Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Automatic wipers drive me nuts!
David Jenkins

posted on 7/1/11 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Automatic wipers drive me nuts!

I'm in the mood for a rant...

The past few days I've been driving to and from work along the A12, mostly in drizzle and road spray. In previous cars I'd just put the wipers on intermittent and pick an interval that did the job.

My present car has an 'automatic wiper' setting instead of 'timed intermittent' - what a waste of time that is! Instead of selecting an interval I now select 'sensitivity'. The actual effect is that the wipers work randomly, sometimes leaving the screen obscured by drizzle/spray, sometimes going full-time on a dry screen.

The only other choices are to switch the wipers to normal sweep, which is often too much wiping, or use the 'press for a sweep' every 5 seconds, which is distracting.

This car is a Focus, but I've had the same issues previously with a Golf Gti.

Has anyone EVER had these things working to their satisfaction?

Arghh!... and *breathe* - in... out... in... out... ah - that's better!

</end rant>

balidey

posted on 7/1/11 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
good rant.
On the subject of wipers / washers. My car (Fiat Seicento Sporting ) allows me to spray my front washers independantly of the wipers. This in my opinion is a god send. The number of other cars I have been in when you spray but are either frozen or empty and then the wipers just smear the screen. Now I can set my wipers how I like and spray when I like.
Older cars are great. The human brain is a better on-board computer than a silly car ECU.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

dhutch

posted on 7/1/11 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got a 306 with auto wipers and they are actaully dam good.

However spary covered roads are there weakness as you say, becuase while its fine if its wet enough or raining at the same time there not clever enough to be able to add water when need so it can end up just getting more and more bleary untill it goes flat out on a dry screen so I have to admit for winter spray conditions when its all full of salt i tend to go back to manually requesting each sweep and or some water (and accompanying three sweep).

Quite often you can put it on auto and then just manually pull it for water every 10miles or so. All just depends on the condition.

Most annoying thing for me is that while your doing all this your throwing buckets of neat -25 protected screenwash away because you can beg your left arm that if you drop down to a 50/50 mix it will be -15 and all turn solid the following day.

Good rant however!

Daniel

[Edited on 7/1/2011 by dhutch]

blakep82

posted on 7/1/11 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
i get just as annoyed. its stupid, especially this time of year when you get dry salty stuff on the window and it goes to town smearing it. i haven't even got sensetivity on mine, just auto or on. it gets left off most of the time...

gets even worse when someone else is driving, the wipers come on when the windscreens completely dry and they don't realise its doing it, because 'the car takes care it it', no it doesn't! it knows f*ck all about what i can see!

[Edited on 7/1/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RazMan

posted on 7/1/11 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with you David - modern cars seem to have gadgets which sometimes make no sense at all and just seem to be designed to annoy!

[Edited on 7-1-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 7/1/11 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Another pointless added extra is......

auto-dimming rear view mirrors.

Do you know why they are fitted? Because every bugger now has really bright, badly aligned headlamps. Or they all drive 4x4 with HIDs that are so high off the ground they light up the inside of my car.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

David Jenkins

posted on 7/1/11 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't mind if there was an intermittent option as well as the auto setting. I could live with that.

The other lazy-people option is automatic headlights - my car has that as well, but I rarely use it. Only last weekend I thought I was being flashed by the car behind me as I drove through an underpass, but I realised later that it was just the auto-headlights coming on. These are fine if you're touring on an Italian autoroute with hundreds of long dark tunnels, as then they make sense. In UK conditions - maybe not...

My auto-dimming mirror is the only gadget I do like!

[Edited on 7/1/11 by David Jenkins]

speedyxjs

posted on 7/1/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Tip for reducing spray - stay further behind the car i front :p

Obviously this doesn't stop the spray but reduces it alot until a bus or lorry comes the other way lol

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

r1_pete

posted on 7/1/11 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
My L200, yes a high 4x4 with HID (but proper self levelling) lights, but no interior rear veiw mirror, has speed sensitive wipers, so despite being set to intermitant, at anything over about 50 they just switch to constant, very annoying when the screen is not properly wet and the washers are frozen up!!!.

So much so I've got a squeezy bottle full of screenwash which I use to manually squirt the windscreen

[Edited on 7/1/11 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 7/1/11 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Our old 306 had the auto-wipers - PITA as far as I'm concerned, they never reacted how you'd expect or want in any conditions. I made do with manually wiping as needed.

Now adjustable delay intermittent wipers are fabulous IMHO - you can set them just right for 99% of UK driving conditions.

