been easier....

Just be patient and VERY methodical....

Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.