Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What are your projects not related to building the car, that’s the reason why your take so damn long to finish it...
Mr Whippy

posted on 14/2/11 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
What are your projects not related to building the car, that’s the reason why your take so damn long to finish it...

Yeah if you’re like me you just can’t help yourself, all those temptations that you could easily fit in if you forgo the need for sleep, deny reality, to move to a 200 hour day and nearly kill yourself from exhaustion

I was in the garage last night wondering just how I could take 5 years to put back together a kit car that took less than a year the first time?!?!

But then thought to myself, well I am currently building -

A house
4 large r/c model planes
2 large r/c boats
Restoring 2 other cars
A 1/350 fully light model Enterprise (bought for my Christmas)
And restoring an old motor bike

I wonder just where exactly I thought I’d all this spare time as by my calculations I need another 4 lifetimes to finish what I have already got!

Oh dear...looks like I need to research cloning...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 14/2/11 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Been there, several motorbikes at the same time + work on the house.

Just 2 projects now, new boot floor, back wings and doors on the E Type, which is uncovering many old repairs that need re doing.

Rebuilding a Marshall 18 Watt Guitar amplifier.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greglogan

posted on 14/2/11 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
jeez, you think it'll take a long time to build a house?? How long will it take you to build another you???

[Edited on 14/2/11 by greglogan]

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

mcerd1

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
1 - bought a cheap house needing loads of work

2 - started the kit before finishing the garage (and now rebuilding as the old roof couldn't handdle 14" of snow )

3 - tin-top issues - I'm never buying a high millage car again

and thats about it for me apart from time spent in pubs or climbing up big hills - plenty other projects but they are all on hold untill the dax is built....

-

loggyboy

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote

• Being a Dad/Husband
  • Kitchen - 70% done, just Tiliing/splashback, flooring, Cornice, pelmet lights (and an oven/Microwave to swap when Homebase get their arses in gear and deliver).
  • Bathroom 80% complete Towel Rail and flooring to go down
  • Odd jobs - airing cupboard needs an extra shelf, bedroom needs an extra chest of drawers

blakep82

pick up, its getting there
r/c boat, bought from flak monkey in october, ideally was supposed to have it finished in november, as a sort of enthusiasm builder for the truck, a sort of 'well i did that quick, so i can do the same for the truck'. didn't quite work like that
wooden toy lorry for the gf's new nephew born on friday nite, thats nerly done, so thats good

i've either got the time or the money, but never both at the same time lol

my theory is, that the truck will be done the same day as i become top poster. its natural progression...

[Edited on 14/2/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

coozer

No job, no money, no space, too cold and wet , 2 kit cars, one tintop and 2 bikes = lying in front of the telly

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

kipper

other projects

As well as the three wheeler I have three motorbikes,( BSA A65,CB72 Honda, 92 Fireblade,) and now two stationary engines have come my way, Lister CS 6/1 AND A Lister D. I am also building an extention to the workshop. Oh and I have just ordered a bike carb manifold for the stuart Taylor.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

blakep82

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
No job, no money, no space, too cold and wet , 2 kit cars, one tintop and 2 bikes = lying in front of the telly

lol sounds about the same for me too

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nick205

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
My life seems to consist of work and kids at the minute - not fussed on the job and being honest the kids tend to grate a bit as well (luv em really mind).

House/Garden - this always seems able to hoover up time and cash at a phenomenal rate

RWD 205 - this is more or less a collection of a potential parts, some sketches and much thinking

Box cart - this is still on the drawing board, but about to move forward with the arrival of some wheels and a welder

Woodwork - just finished a junior table and benches for the kids and moving onto a dressing table (with lights!) for my daughter

carpmart

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Its the natural way for the sort of characters that use LCB to have a lot of ambition (numerous projects) and little completion.

I've loads of projects and the only one that ever remains completed on time is the race car else I don't get racing which wont be happening!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

coozer

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

Sorry, forgot to add, no motivation.. couldn't be bothered to type it.....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Miks15

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Got a gs500e engined buggy on the go for thrashing round the farm,
Dad bought an old fishing boat which ill be doing up to sell on,
and alot of uni work

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

Sorry, forgot to add, no motivation.. couldn't be bothered to type it.....

Motivation appears in the summer time when it's nice and warm and you think...hmm this would have been a great day to drive the kit car, except it's not together and even if you started now it would be winter again before it's done and so the cycle continues

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

loggyboy

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
My life seems to consist of work and kids at the minute - not fussed on the job and being honest the kids tend to grate a bit as well (luv em really mind).

House/Garden - this always seems able to hoover up time and cash at a phenomenal rate

RWD 205 - this is more or less a collection of a potential parts, some sketches and much thinking

Box cart - this is still on the drawing board, but about to move forward with the arrival of some wheels and a welder

Woodwork - just finished a junior table and benches for the kids and moving onto a dressing table (with lights!) for my daughter

You for got:

Remove Type 9 and sell.

Only teasing, im still in no rush!

oldtimer

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
True, too much stuff on. Bought a 3 storey Victorian project house in October, builders arrived in December and still here (well not today - they let me know yesterday they were spending the day with their wives.....) plus Triumph Speed Twin to finish and a Contessa 26 to keep me busy on the Dart (when I can get down there).......
stevegough

posted on 14/2/11 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
Its the natural way for the sort of characters that use LCB to have a lot of ambition (numerous projects) and little completion.

