Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brake bleeding
blakep82

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
brake bleeding

never really given the process much thought, but saw in halfords the other week, a one way valve thngy in the bike section. you unscrew the bleed screw, attach the valve with plastic pipe, and pump the brakes until fluid comes out (but it won't go back because of the valve)

its probably a well known way to do it, buti've never seen this for a car before. seems like the easiest way to do it. the bike one is quite expensive and you only get 1 valve.

any similar car kits anywhere? or a similar 1 way valve whicxh could be used? thinking about £10 for 4 valves? or even 2 valves

[Edited on 14/12/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

clairetoo

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I do it the locost way - just plug the end of the pipe , and put a small cut along it , pressure will open the slit but vacuum will close it .
Cost for 4 ? Just four lengths of tube............

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Danozeman

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
You can do it with a screw in the end of a bit of washer pipe with a slit in it. works the same and much cheapness.

[Edited on 14/12/09 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

blakep82

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
ah cool ^
hadn't thought of something like that

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Peteff

posted on 14/12/09 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Put some fluid in a jar and find something to hang it on then put the slit end of your bleed tube in the fluid so you can see the bubbles and it can only draw fluid back in not air. The pipe has to be rubber, plastic will not close back up tight enough.

[Edited on 14/12/09 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

dhutch

posted on 15/12/09 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
You can still end up with some air geting back in tho the threads of the bleed nipple too ive heard.
- I dont know, although for £12 with a tradecard you can get the bleed kit the presurises the header with the presure of a spare tyre and pushes the fluid through. Works a treat for me.

I do like the plugged and cut pipe idea tho. Very neet.

Daniel

02GF74

posted on 15/12/09 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Save your £ 10 and spend it on ciggies and beer.

Make your own one way valve, either as above, or more fancy version solder up one end of a short length of brake pipe with a hole in the side. Fit on end of a plastic hose and slip a short length of hose over the hole.

t16turbotone

posted on 15/12/09 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
i always let gravitiy do the work, just open the nipples and wait, as long as the master cylinder is at highest point it will come through nicely
britishtrident

posted on 15/12/09 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t16turbotone
i always let gravitiy do the work, just open the nipples and wait, as long as the master cylinder is at highest point it will come through nicely

Simply not true.

britishtrident

posted on 15/12/09 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
One way valves can cause more problems than they solve particularly with some makes of mastercylinder.

For occaisional DIYer working alone the Eezibleed is the most cost effective solution.

However even using the Eezibleed the peddle should be give a couple of pumps to clear trapped air from the master cylinder.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Findlay234

posted on 15/12/09 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Again... agreed with britishtrident....

The pressure bleed kit is definately the easiest method to use. If im starting from scratch with a new system ill use the one way valve to start it off and fill the mcyl with a few pumps and use the easy bleed to quickly bleed from there. Then for each subsequent bleed of fresh fluid when you service the car you can just use the easybleed for a 5min job.

Tried the split tube method and it does work but no where near as well as a 5 quid proper valve that I got. The one ive got is almost as easy to do as the easy bleed... just a bit more walking around the car.

boggle

posted on 15/12/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
i use the easy bleed...its great for checking all your other brake components whilst the system is under preasure..

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.