Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Drill Guides
paulbeyer

posted on 2/3/11 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Drill Guides

Is there anyone out there with a lathe that could knock me up a couple of little drill guides please?

I have snapped two studs off of my exhaust manifold on my old Saab and need a couple of items turned to act as drill bit guides for a 3mm and 5mm cobalt drill bit as shown below. (I am going to need one with a 3.1mm dia. hole and the other with a 5.1mm dia. hole).

If someone can help I can paypal funds or send a cheque, whatever is best to cover your time, materials and p&p to Bristol.

Thanks.

Paul

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/3/11 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you file the end of the stud totally flat and then use a centre punch to mark the hmm centre you should have no difficulty getting a 5mm drill right down the middle of the stud. Keep gradually going up in size in 1mm steps till you are just under the thread internal diameter. Then you can clean out the old thread from the hole with a small nail or punch. With luck, WD40 and some blowtorch heat you should be able to clean out the hole without the need for retapping.

Just take your time

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 2/3/11 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
That's what extractors are for.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 2/3/11 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
That's what extractors are for.

yeah but you still need to drill a hole for the extractor and tbh they are more likey to just snap leaving a very hard bit of metal in there that you can't even drill out

If there is about 10mm or more left of the stud still sticking out then you can heat it till glowing and leave it like that for about half an hour, hopefully that will break down the corrosion and it will come free

[Edited on 2/3/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

paulbeyer

posted on 2/3/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
The engine in a Saab is tilted at nearly 45 degrees like half of a V8 and the studs are not visible. The only way to access them is with a right angled drill attachment. These guides help you to locate the stud centre accurately without having to remove the head from the engine.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.