David Jenkins

posted on 7/1/11 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Tip for reducing spray - stay further behind the car i front :p

Obviously this doesn't stop the spray but reduces it alot until a bus or lorry comes the other way lol

I'm actually quite good at keeping back from the car in front - unless some bar-steward changes lane into the gap!

Trouble is that on the A12 you're passing HGVs every 30 seconds, and they chuck out some muck...

Daddylonglegs

posted on 7/1/11 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, good rant

We have a 308 and the damn things are either every 1 second (over 60mph) or every 2 seconds, that's it!

The other PITA is the fact they are designed for driving on the continent, i.e. LH-drive, so the final wipe is by the passenger side blade so it always leaves a streak across the driver's view

Feel better now

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

stevebubs

posted on 7/1/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
My 58 mondeo titanium had auto wipers - but it also had a manual intermittent setting...are you sure you're not missing a trick? Got to say I did tend to over-ride the auto setting an awful lot, though.

Current Beemer auto wipers appear to work just fine...not had to over-ride that yet 3 months down the line..

T66

posted on 7/1/11 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
The wife has an 09 Focus - giving the screen a wash is fairly pointless, it washes the krud off lovely, then pauses around ten seconds till the screen has air dried itself, and puts in another wipe which creates the biggest skeet of slime across the screen.

Every time !

It has been driven all winter with a manky screen

tandi

posted on 7/1/11 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
The wife has an 09 Focus - giving the screen a wash is fairly pointless, it washes the krud off lovely, then pauses around ten seconds till the screen has air dried itself, and puts in another wipe which creates the biggest skeet of slime across the screen.

Our VW Touran does exactly the same thing, the extra wipe is completely pointless!!

Jasper

posted on 7/1/11 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

Current Beemer auto wipers appear to work just fine...not had to over-ride that yet 3 months down the line..

Yeah - good old German engineering, my Beemers auto wipers are superb, as are the auto lights and rear view mirror. And along with the cruise control and auto box I just sit there and point it in the right direction

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

AndyW

posted on 7/1/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

Yeah - good old German engineering, my Beemers auto wipers are superb, as are the auto lights and rear view mirror. And along with the cruise control and auto box I just sit there and point it in the right direction

Yup, could not agree more, german enginering, my Audi does the same, including lane assist so i dont even have to point it in the right direction, cos it tells me if Im not.....

On a serious not the auto wipers seem ok but occasionally I do turn off , but all in a fine invention that works well for me...

NigeEss

posted on 7/1/11 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Got them on my Pug 406 and they're crap.
Would love to find a way to convert them to intermittent.

The other thing that annoys me is every time I get in the s0dding climate
control switches itself to "Auto"

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 7/1/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have 06 mondeo, brilliant. just adjust the sensitivity and it always seems to work fine.

That extra wipe is to get the last little bits of water off that normal systems leave on the screen. I've never had any issues with it doing it on mine. I have blade wipers fitted to mine which are much better than the original type of wipers.

Auto dimming mirror too, which is great because i've never been blinded by anything.

Moaning for the sake of moaning i think

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

morcus

posted on 7/1/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I weirdly hate wipers in general. I don't have auto wipers but most of the time I think the speeds are wrong so I often do it completely manually in drizzel and light rain unless I feel it's unsafe to do so.

My car also does that stupid thing where it does two wipes when you spray the screen, one to clear the much then one to scrape all the crud on the wipers back over the screen, I had quite a problem with this coming back from christmas as the car had been sat for four days in which time it had been snowed on and all melted leaving alot of dirt on the blades, which I only found out on the M4 when I tried to clean of Spray from passing a lorry, as it wasn't raining it just meant I had to drive to the next services and clean the blades (I should have done before I left I suppose but It's not something I've ever had a problem with before.)

I dislike most of the automated functions on these kind of things (I really don't like self cancelling indicators), the only one of these I do like is how on modern cars the lights turn off when you turn off the engine.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

David Jenkins

posted on 7/1/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Moaning for the sake of moaning i think

Absolutely!

posted on 7/1/11 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
The car manufacturers have yet to implement the best auto function.

The one that detects "lack of fog" and turns off the front fog lights.

Paul G

morcus

posted on 7/1/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I like that Idea. Surely that one must be possible.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

mr_pr

posted on 7/1/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
My Audi works awesomely!

The sensitivity switch for auto is also the delay adjust when in intermittent...

My Build Progress

stevebubs

posted on 7/1/11 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
The car manufacturers have yet to implement the best auto function.

The one that detects "lack of fog" and turns off the front fog lights.

Paul G

Here Here!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.