I've loads of projects and the only one that ever remains completed on time is the race car else I don't get racing which wont be happening!

In that, case - I must be a bit of a maverick here - I have the same sort of mentality, but I always find myself (even having to 'force myself' at times) thinking "its about time I finished that... sliding gate / fishpond / kitcar" and I actually do! I amaze even myself .... right now, I have just finished the kit and I am casting about looking for insipation for something else to 'project' - I always HAVE to be doing something - the bigger the better?

Unfortunately, my wife for the last 34 years also knows this about me.....so.....its a bit of a race.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

StevieB

posted on 14/2/11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Usual stuff for me:

1. House.

2. Fettling my motorbike in order to sell it and buy a better one (which will in turn, no doubt, need some fettling for trail riding).

3. Garden (need to convert my side garden into a hard standing for trailer storage and jet washing off aforementioned motorbike after trail riding).

4. New baby.

eddie99

posted on 14/2/11 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
University and now the race car.... Thats my excuse anyway

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Andybarbet

posted on 14/2/11 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just finishing fitting our kitchen atlast, looking after our 1976 mini, looking after the tintop as and when things crop up, family life in general, kids stuff i.e : beavers, football training, football matches on sundays, swimming lessons, gym classes, fixing stuff that seems to get broken on a weekly basis with 2 boys in the house, both the wife & me working full time, currently restoring an old bmx with 11 year old son, working away quite a bit lately too.

In the pipeline is giving up the council rented garage our mini lives in and moving it to my dads fully enclosed carport, this should save me 50 quid a month garage rent so more pennies for the kitcar build, only downside is ive got to re-roof it for my dad so that another weekend or 2 gone.

I cant think of anything else but i can assure you there must be loads more.

I do manage to keep my finger in on the kitcar build by buying parts & researching stuff ready for when i need it, im in no rush to build the car so would rather hit it when i have the time to enjoy the build without knowing i have a mountain of other things that 'should' be done, plus the kids are only young once so trying to give them opportunities that i didnt have when i was their age.

Lifes busy but we seem to like it that way, im not one to sit around for too long & neither is my wife.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

plentywahalla

posted on 14/2/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
This is soooo reassuring!! So I am not the only one who has too many projects.

1. The locost - Was going to be simple, but getting increasingly complicated.
2. Plentywahalla - check out the avatar, 1943 ex Kriegsmarine built for flag officers of U boat Command.
3. West Solent one-design - Classic racing yacht 1926, beautiful but so much to do.
4. Mini Cooper - Real one not BMW job. One day but no hurry as values increasing.
5. Pearly Miss - Classic rivetted aluminum speedboat 1957. built from surplus aircraft spec after war.

Oh and I should also mention

6. New house - 1930's, lots to do including building new garage for projects 1,4 and 5.
7 Third wife!! - takes up most of my time as hoping will be my last !!

hillbillyracer

posted on 14/2/11 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
This all seems so familiar!

I've not really finished building the workshop (but it's been in use for 8 years!).
The workshop heater needs a re-furb, should've sealed the roof better where the chimney goes through, rust's done for it.
Log splitter needs finished (but it's functional so will I ever get round to it?)
My next runabout car (mk4 Golf) is on the two-poster, head gasket, brakes need sorting, MOT jobs.
Current runabout car (Mk2 Clio) is also in the workshop awaiting windscreen replacement following a "high speed bonnet opening".
Car transporting trailer is waiting new floor, blasting/painting & a brake overhaul.
Need a good clearout of unwanted parts & scrap. Anyone looking for a load of Mini bits?
3 phase genny needs finished so it can live outside & I get more workshop space.
Piping an air-line with outlets into the workshop.
There always some job needing done for the family or friends, but the bit cash that brings allows me a life while I'm trying to save for a house deposit.
But nothing much else apart from a full time job with overtime!

indykid

posted on 14/2/11 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
currently simmering on my full size chef's range:

mechanical engineering masters
electric formula student car drivetrain design and dyno rig
triathlon training, swimming wednesday, riding at the weekend and running when i can be arsed
tinkering with the road bike to get it tri ready
another batch of mx5 subframe braces
getting the mx5 ready for this year's trackdays, service, cambelt, water pump, bushes, sorting rattles and niggles

and come summer....i'll have the powerlite calipers to go on the indy and sort the bump steer out once and for all

Steve Hignett

posted on 15/2/11 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Well they say there's always an exception that disproves the rule...

Whenever I have a "project" on, whether mine or someone elses, I usually go at it as fast as I can without cutting corners...

Right now, I don't have a single penny to put towards a project and won't have for some time, so I keep thinking of stuff that I can do for others!

Ninehigh

posted on 15/2/11 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Work. This encompasses 12-16 hours a day so those days nothing's gonna happen (sometimes I don't have time for breakfast)

Days off are with family when I can, so if I ever get weekends off they'll be gone.
Also consider I barely have enough money to fart right now and we're done

However the garage still needs clearing, it's full of stuff that I'm not happy just binning...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.