Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering column confusion
scoobyis2cool

posted on 20/4/04 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Steering column confusion

I'm trying to wire up my Sierra column but none of the wire colours seem to match up with the wires in the Haynes manual! I'm looking at the 4 multi-sockets on the column, can anyone give me a hand as to where I can find the diagrams for these in the manual as I think I may be looking at the wrong diagrams?

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
elitewiring

posted on 20/4/04 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
ignition switch: red (30) is main supply to switch, yellow (r) is stage 1 and 2, black/yellow (15) is stage 2 and 3, blue/black (50) is stage 3(starter).
light switch: red (30)(blk 15 pre 1987) is power supply in for side lights, brn (31)(red 30 pre 1987) is power supply in for main/dip, grey (58) output to side lights, brown/black (56)(white/black s54 pre 1987) is out put to main/dip switch.
hazard/indicator switch: red (30) permanent supply for hazards, black (54) is ignition switched supply for indicators, black/red (49) is output to flasher relay, black/white (49a) is input from flasher relay, black/white (l) is output to left indicators, blk/grn (r) is output to right indicators,.
note there are two blk/wht wires you will need to check the pin numbers (49a and l).
hope that all helps.
regards matt at elite wiring.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 24/4/04 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help Matt, but I'm still a bit confused

My wiring loom only has 3 wires to the ignition switch but my steering column ignition has 4 wires (as described above). Any ideas which wire I don't connect to my loom?

Pete

[Edited on 24/4/04 by scoobyis2cool]

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 25/4/04 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Pre and post 87 have different terminal arrangements and switching. For instance 53c pre 87 earths a live fed washer motor. Post 87, 53c feeds power to the washer motor.
Switch diagrams on page 13.25 (94 & 102) and 13.37 (124 & 157) of Haynes.
Connect Bk/Y Bk/B & R. The Y wire is for radio.

[Edited on 25/4/04 by Dusty]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.