Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: supercharged rx8 kit
thekafer

posted on 19/4/04 at 03:24 AM Reply With Quote
supercharged rx8 kit

Rotary news is reporting a supercharger kit for the rx8 renesis engine. No specs, manufacturer....anyone know anything about it? Has the rx8 been released over there yet?

just dreaming, Fletch.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

mackie

posted on 19/4/04 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
It has been released but I know not of any supercharger kit, although I have heard from various people that various kits are in the pipeline.
Mark18

posted on 19/4/04 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have heard rumours that the rx8 transmission is prone to failure under more torque.

Mark

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thekafer

posted on 19/4/04 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Same tranny that was in the Gen3 rx7's.
They seem up to the task. Is'nt this the same tranny as the Miatas? The RX8 is a cool car (and rwd the way god intended cars) but there is no "knuckle buster" info on it yet. Rotary news also said that the engines weight was 171lbs wet! Can this be right?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

JamJah

posted on 20/4/04 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Had a quote from mazada. They were basically saying that as its a new car they dont wanna push the engines into other manufacturers (although half their advertising is on the engine!). They therefore wanted £12k for an engine inc shipping to UK from the far east. Not too bad when you think the RX8 is £21k+ but I think if I had that much money Id just buy the RX8!
derf

posted on 20/4/04 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ive heard of an rx8turbo charger, but it is aftermarket, possibly made by one of the US/Japan based turbo companies, greddy comes to mind first. I also saw a turbocharged, hydrogen powered rx8 on sunday at the NY auto show. It was a mazda "concept car", but the mazda rep I talked to said that the car was up and runnng, and would "knock the socks off the competition".
greggors84

posted on 21/4/04 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I heard Mazda tell you to top up the oil every other time you fill it up with fuel. Could be a bit annoying!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Noodle

posted on 21/4/04 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
I heard Mazda tell you to top up the oil every other time you fill it up with fuel. Could be a bit annoying!

Ditto Honda's S2000. Warrantly claims have been disputed because of this.

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

derf

posted on 21/4/04 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
You dont have to top up the oil every time you fill the tank, but I believe that the official mazda recomendation is 1/2 a quart every 1000 miles, which from my experience has been a little overstated, the older 12a rotary that I used to have used about 1/2 a quart every 2000 miles. It's just an inherant design flaw of the rotary, you cant completely seal the combustion chamber.
Mark18

posted on 21/4/04 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thekafer
They seem up to the task. Is'nt this the same tranny as the Miatas? The RX8 is a cool car (and rwd the way god intended cars) but there is no "knuckle buster" info on it yet. Rotary news also said that the engines weight was 171lbs wet! Can this be right?

Didn't know it was the same tranny as the rx-7, if so, I'm sure the rumuors I heard are unfounded.

About the weight of the engine, not sure about the new Renesis, but was considering using rotary power until I discovered that aside from there being no rx-7's in Ireland, the old 13b rotary engines were a lot heavier than I expected.

Mark

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Noodle

posted on 21/4/04 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark18
quote:
Originally posted by thekafer

Didn't know it was the same tranny as the rx-7, if so, I'm sure the rumuors I heard are unfounded.

About the weight of the engine, not sure about the new Renesis, but was considering using rotary power until I discovered that aside from there being no rx-7's in Ireland, the old 13b rotary engines were a lot heavier than I expected.

Mark

What did you hear about weight? I've bought a Rx-7 MK1 for the 12A and 5 speed box. The weight figure I got was 160lbs, about the same as the A-series lump it replaces. 'Box will be heavier though.

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

Mark18

posted on 21/4/04 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
My post may have been a little misleading - the engines were heavier than I expected, but on the other hand I was expecting them to be very light - I didn't realise they went as far back as the 70's, and was expecting them to be aluminium etc.

Mark

GO

posted on 21/4/04 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
The reason mazda say to top up the oil so regularly is that the rotaries actually have oil injectors in the housings to keep the apex seals on the rotors lubricated as they sweep round the housing. It helps to seal the "chambers" to prevent blow-by and stops the seals sticking which very quickly leads to engine annihilation!

A lot of people do away with the oil injectors and mix 2-stroke oil in the fuel tank instead - its supposed to improve combustion and reduce carbon build up.

I believe the wet weight of the 13b, all ancils and tranny to be sub 150kgs, which compared to chrisg's engine research on another thread isn't too bad at all. Cant remember where I got this info from though so too sure how reliable it is, wanna weigh mine before I finally get it mounted, but then I've removed most of the emissions junk, the monstrous cast manifold (thats got to be 10-15kg on its own!), and I may well replace the standard injection system as well so its not exactly going to be standard!

derf

posted on 22/4/04 at 02:40 AM Reply With Quote
yes, all the emissions and exhaust stuff weigh alot, between the huge solid manifold, and the 50 lbs worth of exaust stuff.....

I did weigh the exaust stuff in at 42 lbs.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.