Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "New" tin-top advice required..
Bluemoon

posted on 2/6/11 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
"New" tin-top advice required..

Hi All

Need a new tin top. Boring car required must be:

1) low fuel consumption (45mpg+).
2) cheap to run (read service, by garage don't have time at the moment to DIY).
3) reliable
4) enough room for baby stuff in back, taking junk to tip ect.
5) room for 2 children!
6) able to tow at least 1300kg.
7) We intend to keep for 10+ years, do about 12K a year (but you never know might end up commuting in it some-point).
8) Cheap to insure
9) Budget 4-5K

Anyway Looks like 1.9 diesel 2004 Skoda Octavia estate might suite (about 100k on the clock, looks like they eat the millage expect about 350K for a well looked after one??)?

What are the other options?

Never had a Diesel, is it best for reliability/cost to go for an SDI?

I wonder if the TDI's are as reliable/cheap to run, do the turbos cause reliability problems with high mileages?

I suspect for towing we will need to go TDI?

Dan

[Edited on 2/6/11 by Bluemoon]

[Edited on 2/6/11 by Bluemoon]

morcus

posted on 2/6/11 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I think the Skoda would d you fine but I have to ask, why do you want to keep it for 10+ years? I know a few people whp've planned on keeping a car for a long time like this and it's always come back to bite them when they've had to swap it after 3 or 4 years.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Bluemoon

posted on 2/6/11 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
I think the Skoda would d you fine but I have to ask, why do you want to keep it for 10+ years? I know a few people whp've planned on keeping a car for a long time like this and it's always come back to bite them when they've had to swap it after 3 or 4 years.

Don't disagree, but forward planning helps, 10 years motoring for ~£500/year on the car is fine, just need to plan to save so we can afford it's replacement in ten years .

Changing it can actually wastes more cash (unknown car etc) and is hassle; still the octavia seems to hold it's value so I doubt we will lose if we need to sell in a few years (not the plan have better things to do than look for cars, baby, driving the 7 etc!).

Cheers

Dan

Lars

posted on 2/6/11 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 2002 Octavia 1.9 TDI and it is great.
bought with 110k now almost 180k miles.
I service it myself every 10k miles, takes 60 mins max. (not sure about garage costs though)
Not sure about towing
It is generally cheap with tax 120ish and insurance fully comp only around 230 for 20kmiles

If I had a bit more money I would quite like and Audi with the same engine or the Octavia VRS diesel (170hp, but around 60mpg IIRC)

Only real downside of the diesel is that it is louder.

Lars

posted on 2/6/11 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
also make sure that you get teh elegance if you go for an Octavia. (top of the range comes with alloy wheels and other extras)

Bare

posted on 2/6/11 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
ummm the 1300 kg tow 'capability' seems a bit ludricous
Bluemoon

posted on 2/6/11 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
ummm the 1300 kg tow 'capability' seems a bit ludricous

not really max weight of a caravan we have in mind ): . new shape octavia weight 1500kg I think...

richardR1

posted on 2/6/11 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Octavia's do seem to be pretty good value for money. As an alternative what about something like this Altea . Fiancee is on her second Leon FR diesel and they are absolutely fantastic and very well built. The Altea just gets you more car for your buck than the Leon being a less "trendy" looking motor. Similar year but a lot less miles than the Octavias and with the more modern 2.0TDi engine.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

pewe

posted on 2/6/11 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
SAAB 9-5 estates come as diesels (IIRC an Alfa unit), go pretty well, last and last, plus have lots of whistles and bells.
A fair few indies provide service and parts.
My MY2000 is still going strong (famous last words) and others on here will probably say the same.
Worth checking to ensure it's been run on fully synth all its life.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe.

Stott

posted on 2/6/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Don't get an SDI or it'll take you 10 years to get home in it.
matt_gsxr

posted on 2/6/11 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Octavia sounds good to me.
I had a 98 Audi A4 Tdi 1.9 that I sold at 240k miles and was still working fairly fine. Original clutch, original exhaust, great car.

The newer 2.0Tdi engine might be better on paper and it may offer an extra horse or twenty, but I have it in our two current cars and personally I don't like it as much as the 1.9, although it does have a mighty mid-range. I think it is cleaner and more complicated but that is just more bits to go wrong. Don't even contemplate a non-turbo diesel.

Worth getting a more bling model, as the price difference isn't that great once they are 2nd hand, and it makes you feel better in traffic jams.

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.